BA in Y was actually not bad!

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Another useful tip for Y travellers that are less than 6ft - inflatable foot rests. Makes sleeping a lot easier if your legs are slightly higher up.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
With some pre planning flying in Y should hold no fears.
No amount of pre-planning, nor purchases of inflatable accessories, can overcome the sheer discomfort of being jammed in a tight, uncomfortable seat for hours on end.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Unless I get a good deal, most of my flights are in Y. The food is reasonable (particularly the curry) and at least on BA the crew are friendly. Having lounge access before definitely helps though.

It's really a matter of managing your expectations: I don't expect a lot and tend to just settle down for the trip (on the last trip the CSD (?) wanted to 'greet' me, but I slept virtually the whole 8 hours (UK-US) - he did so with 20 minutes to landing...).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
90-95% of the world flies in economy so thread titles like these always make me smile. Course it isnt that bad. Couple of these threads on here make it sound like its some sort of punishing experience. On BA, the newer world traveler is actually quite pleasant and the crews generally excellent. Food is fine, IFE decent and if youve got some status or pay a bit extra, some of the exit row seats/seats with no seat in front (747) are really good for extra legroom. Frankly some of the BA fares going at the moment make economy travel far more preferable in my opinion, with value for money in mind.
BearX220, HIDDY and Bloonface like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors; Finnair Plus; Eastern Miles; Revarew
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
90-95% of the world flies in economy so thread titles like these always make me smile. Course it isn’t that bad. Couple of these threads on here make it sound like it’s some sort of punishing experience. On BA, the newer world traveler is actually quite pleasant and the crews generally excellent. Food is fine, IFE decent and if you’ve got some status or pay a bit extra, some of the exit row seats/seats with no seat in front (747) are really good for extra legroom. Frankly some of the BA fares going at the moment make economy travel far more preferable in my opinion, with value for money in mind.
I always find it fun to read people saying things like "I'll never, ever fly Economy, ever" and think "yeah at least you have the choice mate".

Sure business class is probably nicer. It's not 1,000+ extra nicer.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:11 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Bloonface
Sure business class is probably nicer. It's not 1,000+ extra nicer.
It is if somebody else is paying for it.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220
This is a US-domestic differentiation strategy for Delta. AA and UA are racing each other to the bottom in Y, and DL is betting that the Y trade will pay a smidgen more for more comfort / amenities, including seatback IFE, and less misery. I pray they are right.
Delta's recent profits seem to support the 'We're trying to be the less awful option' strategy. Though one of the balance sheet tradeoffs is that they haven't even bothered with Y catering/drinks for sub-hour spoke flights since the merger, which I've become okay with given their other strengths.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
90-95% of the world flies in economy so thread titles like these always make me smile. Course it isnt that bad. Couple of these threads on here make it sound like its some sort of punishing experience. On BA, the newer world traveler is actually quite pleasant and the crews generally excellent. Food is fine, IFE decent and if youve got some status or pay a bit extra, some of the exit row seats/seats with no seat in front (747) are really good for extra legroom. Frankly some of the BA fares going at the moment make economy travel far more preferable in my opinion, with value for money in mind.
I think it all depends on how much flying you do. 90-95% of the world does not fly every month once or twice long haul. If you do, then a lie flat bed will make a HUGE difference.

Years ago due to travel policy and my seniority level I had to travel from Europe to Taiwan in Y every quarter. It was frankly unhealthy and utterly uncomfortable. Now I always travel J in long haul and I can indeed feel the difference.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Y travel is a topical issue for me at the mo as Im off Lhr -Mel in Y with QR next week. First time down the back in 4 years of regular Eu - Au travel on the back of BA F travel Prg to Syd a few weeks ago. Pre boarding will be no drama as with status I will get lounge access priority boarding etc etc. Expectations ? Some discomfort - limited recline let alone lie flat , But major cash saving (at GBP 750) over even a BA WT or WT+ ticket) which I could have upgraded to WT+ or BA J with a GUF . Will be interesting to see how I actually feel about the experience after the trip as I have recently become a bit blah zey these days about turning left on boarding and spending money which realistically could be put to better use (my choice of course). Too lazy to write TPs which have no doubt been done to death on this route - but I shall try and remain objective throughout the trip and compare this Y experience with my perceived value for money of BA F (using GUF) and QR Y ( upstairs A380 and aisle so a pretty good Y seat as things go these days). Depending how this goes my next xmas trip in mid Dec will be a Prg Syd in either a BA WT upgraded to WT+ or if there are tears (yet no tear points) a WT+ upgraded to J outbound and maybe....if Im feeling particularly in need of some positive stroking (i.e. some self patting on ones back for another year of long distance commuting accomplished,) I may cough up the extra 600 quid and fly back in BA F - not that I need the pjs!.

QF

Last edited by OldFruity; Oct 23, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You'll be needing one of these

https://www.soarigami.com/products/soarigami
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA gold
Y is fine. It's other people.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
It depends on what you are expecting and comparing. However, glad you enjoyed/survived.
I find BA biz quite poor and BA 1st an adequate biz class.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
This is a US-domestic differentiation strategy for Delta. AA and UA are racing each other to the bottom in Y, and DL is betting that the Y trade will pay a smidgen more for more comfort / amenities, including seatback IFE, and less misery. I pray they are right.
This happens on the DL10/DL11 flights to/from MSP & LHR. Much more food than the standard BA offering, and the water bottle for each passenger is a nice touch.

DL also offers 3 main course options and one of those is a very nice salad with steak/chicken - quite a reasonable serving it is too!

It always runs out even though numerous flight attendants state each month they increase the proportion of main course salads!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm glad I found this thread. Asking for some advice from all you seasoned pros, as I only fly domestically. I'm trying to determine best way to fly to LHR from SEA in end of Jan 2019. There are great fares right now for Y class. IcelandAir is $350 or BA is $500. I won't get miles with IA, but will get minimal (25%?) with BA. I've never flown either. Opinions if you were in my position.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Bret Vreeland
I'm glad I found this thread. Asking for some advice from all you seasoned pros, as I only fly domestically. I'm trying to determine best way to fly to LHR from SEA in end of Jan 2019. There are great fares right now for Y class. IcelandAir is $350 or BA is $500. I won't get miles with IA, but will get minimal (25%?) with BA. I've never flown either. Opinions if you were in my position.
The miles are unlikely to be worth $150 so the question is (assuming BA the price is for the direct BA SEA-LHR) whether an extra $150 is worth it for you for a direct flight. That's probably going to be the main thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.