Cabin Temperature

Old May 29, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA
Today's BA117 LHR-JFK was freezing - at least down the back out of the sun. My phone 'battery' (I suppose since it's a big block of metal) measured a pretty constant 18C all the way. I'm glad I put my cardi on!
See how easy it is to put layers on though? It's not so easy to take them off beyond a certain point...
endoman and LCSinTexas like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i travel with a USB fan as i am always warm...and recently i started carrying a small temp reader too mostly to see what the temp is or if i am crazy lol.

interestingly i found:

CCR on a cool cloudy day, was 24c inside

cabin was kept at 20-21 thru the entire flight which was great because i always prefer to get cozy under the duvet since yes it is always easier to layer up!

unrelated, but it confirmed the AA transcon, which im always boiling hot, reached 25.6c at one point in the flight which is ridiculous.
LCSinTexas and RG1X like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Today's BA117 LHR-JFK was freezing - at least down the back out of the sun. My phone 'battery' (I suppose since it's a big block of metal) measured a pretty constant 18C all the way. I'm glad I put my cardi on!
That's the temperature in my house.
simonsmith, VSLover and endoman like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph
See how easy it is to put layers on though? It's not so easy to take them off beyond a certain point...
That's only good if you have layers to put on. Fortunately I had my cardi which I had on - but was cold, and the crew were going around trying to find people more blankets!
Old May 29, 2022, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by tjcxx
That's the temperature in my house.
You shouldn't have your AC on that low!
Old May 29, 2022, 5:32 pm

That's only good if you have layers to put on. Fortunately I had my cardi which I had on - but was cold, and the crew were going around trying to find people more blankets!
Surely most people to or from London have “layers to put on” (as you did)? Plus 18 degrees is hardly Arctic. A cardi should do it!
endoman likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 6:36 pm

My wife complained on a recent trans Atlantic flight. Was so hot that she was starting to feel quite unwell.

I can usually deal with their "cook the passengers to sleep" obsession, but it was even a bit much for me.
Old May 29, 2022, 6:46 pm

There were plenty of folks in shorts and T-shirts (don't ask me why!).
Old May 29, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
My wife complained on a recent trans Atlantic flight. Was so hot that she was starting to feel quite unwell.

I can usually deal with their "cook the passengers to sleep" obsession, but it was even a bit much for me.
this is what i dont get because the science of sleep is we sleep better at cool temperatures overall.

i feel airlines have some notion that warm temps make people pass out, which works in the short term but not longer.
aristoph likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
After having been in hot cabins on overnights all year, I was pleasantly surprised when flying BA296 last week.
Was almost too cold with just a t-shirt on, but perfectly fine under the blanket.
Haven't slept this well on a plane in a long time.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:02 am

Flew London-Orlando return recently; the outbound (day flight) was freezing. The return at night was far too warm. That seems the wrong way round to me.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
You shouldn't have your AC on that low!
It's 16C inside this morning ! It's not a very warm May in SE England...
Old May 30, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Perhaps it is time for aircraft/seat manufacturers to design in individual air con zones like you now get in cars (perhaps with a more tightly controlled range).
Old May 30, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I think certain seats are much much worse. I've found it so hot flying (back from Vegas about christmas in Club Suite) that in a recent flight I wear shorts, and that has finally allowed me to be cold enough to sleep. I've got no blanket on, this is me, tee shirt and shorts. And finally cool enough to sleep.

Upper Deck on 747 was the worst, it was better on the lower deck. I found that the centre seats in the Club Suite on a 777 were roasting, it felt like they were heated seats, so it wasn't about cabin temperature, it seemed to be electrics. I slept a bit better when they moved me to a spare window seat (We'd chosen the seat when it was old 777 and they'd switched the plane, and we didn't realise until we'd got on).

I dunno, if I needed to be warm to sleep, I'd take a jumper and a coat. With that and a blanket, then perhaps you'd be able to sleep outside in springtime, never mind on a flight. I struggle to find how much more I can take off when I'm in a tee shirt and shorts. I know there's a door on the suite (which frankly kept flying open), but I'd not feel comfortable with the "TAPS AFF!" people seem to be expecting of people who are finding it too warm to sleep...
simonsmith and aristoph like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:10 pm

A bit off topic, but I'm in a hotel (in a very warm country) which has centrally set the AC at 22 degrees. Everyone I've spoken is complaining it's too hot. I've spoken to the front desk twice about the AC already....what would you do? Lobby for 2 degree reduction or suck it up?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.