Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to redeem Multi-partner reward flights?

How to redeem Multi-partner reward flights?

Old Oct 23, 18, 2:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: ba
Posts: 15
How to redeem Multi-partner reward flights?

May I know the rules of redeeming Multi-partner reward flights?
I tried to find it on BA website but I couldnt find it. How many stopover(s) / transit(s) / openjaw(s) are allowed in this reward methods? Also, is it similar to AsiaMiles OneWorld award? Thank you so much.
leonwan is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:39 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 17,108
Originally Posted by leonwan View Post
May I know the rules of redeeming Multi-partner reward flights?
I tried to find it on BA website but I couldn't find it. How many stopover(s) / transit(s) / openjaw(s) are allowed in this reward methods?
Also, is it similar to AsiaMiles OneWorld award? Thank you so much.
The BA rewards info is on the BA web site.
Look here --->Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

BAEC rewards have different rules to AsiaMiles.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:22 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: ba
Posts: 15
Thank you. I see this post. But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods. Also, can I redeem the below itinerary

HKG-TPE-HKG-SYD-MEL-HKG-LHR-BCN-HKG
leonwan is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:28 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, TAP Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by leonwan View Post
HKG-TPE-HKG-SYD-MEL-HKG-LHR-BCN-HKG
No, any backtracking will almost certainly be thrown out at ticketing stage, after you have wasted hours finding availability and relaying it a confused agent!
s1362083 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:30 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,567
Originally Posted by leonwan View Post
Thank you. I see this post. But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods. Also, can I redeem the below itinerary

HKG-TPE-HKG-SYD-MEL-HKG-LHR-BCN-HKG
Max 8 segments, 1 open jaw, no BA flights allowed. Your proposed itinerary is not eligible
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:33 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: ba
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Max 8 segments, 1 open jaw, no BA flights allowed. Your proposed itinerary is not eligible
no BA flights allowed? or I can redeem BA plus CX, QR, QF etc...
leonwan is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:38 am
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 32,028
Originally Posted by leonwan View Post
no BA flights allowed? or I can redeem BA plus CX, QR, QF etc...
BA and two or more partners is fine.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 5:10 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by s1362083 View Post
No, any backtracking will almost certainly be thrown out at ticketing stage, after you have wasted hours finding availability and relaying it a confused agent!
Feedback on that point seems to differ, may depend on the agent in charge of ticketing:

Multi-Carrier Reward Flights

A lot regarding these multi-partner is at best unpublished it appears, and at worst I wouldn't be surprised if it were improvised entirely!
etiene is offline  
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:22 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 17,108
Originally Posted by leonwan View Post
But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods.

Also, can I redeem the below itinerary
HKG-TPE-HKG-SYD-MEL-HKG-LHR-BCN-HKG
Yes, if available. But will be several separate awards. Not 1 award.
BA avios award cost is by segment

For short cheap economy flights SYD-MEL & LHR-BCN may be better value buying with cash
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 12:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Yes, if available. But will be several separate awards. Not 1 award.
BA avios award cost is by segment

For short cheap economy flights SYD-MEL & LHR-BCN may be better value buying with cash
This is incorrect: this itinerary must include [at a guess] CX, QF & BA/IB and would thus be charged on the multi-partner award chart which is mileage based - there is an open question about whether backtracking is allowed though, with mixed reports.
etiene is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 1:12 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: Starbucks Rewards GOLD
Posts: 1,484
Backtracking is allowed and so are land sectors that won't count against your 8 allowed sectors.
mario is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:49 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Backtracking is allowed and so are land sectors that won't count against your 8 allowed sectors.
Most reports I've seen say one overland sector - though I'd be happy to be corrected on that...?
etiene is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 3:44 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: Starbucks Rewards GOLD
Posts: 1,484
I booked LHR-DOH-LAX,SFO-HND-SIN,PER-MEL-SIN-HKG-LHR. So, two land sectors and I was never told about any restrictions (why should there be any if this is based on mileage?). In addition:

The calculation of Avios is based on the flown mileage (i.e. land segments do not count) and the longest flight in the itinerary - whatever cabin you book on the longest flight in the itinerary will dictate the cabin charged, even if all other sectors are in a different cabin.
mario is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I booked LHR-DOH-LAX,SFO-HND-SIN,PER-MEL-SIN-HKG-LHR. So, two land sectors and I was never told about any restrictions (why should there be any if this is based on mileage?). In addition:

The calculation of Avios is based on the flown mileage (i.e. land segments do not count) and the longest flight in the itinerary - whatever cabin you book on the longest flight in the itinerary will dictate the cabin charged, even if all other sectors are in a different cabin.
Arbitrary rule would admittedly be arbitrary - just what I have seen reported [e.g. OMAAT]. I'm currently trying to build up one of these, so always looking to build up my mental picture of the "rules" - It's good to hear about first hand examples, cheers! Can I ask how long ago this was [to try to judge the danger of running into a different/updated set of unwritten rules]?
etiene is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:43 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: ba
Posts: 15
Is that depend on the agent?

Because I tried to redeem a ticket (HKG-LHR-CPH-HEL-DOH-HKG), the agent said that I should divide it in 2 booking. (HKG-LHR-CPH // HEL-DOH-HKG) costs 56000 Avios in economy class. (CPH-HEL) costs 4500 Avios in economy class. How the agent calculate it?
leonwan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: