Lounge in HEL?

Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by groenroos
According to the Finnair website, OW Emerald + Sapphire can only access the AY Schengen lounge when their flight departs from the Schengen area: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...irport/lounges
The language limiting the lounge according to schengen/non-schengen departure is very recent. It wasn't there in late August according to the wayback machine.

I was planning on using the schengen lounge for a future non-schengen flight myself due to the renovations. I hope they don't actually enforce that.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
I managed to squeeze into AY HEL Schengen lounge last week. It can get very busy, which is, I guess, why they try to cap the numbers. Note that AY operate their flights in ‘waves’ in and out, so sometimes it’s very busy then very quiet very suddenly! I’d definitely ask if passing, and if they say no, head to the lounge in the Schengen area. Some nice seats there too.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
According to the Finnair website, OW Emerald + Sapphire can only access the AY Schengen lounge when their flight departs from the Schengen area: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...irport/lounges.
In the past I have had no issues entering the Schengen lounge when departing HEL-LHR (i.e. non-Schengen). At times I was informed (rather grumpily) that I'm in the wrong part of the terminal, but they did let me in.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackcarr
If you are denied access to a OW carrier lounge and you are travelling J or have the appropriate status, I would kick up a stink until they let you in. This goes for HEL as much as anywhere.

I've never been denied access to the non-schengen Finnair lounge in HEL (though have heard of it)
there is a very large reduction in capacity atm hence why AY is taking a pragmatic view and limiting access. If you are very keen to go in though I am sure they could arrange for you to sit on someone’s lap in the lounge
florens likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:34 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I still wonder about Aspire with a guest on Lounge Club though.
If you have UK Amex Plat Priority Pass you will get 1 free guest.
Amex Gold Lounge Club is less than clear. it says any number of guests but doesn't say if any are free.
https://www.loungeclub.com/en/faq/#5

Last edited by DeathSlam; Oct 24, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reason: added UK
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Never had trouble accessing the AY lounge with J on BA (as bronze) but the last time I did was in June.
I actually quite like the Almost @ Home, it has spoiled me for other Lounge Club visits which haven’t lived up to it yet. The atmosphere is certainly nicer than non-Schengen AY with the current renovations (that have been going on for a while now). Food is hit or miss depending on the time, but there’s usually a hot dish and always adequate liquid refreshments (though spirits may be payable)
I’m on course to hit silver and will be flying back in Y on Jan 1st (which will be madness) and was hoping to use the Schengen lounge so will be interested to see peoples experiences.
The only other one I’ve tried is the Schengen aspire (I think) which was nothing to write home about, but still better than some of the LHR LC offerings.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Alibarber
Never had trouble accessing the AY lounge with J on BA (as bronze) but the last time I did was in June.
As noted, due to the renovation works going on, all BA passengers are directed to the almost@home lounge. I haven't heard or read about any exceptions to this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:40 am

Does almost@home still have smoking area inside the lounge?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by florens
As noted, due to the renovation works going on, all BA passengers are directed to the almost@home lounge. I haven't heard or read about any exceptions to this.
Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but now that we actually are embarking on the flight originally mentioned in my first post;

The check-in clerk said pax on BA795 are allowed access to Finnair lounge even during renovations (as it’s dead quiet in the mornings); BA799 & other codeshares are directed to Almost@home.

As such, we got in to the Finnair non-Schengen lounge with no problem at all, and that’s where I’m now writing this, while only slightly regretting the decision to book a 7:55 am flight!
ifearn0thing likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
The Finnair lounge should reopen in February, asked the guy at the desk on Sunday (I was flying Finnair metal) and he seemed fairly confident that Feb was realistic although wouldn't be drawn on early or late in the month.

I guess the next question is, will they then refurbish the main lounge? That would cause some serious disruption.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:45 am

The new independent Plaza Premium lounge will be opened in February. Maybe they will send the C class passengers without any high OW status there. Just guessing.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
HEL lounges used to be my favourite as they offered some nice sauna retreat while not leaving the airport. Now they are the worst. Overcrowded, sub par food, patchy WiFI... now when connecting through HEL I try to plan my trips just to change from flight to flight to avoid spending time at the airport which seems to be very busy at all times. Is it operating close to its capacity? Anyone know?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by tenn_ace
Is it operating close to its capacity? Anyone know?
A new central part of the non-Schengen area will be opened in February (the independent lounge and connecting centre will be located there) The domestic wing will be opened in the summer. They are both small improvements but on the whole it will be few more years all the improvements to be ready.

Last edited by nordic; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nordic

A new central part of the non-Schengen area will be opened in February (the independent lounge and connecting Centre) will be located there. The domestic wing will be opened in the summer. They are both small improvements but on the whole it will be few more years all the improvements to be read.
a bit of a shame because I generally like FInnair product to the Far East.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
The new AY premium lounge opening in February will be much larger than the old one which should tackle the overcrowding for a few years at least. It has also been hinted to have a la carte dining and much improved wifi. The question still remains what will happen to passengers of the regular non-Schengen lounge in February as refurbishments in that part of the lounge starts. Will they be allowed to use the new premiun lounge or sent to other lounges?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.