Cabin Temperature

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:02 am

A quick tip. If the cabin is really hot when your boarding don't start fanning yourself or ask if the heating can be turned down until you take off. I was sitting in Finnair's A350 at Heathrow earlier this year and it was so hot I started to fan myself. The FA came over to me and asked if I was feeling well. I said yes it was just a little too warm. She stared at me with a concerned face and went to ask a colleague for a second opinion if I was fit to travel. You don't need these sort of surprises however well meant.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lizie
A quick tip. If the cabin is really hot when your boarding don't start fanning yourself or ask if the heating can be turned down until you take off. I was sitting in Finnair's A350 at Heathrow earlier this year and it was so hot I started to fan myself. The FA came over to me and asked if I was feeling well. I said yes it was just a little too warm. She stared at me with a concerned face and went to ask a colleague for a second opinion if I was fit to travel. You don't need these sort of surprises however well meant.
Wow that seems a little OTT considering your reasonable answer!
Lizie likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
QR seem to get the temperature right every time I have flown with them.

BA nearly always a problem. As others have said if you are too cold put a jumper on and wrap up in the blanket, then rest of us can stop sweating and ending up with a headache

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
QR seem to get the temperature right every time I have flown with them.

BA nearly always a problem. As others have said if you are too cold put a jumper on and wrap up in the blanket, then rest of us can stop sweating and ending up with a headache, sore nose, throat, dry lips, exhausted and smelly!

EFA
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:50 am

Flying back from JED last week on a 787-9 it was the coldest I have been on a plane. Normally I'm fine in short sleeves, but needed to get hoodie out of my bag, and noticed lots of folk under blankets when I went to the loo. Day flight as well, maybe to do with the overheating brakes that the captain reported later on?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
As most longhaul BA aircraft are not specced with individual air vents, I carry a small (2 coin size but square) thermometer from eBay, in my bag of wires / power adapters. If it exceeds 21.9 I politely ask for the temperature setting to be turned down to whatever is needed (which may bear no resemblance to the actual achieved temperature) to achieve 21 in the passenger cabin, commenting that I understand that the air flow patterns are not uniform within the aircraft, and vary from aircraft to aircraft of the same type, whilst showing the thermometer display. ETA: Personally Id love it to be 18 but thats subjective.

I wait for 20 mins post take off to avoid the it takes time after takeoff reply. Any further fob off at that point elicits a complaint on BA.com - not that that has ever achieved anything other than a generic apology email.

Also useful evidence in certain hotels with those ridiculous PIR activated air con controllers that turn off the air con if motion is not detected - eg at night. Sometimes that can be overridden in the setup menu of the thermostat.

Last edited by rjn21; Oct 24, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Give 'em a glass of wine or two, whack the thermostat up, everyone drops off, chat in galley.

Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Give 'em a glass of wine or two, whack the thermostat up, everyone drops off, chat in galley.

I tried that with 3 glasses of the decent bubbles and 3 glasses of wine yet I still couldn't sleep!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:22 pm

I also found an F flight to be uncomfortably hot...it's frustrating if you're trying to sleep!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by flatlander
Aircraft, meanwhile, have: some people asleep and some not, people not all from a temperate region, not asleep in a bed with typical bed linen (especially in economy), in an environment with strong airflow.

So 21C, the typical design temperature for buildings in most of the world for waking activity, is a much more reasonable compromise.
21C is indeed the correct temperature for waking activity - workers in office buildings and the like, and fine for daytime activity on aeroplanes, but it is too warm for sleeping. It's true, of course, that not all regions of the world have uniform temperatures, and people will adjust and acclimatise to their locality over time - but it still doesn't mean that it is optimal for you or your body. People who live in very warm climates often do not utilise bedclothes or sheets or blankets as there's no need for them, and they may find 18C to be chilly - and that's *exactly* what blankets and pillows are there for. If you are still uncomfortably cold, when under a blanket, with all your clothes on, when the ambient temperature is 18C, then - frankly - something is wrong with you.

Most modern aircraft have the ability to selectively cool or heat zones of the plane, so passengers in Y can be kept a few degrees warmer than those cosseted in J and F. You're right that not everyone will want to sleep during a night flight, and some people will want to sleep on day flight, but the airline should cater generally to the majority of the passengers, not to outliers. Keep it warmer (21C) on day flights, and keep it cooler (19C-18C) on night flights. Ensure each passenger has a blanket if they require one, I'm reasonably sure BA manage to do this even in Y. Passenger comfort would be significantly improved.

FWIW, never had a problem with JAL - though I've only flown with them perhaps 10 times, and mostly longhaul in J/F.
eugegall likes this.

Last edited by opalfruit; Oct 24, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by opalfruit
21C is indeed the correct temperature for waking activity - workers in office buildings and the like, and fine for daytime activity on aeroplanes, but it is too warm for sleeping. It's true, of course, that not all regions of the world have uniform temperatures, and people will adjust and acclimatise to their locality over time - but it still doesn't mean that it is optimal for you or your body. People who live in very warm climates often do not utilise bedclothes or sheets or blankets as there's no need for them, and they may find 18C to be chilly - and that's *exactly* what blankets and pillows are there for. If you are still uncomfortably cold, when under a blanket, with all your clothes on, when the ambient temperature is 18C, then - frankly - something is wrong with you.

Most modern aircraft have the ability to selectively cool or heat zones of the plane, so passengers in Y can be kept a few degrees warmer than those cosseted in J and F. You're right that not everyone will want to sleep during a night flight, and some people will want to sleep on day flight, but the airline should cater generally to the majority of the passengers, not to outliers. Keep it warmer (21C) on day flights, and keep it cooler (19C-18C) on night flights. Ensure each passenger has a blanket if they require one, I'm reasonably sure BA manage to do this even in Y. Passenger comfort would be significantly improved.

FWIW, never had a problem with JAL - though I've only flown with them perhaps 10 times, and mostly longhaul in J/F.
Whilst fully agreeing with everything else, what makes 21c 'correct'? I and plenty of other people I know would happily have the office AC set to 16-18c/low 60s F.

For the first time ever last month I was cold on a plane (QR J 788) - it was wonderful! Rather easily fixed with a blanket. I've sweltered many times on BA although the worst recently was actually in LX J.
eugegall likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Horatio
Whilst fully agreeing with everything else, what makes 21c 'correct'? I and plenty of other people I know would happily have the office AC set to 16-18c/low 60s F.
Perhaps 'correct' was a bit too precise. I don't think there is an actual defined standard, because different offices have different people who do different jobs. Studies have shown that people doing repetitive work (like data entry) or creatives and designers work more efficiently with a warmer temperature, whereas the likes of software engineers and architects do better at lower temperatures. The happy medium most places convene on is around 21-22C. For me, personally, anything above about 22-23 and I can't concentrate on my work, and I work in IT.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by glennhaak
Note to self: Never fly JAL
Further note to self: Fly JL as often as you can as it leaves all other airlines in its wake. Excellent food, excellent service, great wines and Blue Tea with caviar make it top of my list.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
If the plane has the little overhead air blowers, then its not a problem, but recently on the 787 and 380 on BA they've not and its been roasting. I mean I can't sit in the temperature in my clothes never mind sleep in it...

Wheras on QR I was quite hot, but both airvents blowing down on me continually for hours cooled me down...
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by bisonrav

Relax! You get on the horn! I throw some peanuts at 'em. We'll be in Chicago before you know it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.