Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ClubWorld Seating Dilemma - What Would You Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ClubWorld Seating Dilemma - What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SoggyDollar
Why not ask 61B to swap with 61J - aisle seats both.
Yep - I had just realised my utter lack of logical thinking and came here to delete my contribution. But you beat me to it.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by strickers
Thanks, good explanation on the dashboard. It's a night flight so not too bothered about sitting together, I'm more worried about getting bumped using the 241 but with 5 still selling in the bucket I'm fairly confident. Hopefully if we arrive a little early at LHR and smile we should be able to sit close to each other.
I would say there is practically no chance of being bumped FWIW. There was a lot of chatter about 2-4-1s being targeted for downgrades, but personally, I saw no actual evidence presented that it happened. Downgrades are statistically far less frequent than upgrades anyway, so I'd not worry about that one personally. They'd release all the blocked seats first regardless.

So my view would be sit back, relax and enjoy the flight

(And turning up early won't hurt they might be able to shuffle folks, such as any lucky WTP op-ups)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I would say there is practically no chance of being bumped FWIW. There was a lot of chatter about 2-4-1s being targeted for downgrades, but personally, I saw no actual evidence presented that it happened. Downgrades are statistically far less frequent than upgrades anyway, so I'd not worry about that one personally. They'd release all the blocked seats first regardless.

So my view would be sit back, relax and enjoy the flight

(And turning up early won't hurt they might be able to shuffle folks, such as any lucky WTP op-ups)
It's our 4th 241 and we haven't been bumped, yet! I wouldn't say I'm stressed, just that I like to have an idea of the situation before arriving at the airport.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by strickers
It's our 4th 241 and we haven't been bumped, yet! I wouldn't say I'm stressed, just that I like to have an idea of the situation before arriving at the airport.
Can't argue with that - forewarned and all that!
strickers likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

@zafiragirl - Keep an eye on the seat map for any changes, it's not unusual for there to be minor changes. I see from EF that 17 A/B are free for now if you want a guaranteed pair. Not as good as the UD but nevertheless a pair but 17B is near the galley. Just an option as there's no guarantee any swap will happen as it might be a couple in 61B/J who wanted aisle seats opposite each other, possibly. (Photos are of a Super 86J but the main cabin layout, rows 17-20, are still the same here)

Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
it might be a couple in 61B/J who wanted aisle seats opposite each other, possibly.
I maybe misread, but I thought zafarigirl had already secured 61J along with 61A, i.e. they have an aisle on one side and a window on the opposite side (I guess 61K was unavailable)

So a swap 61B - 61J (aisle for aisle) or 61A - 61K (window for window) would put them together in a pair on one side it seems.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:41 am

I maybe misread, but I thought zafarigirl had already secured 61J along with 61A, i.e. they have an aisle on one side and a window on the opposite side (I guess 61K was unavailable)

So a swap 61B - 61J (aisle for aisle) or 61A - 61K (window for window) would put them together in a pair on one side it seems.
You're right Bertie, I misread that, apologies. However, if it were me as a couple I'd still nab 17 A/B as there's no guarantee of a swap on the UD and as we know from here on FT some don't like to be asked but that's another topic. If I were in a K seat on the UD westwards I wouldn't swap for the A side but from B to J aisle I would be fine.

Pete
BertieBadger likes this.

Last edited by PETER01; Oct 25, 2018 at 5:47 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:47 am

However, if it were me as a couple I'd still nab 17 A/B as there's no guarantee of a swap on the UD and as we know from here on FT some don't like to be asked but that's another topic. If I were in a K seat on the UD westwards I wouldn't swap for the A side.
Tricky one certainly and definitely a YMMV situation. I don't fly the 747 very much - I tend to do routes served by 777 / 787 - but I have done CW on both decks and I think I'd always opt for the upper if available (but then Mrs BertieB would be grateful for the break if we weren't together I'm sure )

Good point about people picking their side for sun, views etc, and the approach on asking to swap. As you say, some people object to even being asked. It's not something I have ever done, but when I was asked myself, it was by the CSM/CSD which I think is the correct approach.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:55 am

Tricky one certainly and definitely a YMMV situation. I don't fly the 747 very much - I tend to do routes served by 777 / 787 - but I have done CW on both decks and I think I'd always opt for the upper if available (but then Mrs BertieB would be grateful for the break if we weren't together I'm sure )

Good point about people picking their side for sun, views etc, and the approach on asking to swap. As you say, some people object to even being asked. It's not something I have ever done, but when I was asked myself, it was by the CSM/CSD which I think is the correct approach.
Indeed and we have read stories on here here over the years of people going in the huff when someone doesn't agree to a swap, the seat divider is great for dealing with situations like that which I have experienced! (asked to go from 64K to 64B so the couple could sit together, em, no thanks then the person made a right fuss but the CC firmly sorted it out telling them in no uncertain terms I was staying put! ^)

Oddly enough on a flight from LAX earlier in the year a young couple in the main CW cabin who were split up asked a CC member if they could ask person X for a swap from 20 B to 20 J. The CC stated best to ask the passenger themselves, the right way in my view, but they don't have to swap if declined. Thankfully it all worked out, I think the couple were op up'd bit on different tickets from the conversation I heard which was right next to me. As you say, a sometimes hotly debated subject!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AA : BA
You're right Bertie, I misread that, apologies. However, if it were me as a couple I'd still nab 17 A/B as there's no guarantee of a swap on the UD and as we know from here on FT some don't like to be asked but that's another topic. If I were in a K seat on the UD westwards I wouldn't swap for the A side but from B to J aisle I would be fine.

Pete
I've flown 17B on a night flight and I wouldn't recommend it. You're right by the washroom with all the noise (and smells) and the footstool sticks out into the aisle so you get knocked. Add the proximity to the galley. I would sit any where else before there (except 17D/G/J which have the same problem).

Last edited by SoggyDollar; Oct 25, 2018 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
I've been at work all day, so just catching up on all your comments, thanks again for your collective wisdom!

We do indeed have me in 61A (window) and Mr Z in 61J (aisle), so either if 61K would swap with me or 61B with Mr Z, we'd have a result. I completely 'get' that some people select a particular seat for a reason and may not want to do even an apparently like-for-like swap, and that's totally fine - we're not ones for making a scene!

The 17A/B combo downstairs are less appealing than even the separated seats up top, so I'll happily stick there for a bit, keeping an eye on 64A/B in case they open up at the weekend.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.