Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to redeem Multi-partner reward flights?

Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba

May I know the rules of redeeming Multi-partner reward flights?
I tried to find it on BA website but I couldnt find it. How many stopover(s) / transit(s) / openjaw(s) are allowed in this reward methods? Also, is it similar to AsiaMiles OneWorld award? Thank you so much.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leonwan
May I know the rules of redeeming Multi-partner reward flights?
I tried to find it on BA website but I couldn't find it. How many stopover(s) / transit(s) / openjaw(s) are allowed in this reward methods?
Also, is it similar to AsiaMiles OneWorld award? Thank you so much.
The BA rewards info is on the BA web site.
Look here --->Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

BAEC rewards have different rules to AsiaMiles.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I see this post. But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods. Also, can I redeem the below itinerary

HKG-TPE-HKG-SYD-MEL-HKG-LHR-BCN-HKG
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
No, any backtracking will almost certainly be thrown out at ticketing stage, after you have wasted hours finding availability and relaying it a confused agent!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Thank you. I see this post. But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods. Also, can I redeem the below itinerary

Max 8 segments, 1 open jaw, no BA flights allowed. Your proposed itinerary is not eligible
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Max 8 segments, 1 open jaw, no BA flights allowed. Your proposed itinerary is not eligible
no BA flights allowed? or I can redeem BA plus CX, QR, QF etc...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
no BA flights allowed? or I can redeem BA plus CX, QR, QF etc...
BA and two or more partners is fine.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by s1362083
No, any backtracking will almost certainly be thrown out at ticketing stage, after you have wasted hours finding availability and relaying it a confused agent!
Feedback on that point seems to differ, may depend on the agent in charge of ticketing:

Multi-Carrier Reward Flights

A lot regarding these multi-partner is at best unpublished it appears, and at worst I wouldn't be surprised if it were improvised entirely!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I want to know more details about how many stopover (s) / transit(s) / openjaw (s) can be allowed in this reward methods.

Also, can I redeem the below itinerary
Yes, if available. But will be several separate awards. Not 1 award.
BA avios award cost is by segment

For short cheap economy flights SYD-MEL & LHR-BCN may be better value buying with cash
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes, if available. But will be several separate awards. Not 1 award.
BA avios award cost is by segment

For short cheap economy flights SYD-MEL & LHR-BCN may be better value buying with cash
This is incorrect: this itinerary must include [at a guess] CX, QF & BA/IB and would thus be charged on the multi-partner award chart which is mileage based - there is an open question about whether backtracking is allowed though, with mixed reports.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Backtracking is allowed and so are land sectors that won't count against your 8 allowed sectors.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by mario
Backtracking is allowed and so are land sectors that won't count against your 8 allowed sectors.
Most reports I've seen say one overland sector - though I'd be happy to be corrected on that...?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I booked LHR-DOH-LAX,SFO-HND-SIN,PER-MEL-SIN-HKG-LHR. So, two land sectors and I was never told about any restrictions (why should there be any if this is based on mileage?). In addition:

The calculation of Avios is based on the flown mileage (i.e. land segments do not count) and the longest flight in the itinerary - whatever cabin you book on the longest flight in the itinerary will dictate the cabin charged, even if all other sectors are in a different cabin.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by mario
I booked LHR-DOH-LAX,SFO-HND-SIN,PER-MEL-SIN-HKG-LHR. So, two land sectors and I was never told about any restrictions (why should there be any if this is based on mileage?). In addition:

The calculation of Avios is based on the flown mileage (i.e. land segments do not count) and the longest flight in the itinerary - whatever cabin you book on the longest flight in the itinerary will dictate the cabin charged, even if all other sectors are in a different cabin.
Arbitrary rule would admittedly be arbitrary - just what I have seen reported [e.g. OMAAT]. I'm currently trying to build up one of these, so always looking to build up my mental picture of the "rules" - It's good to hear about first hand examples, cheers! Can I ask how long ago this was [to try to judge the danger of running into a different/updated set of unwritten rules]?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Is that depend on the agent?

Because I tried to redeem a ticket (HKG-LHR-CPH-HEL-DOH-HKG), the agent said that I should divide it in 2 booking. (HKG-LHR-CPH // HEL-DOH-HKG) costs 56000 Avios in economy class. (CPH-HEL) costs 4500 Avios in economy class. How the agent calculate it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.