Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Ex-EU What positoning flight would you take?

Old Oct 24, 18, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Further to the really helpful advice, I got on an earlier thread, Iím weighing up my options for an upcoming ex EU.

I need to get to Amsterdam so I can get on BA431 Ė which departs @ 11:35.

Time doesnít permit me to be in Amsterdam the night before.

I live in SE London so my airport preference is LCY, LGW then LHR. The options I have for the positioning flights are (sorted in departure time order)

6am LGW (easyjet) 8:30

6:40 LHR 9:05

7:15 LCY 9:20

7:40 LGW 10:05

8:20 LHR 10:40

8:35 LCY 10:45

My preference is the LCY 7:15 flight but welcome otherís views on their risk tolerance as Iím fairly sure this quite a well-trodden route by Flyertalkers
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just take the BA430 08:20 - 10:40 from LHR; get off and get back on
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you are positioning on the day the only sane answer is surely the BA430 and do the b2b.

EDIT: to add there is some exEU planning advice in this thread Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 24, 18 at 4:49 am
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:10 am

If you have to take luggage - then leave it on the arrivals floor at T5 and pay to hold it for 2/3 hours
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
When is your onward flight from LHR after you arrive from AMS?
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:19 am
Original Poster

4pm - That's on the same ticket so I'm relaxed about that.
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:21 am

The only way I would relax on same day return is back to back. Imagine sitting at LCY watching a red list of cancelled / delayed flights due to fog
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:23 am
Suspended

For Ex-Eu to be worth it, there needs to be a thorough risk assessment and plans A, B, C and D.

The risk assessment would eliminate LCY due to the fog risk. Plan A could be the b2b, but there appears to be no opportunity for Plan B.

Perhaps consider changing to a later flight from LHR.
Newbtravelle likes this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:25 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
The only option is the B2B. If anything happens to that, you will be in a much better position.
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by lizban View Post
4pm - That's on the same ticket so I'm relaxed about that.
Definitely the only sensible option is the b2b then. If you have HBO that is simple, no issues. If you have luggage to check in, when you do OLCI for AMS-LHR-XXX do NOT select any bags to checkin, then when you arrive at LHR in the morning for the positioning flight you can ask nicely if they will accept your bags there and then for LHR-XXX only. If they do not then you will have to leave them at left luggage downstairs and then collect them during your connection later in the day and check them in at that point.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
I've left my bags at the bag storage in the lounges a few times when doing a B2B at GOT.

​​​​​​LCY isn't an airport I would ideally do a B2B or position from. Maybe with a few hour buffer but not early morning.
Have done that once on a forums DUB-HNL trip, and whilst everyone ex-DUB got to HNL the same day(s) via LHR etc., delays into LCY caused a lot of issues getting rebooked.
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
Plan A could be the b2b, but there appears to be no opportunity for Plan B.
There almost never is a "plan B" with a b2b. The idea of a b2b (whenever b2b is sensible) is that it is the solution that minimises risk and therefore obviates the need for a plan B since any irrop on the positioning flight will translate into a corresponding irrop on the first flight of the main itinerary. thereby giving the passenger the breathing space to still make the connection between positioning flight and main itinerary.
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
When is your onward flight from LHR after you arrive from AMS?
The onward flight is largely irrelevant (whether its MCT or many hours) - the OP must be at AMS to catch the BA431 @ 11.35 - on that basis the least risk option (of those presented) is to position on the BA430 (B2B, get off and back on the same plane).

Any other option (presented) will go to complete pot (and bring the whole ex-EU crashing down) with even relatively minor IRROPS.
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FT
My wife attempted the LCY positioning option a couple of weeks ago. The flight was canceled due to fog. BA initially were offering her LGW or LHR flights. Somehow she got them to waive the AMS-LHR leg and let her start the journey from LHR. I was very doubtful and was worried her whole itinerary would be screwed up but it all worked smoothly. She lost the AMS-LHR avios and TP but had a much less stressful day. Now she's back, I think asking BA for ORC might be a bit too cheeky.
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Duncs View Post
My wife attempted the LCY positioning option a couple of weeks ago. The flight was canceled due to fog. BA initially were offering her LGW or LHR flights. Somehow she got them to waive the AMS-LHR leg and let her start the journey from LHR. I was very doubtful and was worried her whole itinerary would be screwed up but it all worked smoothly. She lost the AMS-LHR avios and TP but had a much less stressful day. Now she's back, I think asking BA for ORC might be a bit too cheeky.
Yes I agree. She was very lucky to get away with that and get the trip reticketed starting in LHR. Same advice would apply as noted above, do the b2b to avoid exactly this situation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: