BA to Japan - Oct 2019

Old Oct 24, 18, 7:11 am
Original Poster

BA to Japan - Oct 2019

Hi all,

Having just come back from a lovely trip to Canada (with an exceptional crew on the way back!) I've been looking to sort out next year's holiday. This will be a trip to Japan in a year's time - mid-October. I know there's the Rugby World Cup on then, so I wanted to get things booked sooner rather than later. I tried to find Avios availability (none, even checking at 1 AM then every couple of minutes after), but that's not too surprising.

Okay, I'll pay cash - but BA says no fares are available for a dummy booking from the 11th-13th (just so I can get an idea of prices - I'll be staying longer than that!)

For the days I'm looked at flying out (11th-13th October), every single direct BA flight to Japan is zeroed out, i.e.:

F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

That applies to HND, NRT (both in Tokyo) and the new route to Osaka.

Any ideas what's going on, folks? The seat maps via Expert Flyer show empty planes, so it looks like they're just not selling tickets at the moment.

If it's still the same in a week's time, when the "out" and "back" days will be within the 355-day range, I'll give them a call.

Last edited by Retron; Oct 24, 18 at 7:27 am
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Redemption Seats are being released 355 days out but I am seeing them snapped up within minute(s). I recently cancelled some J seats for BA to HND as the JAL seats became available. The 2 I cancelled didn't appear to go back into the pot.
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yeah I tried for reward availability too, but even getting to payment page promptly post 1am it errored out as someone got before me.

Went for reward flight from Madrid instead.

But commercially BA flights do seem a bit few and far between and the booking engine promoting AY instead.
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Even if you get flights, hotels might be an issue. A colleague who has secured World Cup tickets is finding them either fully booked or very expensive.
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by vintagepilot View Post
Even if you get flights, hotels might be an issue. A colleague who has secured World Cup tickets is finding them either fully booked or very expensive.
expensive they are, got some reservations Iím happy with but also hoping some cheaper alternatives appear in next year.
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot View Post
Originally Posted by davm666 View Post

expensive they are, got some reservations Iím happy with but also hoping some cheaper alternatives appear in next year.
Might be worth merging this into the existing RWC Ď19 thread?

Taking into account Japan is expensive to start with, I have founds hotels fairly reasonably priced, but availability is a challenge already. This is principally caused by the tournament agreement ringfencing huge swathes of availability for tour packages, corporates, teams, sponsors etc. Resulting in most chain properties having no or very limited rooms.

So it will be a very similar proposition to previous tournaments, albeit I havenít seen any evidence of the complete and utter gouging seen in cities like Cardiff at the 2015 tournament.
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davm666 View Post
There looks to be availability on the IHG hotels I'm looking at, at least out to early October... they don't currently allow booking out as far as midmonth, but I suspect availability will be fine then.

Incidentally, by sheer good fortune, I re-ran an award search earlier and two CW seats popped up on the 13th October to HND, so I've snagged them.

The flight (BA7) is still showing complete zeroes on Flyertalk for cash fares, though, so something weird's going on. Everything in October is completely zeroed. For the last week in September, only F, J, W and Y, B, H fares are available - i.e. the full-price, flexible fares. I could imagine that on one or two flights before popular games, but for all flights on every day - a year out? Very strange!
Old Oct 25, 18, 3:42 am
Original Poster

An update on this - thanks to jetlag I was wide awake at 1 AM, so saw what happened this morning when flights for the 14th were loaded... and they were zeroed out as soon as they appeared. The 2 redemption Club World seats went almost instantly and the receipients have reserved their seats already - the rest of the plane is showing as empty.

I just can't get my head around this. Yes, it's going to be busy but to zero out the flight as soon as it appears? I'd have thought at the very least they'd be wanting to sell some full-fare First seats, for example. Given that none of the "F0 A0 etc" flights I've looked at have had seats reserved in First, it seems they've not actually sold the seats at all (as choosing seats for free is a perk of flying First).
Old Oct 25, 18, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Given it's the Rugby World Cup in Japan then, and BA have signed a deal with the team and Twickenham, maybe something to do with that?
Old Oct 25, 18, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Retron View Post
An update on this - thanks to jetlag I was wide awake at 1 AM, so saw what happened this morning when flights for the 14th were loaded... and they were zeroed out as soon as they appeared. The 2 redemption Club World seats went almost instantly and the receipients have reserved their seats already - the rest of the plane is showing as empty.

I just can't get my head around this. Yes, it's going to be busy but to zero out the flight as soon as it appears? I'd have thought at the very least they'd be wanting to sell some full-fare First seats, for example. Given that none of the "F0 A0 etc" flights I've looked at have had seats reserved in First, it seems they've not actually sold the seats at all (as choosing seats for free is a perk of flying First).
They presumably are in discussions with tour providers regarding significant group sales during the period so may want to conclude that before they make fares available.

I was one one of the lucky ones to get redemption seats so I havenít spent much time looking for cash fares but AYprices looked fairly normal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: