Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I agree the temperature should be set at 21c.
perhaps you could feed this back to your company? It seems a regular occurrence on this forum and is a real bone of contention amongst many BA travellers.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by highexpectations

ive never seen anyone in their boxers, but fair enough if you’ve been doing it since 2006. I wear my cool shorts and t shirt and have purchased USB fans as I can’t depend on the crew setting a low temperature.
I've 'slept' in my boxers twice this year. Both in 53k where I just slipped off my jeans!!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
If only BA would have overhead blowers on their longhaul fleet it would help a lot
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by eugegall
I've 'slept' in my boxers twice this year. Both in 53k where I just slipped off my jeans!!
Not done it on BA but did once on a VS flight to JNB. Even then I was still hot and it would have been plainly noticeable that I was not wearing a top as I only had the duvet covering my legs. I didn't inflict anything worse on anyone and slipped on the sleep suit trousers under the duvet before getting up though.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
This thread reminded me to buy myself a USB fan ( I went with
Amazon Amazon
).

In general I sleep in shorts and a light t-shirt on BA flights, and bring along a light flat sheet and sleep on top of the heavier bedding provided by BA. But I'm still often too warm though I'll usually have a chat with the cabin crew which is usually effective. What always bugs me is that it will often be perfectly comfortable and then when dinner ends it's suddenly 5C warmer in the cabin which is not conducive for sleeping or working.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dylanks
What always bugs me is that it will often be perfectly comfortable and then when dinner ends it's suddenly 5C warmer in the cabin which is not conducive for sleeping or working.
Yes that seems to be the standard. Of course they’d be too hot delivering service if they put it up at that point, so they wait till you’ve eaten and then crank it up hoping you’ll shut up and go to sleep. It happens day in day out. The fact that some of us have actually had to go out and buy a USB fan is, in my opinion, ridiculous and I can’t believe that BA management don’t do anything about it.
I had a long chat with a BA First officer about this on the transit and he said BA pilots were fully aware of what goes on but generally leave it up to the crew, which annoyed me as then I thought who’s in charge here! 🙄
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I enjoy cozying up wrapped in my duvet as much as the next person, but a light blanket works better for me in a seat, due to gravity and space as well as the temperature. Lying down though, a Scandinavian-style duvet is the only thing that works me; having a loose sheet below and above gets messed up in no time, unless of course they are tightly tucked into the bed frame as various sources display the convention at catholic boarding schools, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

For the last 4-5 years, I have found cabin temperatures to be consistent enough to allow me to predict and prepare for what I need wear for the flight.

Most of my travel is between LHR and Asia or US on the A380, 773, and 747 types so my experience informs me for these trips If I wear a cotton shirt or polo top, I'll either need a light cotton sweater or the blanket in flight for comfort.

I am particular sensitive to high temperatures and will begin to feel uncomfortably warm from 22° upwards, where the main aspect of discomfort in a hot/dry cabin environment begins with a burning nasal sensation. I actually experienced this on Sunday while the aircraft was parked on the stand during a short period - the auxiliary power unit must have been switched off for approx 15 minutes while the aircraft was being de-iced. Fortunately, the cabin temperature restored to around 20° before we pushed back.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:21 am

I love when aeroplanes have nozzles to direct a cool airflow when required. In BA F, I can rarely sleep because it is horribly hot. Perhaps this is because at home the window is always open when sleeping and a snug snowy duvet keeps me warm. Normally, I get cold quite quickly but overnight trips on BA leave me sweltering sometimes. Why can't they get this right? People often complain about the food. Seat comfort and practicality is far more important to me. Cathay Pacific have some great F seats for those that toss and turn when sleeping. Qantas mattresses are nice and thick. I sleep better in business class on some other airlines than in BA F.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highexpectations
BA pilots were fully aware of what goes on but generally leave it up to the crew, which annoyed me as then I thought who’s in charge here! 🙄
One of the most interesting things happening in the industry at the moment is the development of data sharing platforms for aircraft operations like Skywise. In the future platforms like this will allow people at airlines like BA who do not currently have access to data about aircraft operations to have ready access to that information. At the moment product people probably cannot prove that crew are keeping the temperatures higher than the manual says they should. In the future however they will know that a particular flight was too hot/cold and be able to take appropriate action, inspiring the crew to set the thermostat at the right level.
Eskimoboy, bisonrav and AnaTravel like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:50 am

I have also purchased USB fans for myself and my partner. Too many hot flights, lesson learned.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Flying to and from the USA in daylight both ways, the temperature difference between the sunlit side and the shadow side of a 787 was quite dramatic. The 787 windows are well known for not blocking heat well, but the difference still surprised me. I was uncomfortably hot in a window seat on the way out, and exactly comfortable on the way back - sitting in almost exactly the same seat each time.

It's hard to imagine that one temperature setting for that zone of the cabin could keep all passengers happy when the thermal regulation of the aircraft structure is so poor.

I tend to find that aircraft with physical, opaque, moving window shades have not had this problem in similar circumstances for me in the past.

In future, I shall try hard to sit on the shadow side of any 787 flight where possible.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:49 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Interesting that this seems to be a known thing. Just on my 1 hour flight from LHR->GLA on an A320 and GLA->LHR on an A321 it was so, so, hot. Perhaps 76 F. I could not wait to get off the plane. Each time I fly BA (I only fly BA domestic within UK), I wonder how anyone can be comfortable on a long haul flight between the temperature and seat space in economy. And when did they start charging for a small glass of soda? I fly Virgin international and the cabin is usually freezing, I love it.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:26 am

Today's BA117 LHR-JFK was freezing - at least down the back out of the sun. My phone 'battery' (I suppose since it's a big block of metal) measured a pretty constant 18C all the way. I'm glad I put my cardi on!
Old May 29, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My last two flights in CW were freezing. My hand were super cold. I had to both times ask the crew if they felt cold too as I was freezing and both times they checked the temperature and said it was set to 19C and put it up a few degrees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.