FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How to redeem Multi-partner reward flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1936924-how-redeem-multi-partner-reward-flights.html)

leonwan Oct 23, 2018 2:30 am

How to redeem Multi-partner reward flights?

May I know the rules of redeeming Multi-partner reward flights?
I tried to find it on BA website but I couldnt find it. How many stopover(s) / transit(s) / openjaw(s) are allowed in this reward methods? Also, is it similar to AsiaMiles OneWorld award? Thank you so much.

Mwenenzi Oct 23, 2018 2:39 am

Originally Posted by leonwan (Post 30345705)
May I know the rules of redeeming Multi-partner reward flights?
I tried to find it on BA website but I couldn't find it. How many stopover(s) / transit(s) / openjaw(s) are allowed in this reward methods?
Also, is it similar to AsiaMiles OneWorld award? Thank you so much.

The BA rewards info is on the BA web site.
Look here --->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...8-edition.html

BAEC rewards have different rules to AsiaMiles.

leonwan Oct 23, 2018 3:22 am

Thank you. I see this post. But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods. Also, can I redeem the below itinerary

HKG-TPE-HKG-SYD-MEL-HKG-LHR-BCN-HKG

s1362083 Oct 23, 2018 3:28 am

Originally Posted by leonwan (Post 30345796)

No, any backtracking will almost certainly be thrown out at ticketing stage, after you have wasted hours finding availability and relaying it a confused agent!

ajeleonard Oct 23, 2018 3:30 am

Thank you. I see this post. But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods. Also, can I redeem the below itinerary

Max 8 segments, 1 open jaw, no BA flights allowed. Your proposed itinerary is not eligible

leonwan Oct 23, 2018 3:33 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 30345813)
Max 8 segments, 1 open jaw, no BA flights allowed. Your proposed itinerary is not eligible

no BA flights allowed? or I can redeem BA plus CX, QR, QF etc...

KARFA Oct 23, 2018 3:38 am

Originally Posted by leonwan (Post 30345823)
no BA flights allowed? or I can redeem BA plus CX, QR, QF etc...

BA and two or more partners is fine.

etiene Oct 23, 2018 5:10 am

Originally Posted by s1362083 (Post 30345808)
No, any backtracking will almost certainly be thrown out at ticketing stage, after you have wasted hours finding availability and relaying it a confused agent!

Feedback on that point seems to differ, may depend on the agent in charge of ticketing:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...flights-2.html

A lot regarding these multi-partner is at best unpublished it appears, and at worst I wouldn't be surprised if it were improvised entirely!

Mwenenzi Oct 23, 2018 3:22 pm

But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods.

Also, can I redeem the below itinerary

Yes, if available. But will be several separate awards. Not 1 award.
BA avios award cost is by segment

For short cheap economy flights SYD-MEL & LHR-BCN may be better value buying with cash

etiene Oct 24, 2018 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30348098)
Yes, if available. But will be several separate awards. Not 1 award.
BA avios award cost is by segment

For short cheap economy flights SYD-MEL & LHR-BCN may be better value buying with cash

This is incorrect: this itinerary must include [at a guess] CX, QF & BA/IB and would thus be charged on the multi-partner award chart which is mileage based - there is an open question about whether backtracking is allowed though, with mixed reports.

mario Oct 24, 2018 1:12 am

Backtracking is allowed and so are land sectors that won't count against your 8 allowed sectors.

etiene Oct 24, 2018 2:49 am

Originally Posted by mario (Post 30349596)
Backtracking is allowed and so are land sectors that won't count against your 8 allowed sectors.

Most reports I've seen say one overland sector - though I'd be happy to be corrected on that...?

mario Oct 24, 2018 3:44 am

I booked LHR-DOH-LAX,SFO-HND-SIN,PER-MEL-SIN-HKG-LHR. So, two land sectors and I was never told about any restrictions (why should there be any if this is based on mileage?). In addition:

The calculation of Avios is based on the flown mileage (i.e. land segments do not count) and the longest flight in the itinerary - whatever cabin you book on the longest flight in the itinerary will dictate the cabin charged, even if all other sectors are in a different cabin.

etiene Oct 24, 2018 4:21 am

Originally Posted by mario (Post 30349812)
I booked LHR-DOH-LAX,SFO-HND-SIN,PER-MEL-SIN-HKG-LHR. So, two land sectors and I was never told about any restrictions (why should there be any if this is based on mileage?). In addition:

The calculation of Avios is based on the flown mileage (i.e. land segments do not count) and the longest flight in the itinerary - whatever cabin you book on the longest flight in the itinerary will dictate the cabin charged, even if all other sectors are in a different cabin.

Arbitrary rule would admittedly be arbitrary - just what I have seen reported [e.g. OMAAT]. I'm currently trying to build up one of these, so always looking to build up my mental picture of the "rules" - It's good to hear about first hand examples, cheers! Can I ask how long ago this was [to try to judge the danger of running into a different/updated set of unwritten rules]?

leonwan Oct 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Is that depend on the agent?

Because I tried to redeem a ticket (HKG-LHR-CPH-HEL-DOH-HKG), the agent said that I should divide it in 2 booking. (HKG-LHR-CPH // HEL-DOH-HKG) costs 56000 Avios in economy class. (CPH-HEL) costs 4500 Avios in economy class. How the agent calculate it?