JFK CCR - keeping the riffraff out

Old Oct 23, 18, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
JFK CCR - keeping the riffraff out

I took my best mate to New York for a birthday weekend and we returned via JFK last week. I kind of ballsed up and queued at the CW check-in, instead of heading straight for the First check-in as the signage wasn’t that clear.

Anyway, I was unsure of the status of the CCR at JFK T7 and never having been there, we followed the signs to the Lounges. We presented ourselves at the First Lounge where I asked about the Concorde Room and whether it was open. There was a short, but funny conversation, where the lady on the desk seemed very reluctant to even tell me where it was as “you need to have a Concorde Card sir” and I was reluctant to look like a dick and wave the card around when it wasn’t necessary. There followed two circuits round this conversation, before I said that I did indeed, have a Concorde Card and she asked to see it before she told me where it was.

It’s nice to see that they are keeping it exclusive. :-)
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Do you look like a chancer?
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
How strange. It’s not as if there is a hidden door. It’s fairly easy to find. But then again, when you know where something is then it is easy to find.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Totally. I’m from the South West of Scotland so I’m Rab C Nesbitt on a good day!
flapland, Silver Fox, FEMW and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
How strange. Itís not as if there is a hidden door. Itís fairly easy to find. But then again, when you know where something is then it is easy to find.
No hidden door, but no signs either.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I think you are the 'dick' for not showing your card in the first place and having to have 'to circuits' of conversation.

No need to wave your card either. I just present my card with my BP to the agent at the door.

I bet once you left the F lounge the agent said to her colleague 'why didn't he show me the CCR card in the first place instead of wasting his and my time"
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I think you are the 'dick' for not showing your card in the first place and having to have 'to circuits' of conversation.
Having a bad morning there?

Why would I show a Concorde Card to ask directions in a terminal? Apologies if I have violated some etiquette that I am not aware of.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:55 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by JP Flyer View Post

No hidden door, but no signs either.
In JFK T7? Oddly, I had the opposite problem last week, although I am not especially familiar with the terminal. I found the CCR no problem by following the signs for it thinking that the lounges might be next to it (I now know they are not)
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GFL/GGL/CCR, SPG Plat for Life, HHDiamond, xG Aegean, Avis President's Circle
There are a lot of new faces in the JFK T7 J/F check-in areas as well as the F/J Lounges. From a personal perspective, their degree of inexperience and the lack of savoir faire ranges from sweetly apologetic to unpleasantly surly. However, on my two recent visits to the JFK CCR, a new face greeted me, on each occasion, with: ďNo need to produce your CCR card, Mr MGUK. We were expecting youĒ (needles to say I was not traveling in F). Ironically, I was still expected to produce one at T5. My question whether the CCR cards would finally be going electronic indeed next year was answered with rolling eyes.
The staff at JFK CCR was, as always, helpful and gracious. The new Flounge is a big disappointment.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
In JFK T7? Oddly, I had the opposite problem last week, although I am not especially familiar with the terminal. I found the CCR no problem by following the signs for it thinking that the lounges might be next to it (I now know they are not)
Yeah, I did find it easy to find once I knew which end of the terminal to look in, and youíre right in that once you get past the duty free it is well signed.

The lounge itself was excellent with great staff and excellent food and is a very pleasant place to spend an hour or two.
BertieBadger and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador

Having a bad morning there?

Why would I show a Concorde Card to ask directions in a terminal? Apologies if I have violated some etiquette that I am not aware of.

you said yourself that you had two rounds of a conversation about access to the CCR before you showed your card. You could have avoided that by just showing your card to the agent saving both you and her time.
gms likes this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
you said yourself that you had two rounds of a conversation about access to the CCR before you showed your card. You could have avoided that by just showing your card to the agent saving both you and her time.
Well letís just imagine that it was probably not as black and white as it might appear in your mindís eye. I do however think that calling other posters dicks indicates that you maybe need to step away from the keyboard for a bit.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:09 am

Programs: BA, Hilton

Yeah, I did find it easy to find once I knew which end of the terminal to look in, and youíre right in that once you get past the duty free it is well signed.

The lounge itself was excellent with great staff and excellent food and is a very pleasant place to spend an hour or two.
I'm just a regular common-or-garden GCH, so no CCR for me (excepting special occasions if I fly F from a terminal with one), but I guess I did the opposite from you, i.e. turned the wrong way for where I needed to be! Oh well, live and learn and good to hear it's pleasant should I somehow find myself there, especially on account of being weegie riff-raff
JP Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The de-escalation poster has arrived!

Maybe we look away from some of the exact words here, and perhaps a better choice could be made, given the richness of our shared language. We are lucky to have that amazing resource. And we all love one another here, surely. But yes, a quick flash of the white card would save a bit of trouble here, and in any case a quick read up on FT (lounge threads) would tell you the CCR is by gate 2 and unmissable once you are near there.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
In your 6th post you mention 'it was probably not as black and white as it may appear' so really it's impossible to comment as we weren't there.
Obvious solution to me would have been to say you had a CCR card when first asked.
Re UKtravelbear's comment, he has simply quoted the offending word back at you, using quote marks to indicate you had used it first.
Bit of an odd thread so possibly time to close it mods?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: