Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "is it worth it?" flight in F

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Pretty much how I feel about it. Once in a while I might offload some excess Avios on a flight in F (I'm still earning more than I'm burning, thanks to my UK credit card, that I can't change due to not living there any more).
If you get the chance try VS, their Clubhouse is excellent.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:30 am

Exactly. Millions of people fly in Y (and travel in much worse ways than that) every day. Just because I like rump steak doesn't mean I can't enjoy a hamburger.
This is the best thing i have ever heard and i am stealing it. thank you haha
Sealink and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds like my dad. I don't think he ever flew anything but Y in his life. I once even had to convince him to upgrade a rental car (for 4 adult males plus luggage) from a Renault Twingo to a Volvo estate, by physically taking the 15EUR upgrade fee out of my pocket and physically offering it to him!
We were due to fly Y this year on IB back from MAD until the trip had to be cancelled. As long as they still use the A346 I would have no hesitation in booking Y again as previous experience has shown it's an acceptable experience. Two big plus points in using IB to EZE.....being able to take a day flight as well as the window seats being configured in pairs so you don't have anyone sitting beside you.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by HIDDY
We were due to fly Y this year on IB back from MAD until the trip had to be cancelled. As long as they still use the A346 I would have no hesitation in booking Y again as previous experience has shown it's an acceptable experience. Two big plus points in using IB to EZE.....being able to take a day flight as well as the window seats being configured in pairs so you don't have anyone sitting beside you.
I much prefer day flights too. I just arrive in better shape, particularly on a westbound.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Pretty sure the majority of us started flying in Y without any issues (flew LGW GND in 90s and loved it, then LHR BOS in 2008 and it was great, both Y) but J has ruined us.

I need to fly Y again to rediscover just how "not that bad" it is.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Over the last 4 months have flown Eu to Au via BA F, QR Y, and this week BA F again. Both F flights were booked ex Prg using GUF vouchers. On reflection the real benefits to me flying F over Y have been a). Increased TPs and avios, b.) Increased personal space and improved/ extended quality/quantity of sleep via lay flat seating. c.) Gate louse feel good factor!
Service and food were good in both classes. Downside flying BA F using a voucher via a TA has been 4 flights to get to Melb (Prg Lhr Sin Syd Mel) and of course the cost - which has still been good value though with the voucher. (GBP3500). Benefit of Y was more direct routing (after positioning to Lhr from Prg using avios) Lhr Doh Mel and cost (GBP750). As a Gold the airport experiences didnt differ other than access to the Concorde lounge in Lhr.
I plan to return to Y with either QF or QR for my next trip in Feb (maybe Lhr dct Per on the QF 787) after flying back from here in F again. Must admit that I am now quite happy to mix and match the class of travel even though I thought that flying predominantly J over the last 5 years would have spoilt me. To me, saving nearly A$4500 in the process (minus the value of the extra avios) once in a while is quite a good substitute for the feel good factor of flying in F or J for that matter..

OF
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
My limit for Y is 5h/5h30m.
I fly only for leisure and I don't get any bonus point being uncomfortable for long hours... so why should I? When I was 20, 30 even, things were different, but now at 45 and no longer "in shape", I want comfort
That said, J is perfectly fine even in my least preferred seat type, because it will be always better than an Y seat.
Flying F, done basically* only via UUA or GUF, remains a special treat.

*I paid for F in one case only, ex-CAI with QR when the local currency dived hard and the price of F was less than booking J from Europe.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.