Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Smid
If the plane has the little overhead air blowers, then its not a problem
I agree. Another big plus point for the AA 77W. I'm not sure why BA premium cabins don't have them. Is it cost or perhaps the fact that you're typically a long way from the vent so it's deemed to be less effective?
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:01 pm

I always bring my portable USB fans, those help a lot Agree with the comments regarding Qatar, I love the individual air vents.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA
Omg I wish this thread appeared before my trip last sunday EZE-LHR. It was 1000% the most uncomfortable trip in a CW ever had; I asked 3x cc to lower the temperature and I was trying to sleep with a gym "heat gear" t shirt . Awful trip is an understatement.
One very nice cc lady stopped by in the middle of the night when I asked for the 2nd time to lower the cabin temperature and she just said "are you still warm?? It has been set at 18degrees last time you asked" (2.5hrs before....)
A quick look around me showed me I was not crazy as the guy next to me was wearing shorts and t-shirt (way smarter than me)...but also a quick walk around the CW mini cabin felt like they must have had an issue with the front CW. Very unfortunate as it was my birthday and I had to go to work with a pounding headache which was not due to alcohol
​​
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
As another data point, Sri Lankan - a country not known for delight in cool temperature - got the temperature in their cabin spot on on my flight last night. Qatar were a little warm but tolerable. This really is something BA should get a handle on, I do think it's essentially a crowd control tactic by the cabin crew but it makes the nice CW bedding pretty pointless. Having said that, CW in the A380 last month was OK, but the outbound to BKK on the same trip was stifling.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by flatlander
You obviously don't fly JAL.

(JAL aircraft are conditioned to ~25C, like the rest of Japan)
Although I normally manage to talk (or beg!) them into lowering the temperature to a more bearable level, it is a big problem with JL, although interestingly it rarely causes me any issues in F (I don't know for sure if they set the temperature lower there but I suspect they do).

I strangely had a recent A380 flight on BA where I felt pretty cold for about 2 hours into the flight though. That was a bit of a surprise. I suspect I was extremely tired after not sleeping enough for weeks.

That could be the trick on coping with hot cabin on JL

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 25, 2018 at 6:22 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA gold
Of course, the pointy end is always a little higher than the bum end, and heat rises. I often find Y to be quite cool, to the point of chilly (I was actually quite chilly on last week's A380 flight in last row of Y) front end quite warm. Not sure how effective zonal controls are at mitigating this...?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:40 am

I had a chat with the crew on a flight in F on a 787 recently and a look at the control panel too after not being able to sleep with or without the blanket. F was indeed the warmest cabin by far at 25ish and Y was significantly cooler (although I didn't go for a walk to check). Didn't see the manual but the crew did confirm that the cabin temps are set differently to reflect day and night flights, but clearly the effectiveness is questionable!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Wasn't the whole marketing campaign for the launch of the current Club World targeted at the Business man (it was the 90's) arriving ready to do a days work? BA go to so much effort (and expense) to achieve this both on the ground and in the air, it seems senseless to not have a defined target that promotes deep sleep rather than actively works against it. Give the Cabin Manager a target set point of 19 on overnight flights and make a point of this being non-negotiable. Don't leave it to the crew to decide what works for them. This would support this club world concept at no real cost. Of course, there will be those who say it is too cold but stick to satisfying your target audience. When it is too hot, not many people disagree. You can see that from the number of people awake watching the IFE at 3am.

There you go Alex - making BA better at no cost.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by highexpectations
you can’t exactly take your clothes off!
Yes you can! I have been doing overnighters in Club World and First just wearing boxer shorts since 2006 and nobody has ever said anything.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
23 degrees that is pretty cold, oooops sorry I get C and F mixed up all the time
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by opalfruit
The perennial BA complaint. Every other airline manages to keep their planes temperate, but BA insist that you boil gently for 7 hours so that you can arrive at your destination nicely fusty and sweaty.

The ideal temperature for sleeping is actually more like 18C, as countless studies have shown.
Yeah, 18. Sleeping under a full duvet in a bed with a thick mattress. What about those PAX sitting in Y under a paper thin little blanket not moving around at all? They would be freezing!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by anniegray
I am always too cold on planes!
That may well be due to the low humidity level!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Although I normally manage to talk (or beg!) them into lowering the temperature to a more bearable level, it is a big problem with JL, although interesting it rarely causes any issues in F (I don't know for sure if they set the temperature lower there but I suspect they do).
I'm usually warm in JL F and uncomfortably hot in the back of the aircraft, as is commonly reported by travellers from temperate climates on JAL.

They may well keep F a bit cooler, since they supply quite heavy pyjamas and a thick blanket in that cabin.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Yeah, 18. Sleeping under a full duvet in a bed with a thick mattress. What about those PAX sitting in Y under a paper thin little blanket not moving around at all? They would be freezing!
thats why the crew generally set a higher temperature in economy than they do in Club or first. But the issue here is that some/many of the crew also set high temperatures in the premium cabins completely destroying any chance of some quality sleep.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Yes you can! I have been doing overnighters in Club World and First just wearing boxer shorts since 2006 and nobody has ever said anything.
ive never seen anyone in their boxers, but fair enough if you’ve been doing it since 2006. I wear my cool shorts and t shirt and have purchased USB fans as I can’t depend on the crew setting a low temperature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.