Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in Y was actually not bad!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I am in that small minority (afaik) that actually prefer WT to WTP when I have to fly LH in non premium cabins. I just don't get on with the WTP seat enough to justify the difference.

And nowadays the other thing that never happened in my past is that if I do fly at the back on a leisure route, it's quite likely I'd be in the higher echelon for CIV score in the cabin. So that can help in terms of service.

Plus as has been echoed here, actually crews at the back are often very good. Can't always say the same for pax however, but I guess people can behave badly in J also, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Still rather be in J though, but with a 2yo now, I imagine it'll be a slightly different leisure travel outlook for a little while than previously. Although oddly, that again may well make Y travel easier. Sharing a 3 by the window now he needs his own seat should make it more palatable.

Last edited by Pascoe; Oct 26, 2018 at 5:31 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
In 10 days i've got my first BA Longhaul flight in Y in 31 years (I deem longhaul as anything longer than US East Coast!) - which was also my first flight (well, the return was I suppose) I'm off to SIN - as I was then.

Yet I travel to Asia 3-6 times a year, and can normally pick my carrier (60% of the time it's Y). I've used a ridiculous amount of airlines (SQ, MH & EK are my goto carriers). And yet I use BA a dozen times or so a year shorthaul, so consider myself loyal, but, just never longhaul. Price, comfort, and knowing I can get emergency exits on Middle Eastern and Asian carriers.

I'm actually almost excited! Does help i'm on the A380, and have shelled out £75 for an emergency exit (i'm 6ft6). This forum really does it's best to temper any expectations (which are rock bottom). I don't read the F / C Trip Reviews, but might knock one up for this as, of course, most people travel in Y, so it might be more helpful... (also i've got a bunch of flights around Asia including seaplanes) so will be interesting. I'm feeling positive as the staff have been amazing in my 100+ BA shorthaul flights, fully expect that to carry over into longhaul.
The exit seats on the A380 are good with fixed armrests but there are no windows to look out of and no side bins whether that's row 70 or 80. If your in the rear mini cabin there is hardly any foot traffic as it's dead end so to speak (bar a staircase which is gated off) but the galley is there although the odd passenger strolls down. The overhead bins are down there are much narrower though then the main UD cabin in front of that so if you are HBO and a roll on you may want to stick your case at the end of the main cabin there.

The plus point is there is a curtain at row 70, if your at the front end of Y which shields the toilet door and of course you're off a bit quicker than if you were in the mini cabin.

Here are some pictures, a very long flight and if you are carrying a rucksack/bag I usually stick this on the floor after take off (packed with a big soft jersey/old hoodie for comfort) after take off as a very convenient leg/foot rest. Have a good flight and wise being tall to pay for an exit seat on such a long flight. ^

Nice pictures and summary there xenole and kudos to ahmetdouas for starting a Y thread, not something we read about on here much! ^
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by PETER01
The exit seats on the A380 are good with fixed armrests but there are no windows to look out of and no side bins whether that's row 70 or 80. If your in the rear mini cabin there is hardly any foot traffic as it's dead end so to speak (bar a staircase which is gated off) but the galley is there although the odd passenger strolls down. The overhead bins are down there are much narrower though then the main UD cabin in front of that so if you are HBO and a roll on you may want to stick your case at the end of the main cabin there.

The plus point is there is a curtain at row 70, if your at the front end of Y which shields the toilet door and of course you're off a bit quicker than if you were in the mini cabin.
I'm in 80A, did pick up your points in the A380 seating thread so thanks for your help. It's the first time i've paid for seating (not on a loco anyway) as appreciate the number of Golds that might nab the seats. I never have any problems getting emergency exits normally, and am using QR on the return as I can get a note put in my booking. I've A380's SQ, EK, EY, MH & TG so looking forward to the comparison!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'm in 80A, did pick up your points in the A380 seating thread so thanks for your help. It's the first time i've paid for seating (not on a loco anyway) as appreciate the number of Golds that might nab the seats. I never have any problems getting emergency exits normally, and am using QR on the return as I can get a note put in my booking. I've A380's SQ, EK, EY, MH & TG so looking forward to the comparison!
Ah, I see and hope it was of some use even if it a few years old but still relevant I suppose. An updated TR with your views, and sharper pictures than mine , would be great in my view if you can do that and I for one look forward to your comparison as I haven't done much Y travel on the carriers you mention and I'm looking to spread my wings just for a sheer change so look forward to a read
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
In 10 days i've got my first BA Longhaul flight in Y in 31 years (I deem longhaul as anything longer than US East Coast!) - which was also my first flight (well, the return was I suppose) I'm off to SIN - as I was then.

Yet I travel to Asia 3-6 times a year, and can normally pick my carrier (60% of the time it's Y). I've used a ridiculous amount of airlines (SQ, MH & EK are my goto carriers). And yet I use BA a dozen times or so a year shorthaul, so consider myself loyal, but, just never longhaul. Price, comfort, and knowing I can get emergency exits on Middle Eastern and Asian carriers.

I'm actually almost excited! Does help i'm on the A380, and have shelled out £75 for an emergency exit (i'm 6ft6). This forum really does it's best to temper any expectations (which are rock bottom). I don't read the F / C Trip Reviews, but might knock one up for this as, of course, most people travel in Y, so it might be more helpful... (also i've got a bunch of flights around Asia including seaplanes) so will be interesting. I'm feeling positive as the staff have been amazing in my 100+ BA shorthaul flights, fully expect that to carry over into longhaul.
The BA380 is my favorite Y seat in the sky. I don't know why, but I'm pretty much always able to sleep decently.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Ok the 787 in Y was not bad, helped further that the seat in the middle was empty so could stretch my legs there. (I had a window seat, 23A on the 787-8). Got about 3-4 hours of sleep! What was really annoying is I could not change the window dimmers, I think the Cabin Crew removed manual control? So I couldn't dim it when they wanted to serve people meals!

Oh and the chicken curry out of YYZ was much worse than the Chicken Curry out of LHR. Plenty of drinks on board again, so not an issue there. The seat's earphones were slightly broken meaning I couldn't hear the IFE well and also the USB charger was broken, but since the middle seat was empty I just used that one. I was too tired to even bother telling the cabin crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.