Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ClubWorld Seating Dilemma - What Would You Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ClubWorld Seating Dilemma - What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

Immediately after the safety briefing. On the a380 though I think the electronics aren’t turned on for the seat divider until after takeoff so on that aircraft you may have to wait
Thanks KARFA
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
It is indeed the BA0275 to LAS on 30th October.

Thanks so much for all your helpful replies. The lower deck seat map I'm seeing is the same, but the Upper is only showing 64B as empty. Will put husband in that and I'll grab a downstairs window and just haunt the app until OLCI in the hopes that either 64A or the 61J/K pair open up to me at some point. Honestly would be delighted with either of those scenarios! Will be Silver again by February, so really looking forward to having less seat stress then

Is there any mileage in calling BA when seat selection opens for us this afternoon and asking them to put us in row 61 together because they're not taken, or would they be unwilling to do that? Anyone know?

Really appreciate everyone's input x

Last edited by zafiragirl; Oct 23, 2018 at 5:43 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
Is there any mileage in calling BA when seat selection opens for us this afternoon and asking them to put us in row 61 together because they're not taken, or would they be unwilling to do that?
If you get seat selection today because one of you is Bronze, you should have access to all unoccupied seats that are not blocked.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

I ended up having to call anyway. As on previous trips, I had named myself as lead passenger, although husband is the one with Bronze status. On this occasion, the BA computers weren't picking up the fact that seat selection should have been free of charge.

We have at least managed to both secure upper deck seats - 61A and 61J. Hopeful that we may be able to persuade either B or K to do a swap, but far from a disaster if the answer was negative.

Note to self, and any other lowly non-status fliers - don't put yourself as lead pax if there's someone in the booking with higher status!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It should not make a difference; the system should accord you all the privileges of the highest status on the booking.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
It should not make a difference; the system should accord you all the privileges of the highest status on the booking.
Yes, that's what I always thought, and my experience previously. All I know is that that's the reason I was given by the very helpful telephone agent, who had to escalate it to a manager to override the charges for me. It is a while since we've had a BA booking, so I thought maybe the rules had changed.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Just a note as this very topic came up recently - each flight is treated individually for seat selection (unlike check-in), so a Bronze will need to wait until exactly 7 days to the minute before the departure time of the longhaul.

This means if you try tomorrow morning, you will likely find the system still wants to charge you and you'll need to wait until the departure time passes (3.55pm it seems for that flight on that day)
When did that change? It used to be possible to select seats for all flights in a journey when online check-in opened for the first.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
When did that change? It used to be possible to select seats for all flights in a journey when online check-in opened for the first.

At check in, yes. But the 7 days seat selection for Bronze not. I experienced this myself last week. Have a 8 hour layover in London and was just able to select seats for the second flight exactly 8 hours after the first flight . Not sure if and when this changed though..
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 am

I think you still can. The comment is about advance seat selection which seems to work differently.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by HilFly
As helpfully noted by EvD86 and windowontheAside the comment refers to 7 day advance selection by Bronze members, rather than seat selection at check-in. I'm afraid I don't know if the 7 day rule was ever any different in this respect (but comments elsewhere lead me to believe not)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
We have at least managed to both secure upper deck seats - 61A and 61J. Hopeful that we may be able to persuade either B or K to do a swap...
You'd be asking someone with a window seat to move to an aisle seat, and someone with an aisle seat (forward-facing) to move to a window (rear-facing), so you'll have to approach the matter very carefully and not be surprised if the request is politely declined.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
On a similar note, expert flyer is showing 5 seats available in J, I have no status so waiting for T-24 to reserve. However, expert flyer is also showing 9 seats blocked out of 42 on a 789, is this normal?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by strickers
On a similar note, expert flyer is showing 5 seats available in J, I have no status so waiting for T-24 to reserve. However, expert flyer is also showing 9 seats blocked out of 42 on a 789, is this normal?
Is the flight departing within 72 hours? If so, yes, it is normal and is "Theoretical Seating" in action - details in thread linked off the dashboard.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by Misco60
You'd be asking someone with a window seat to move to an aisle seat, and someone with an aisle seat (forward-facing) to move to a window (rear-facing), so you'll have to approach the matter very carefully and not be surprised if the request is politely declined.
Why not ask 61B to swap with 61J - aisle seats both.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Is the flight departing within 72 hours? If so, yes, it is normal and is "Theoretical Seating" in action - details in thread linked off the dashboard.
Thanks, good explanation on the dashboard. It's a night flight so not too bothered about sitting together, I'm more worried about getting bumped using the 241 but with 5 still selling in the bucket I'm fairly confident. Hopefully if we arrive a little early at LHR and smile we should be able to sit close to each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.