Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "is it worth it?" flight in F

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
That's nice to know. Is row 1 any better that row 2 for a solo traveller?
I flew solo JFK-LHR last month on a 777 in seat 2A. While it's hard to avoid the temptation of "1A" on your boarding pass, 2A is a great seat on the 777 (at least in my opinion). I know some posters here have already said the noise from the galley and bathroom isn't that bad, but I reckon it's not worth the risk.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Oh, and I do hope the OP does a trip report for us
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jdsworld
Oh, and I do hope the OP does a trip report for us
I'll definitely report back. I probably won't bother much with pictures because you've all seen it before.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I guess it’s my age (74 next week) but I really value the flat bed above all else. I’ve done a fair few 5-6 hour sectors on AA in Domestic First, and frankly find it really uncomfortable after a few hours.

I am addicted to being horizontal
It also means I can get some sleep, and be ready to start a holiday on arrival. The 12h LGW-CPT has me sleeping for 7 hours quite happily!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by T8191
It also means I can get some sleep, and be ready to start a holiday on arrival. The 12h LGW-CPT has me sleeping for 7 hours quite happily!
*chuckles quietly at the joint board effort required some years ago to prise Uncle T and iWife away from TATL trips*
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Okay for some. I'm 62 and never been busier. Haven't had the time to travel for the last three years. The wife's the boss so I just do what I'm told.

Enjoy F...👍
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
*chuckles quietly at the joint board effort required some years ago to prise Uncle T and iWife away from TATL trips*
Yeah ... now with 3 x Hawaii and an imminent 3rd CPT under my belt. Oh, and the double destination of PHX/ANC, self-generated! Does that make me easily led, gullible or now mildly adventurous?
Tiffywren likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Since I semi-retired 5 years ago and started funding all of my own travel, I have been a committed back-of-the-bus flyer.

I have flown international business class quite a few times, either on op-ups or OPM (I miss OPM!) and never been impressed enough to fork out 4-figure sums of my own cash for it.

You still have the climb-over factor, quite a lot of cabin noise and very little privacy. For this reason, I have generally preferred to sit down the back and either spend the extra cash at the destination or save it for another trip.

However, when I spotted a fare of 2371GBP for MAN-LHR-ORD//MIA-LHR-MAN in F, I began to wonder whether the extra step up in comfort, privacy and service in First would convince me that it really is worth stumping up the cash.

Consequently, I am taking off next Thursday, November 1 for my first flight in F.

I thought about posting this either in the Trip Reports or Travel Buzz sections, as it is intended more as an evaluation of premium class travel in general, but since I am flying with BA, I figured this would be the place to get the best pre-flight advice on maximising the experience, as well as finding out whether whatever experience I have is typical for these flights

I am flying out on a 777 in 2A and back on an A380 in 2K (travelling solo). I chose these seats after reading various threads on this forum (I have no status so row 1 seems to be out of bounds).

I have deliberately booked 4-hour connections at LHR in both directions to try out everything I can in the lounges, although as a 40yo single male I might skip the spa treatment in favour of another kind of liquid indulgence!

I'm not quite sure what the future holds for my travels after this experiment. Will I be scraping together mountains of Avios from every conceivable source, scouring ex-EU deals and selling my body (not sure who would buy it, but anyway...) to keep myself quaffing the Kir Royales up front? Or will I be back in the cheap seats with my can of lager and a slightly fatter wallet digging into my backside?

i would never pay real money to fly BA first. As a product it’s a decent J classbut does not compare favourably to CX QR QF J. It does however get you away from cramped world and their poor excuse for a business class product.

Service in F is highly variable, amateur and a shadow of its former self.

i would choose AA 777-300 for all Tatl as the seat is not a million miles from BA F. Food is better and service more consistent.

Enjoy F, but keep your expectations low and it will all be ok. It’s not LH or Swiss F and compared to EY or SQ it’s no more than PY.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by binman; Oct 25, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by T8191
Yeah ... now with 3 x Hawaii and an imminent 3rd CPT under my belt. Oh, and the double destination of PHX/ANC, self-generated! Does that make me easily led, gullible or now mildly adventurous?
That rather sounds like me!
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
That's nice to know. Is row 1 any better that row 2 for a solo traveller?
I was in 2K on the A380 a couple weeks ago - there is virtually no difference with 1K (although people claim a more private feel with the latter). In 1K, I don't particularly like the burst of light when the curtain is opened, as the occasional person comes in from the front. Stick with 2K!
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:54 pm

I'll definitely report back. I probably won't bother much with pictures because you've all seen it before.
Us newbies wouldn't mind more photos tbf!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
I did LHR - JNB in 2A on the A380 and back from CPT in 2A in the 747 as a solo traveler, earlier this year. Both great flights, nice private seats and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Although the outbound was heavily delayed by storm Emma and The Beast from the East, but that's another story. Having said that, I think if a trip involved a long overnight again I would go for J especially if I could get a UD on the 747 or window seat.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by jdsworld
I flew solo JFK-LHR last month on a 777 in seat 2A. While it's hard to avoid the temptation of "1A" on your boarding pass, 2A is a great seat on the 777 (at least in my opinion). I know some posters here have already said the noise from the galley and bathroom isn't that bad, but I reckon it's not worth the risk.
I've flown 2A and 3A on the 777 and slightly preferred 3A as the windows align slightly closer to the seat. I think 1A windows align well also. Sure those more au fait with F then me will be able to advise though.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by binman

Enjoy F, but keep your expectations low and it will all be ok. It’s not LH or Swiss F and compared to EY or SQ it’s no more than PY.
What's PY may I ask?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What's PY may I ask?
Premium economY?

which is a bit unfair on BA F IMHO ( a flat bed beats PY several times over IMHO)

Regards

TBS
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.