FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Lloyd's upgrade voucher - how to book at midnight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1936851-lloyds-upgrade-voucher-how-book-midnight.html)

just_starting Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Lloyd's upgrade voucher - how to book at midnight?

Hi all,

Trying to achieve the almost impossible by getting a return flight to South Africa in December 2019.

Now I know that without the voucher, I could "just" get the two flights at just after midnight T-355.

How does it work with the voucher:
  • Does availability on avios.com update the same time as ba.com?
  • Is there any way to use "half" the voucher first, and the other half a week later? If so, is there any Avios phone number open at midnight?
Don't want to waste yet another voucher on a European flight...

Thanks!

just_starting Oct 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Looking through the forums a bit more, the only option seems to be to book both legs myself using full Avios, then cancelling both bookings, moving the Avios and rebook through Avios.com... Chances of success seem quite slim for this one then!

Ldnn1 Oct 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Is this for the Christmas period? If earlier in December, I would say that in my experience availability lasts longer than you might expect so you don't necessarily need to jump on it at midnight.

For Christmas it's probably more difficult - might be worth giving the cancel and rebook option a go.

Also remember that DUR is an option now.

Travelling Inspector Oct 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Although I've successfully booked BA flights on Avios.com with upgrade vouchers recently, the opening page of the site now warns that closure of that part is imminent so I wouldn't rely on being able to do it online by T-355 for a December flight. Using the voucher on the Avios.com site is automated, the choice is either a return flight for one pax or one-way for two. How it will work when the booking moves to being done on the phone with BA (as I understand it) is anyone's guess, but I would still assume you have to use it all at once.

just_starting Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30344029)
Is this for the Christmas period? If earlier in December, I would say that in my experience availability lasts longer than you might expect so you don't necessarily need to jump on it at midnight.

For Christmas it's probably more difficult - might be worth giving the cancel and rebook option a go.

Also remember that DUR is an option now.

It would be late November or early December, so I might be lucky - but scanning the recent months there seems to be very little available for Aug/Sep/Oct... We'll see!

dddc Oct 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Avios.com is likely to be closed in the next few weeks. The Avios App no longer works as of today.

ceej123 Oct 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by dddc (Post 30344508)
Avios.com is likely to be closed in the next few weeks. The Avios App no longer works as of today.

Indeed there is now a message on the iPhone app which redirects you to the App Store to download the BAEC app. Great but lloyds are still putting avios from the card into that old account!.

NicholasMAN Oct 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by just_starting (Post 30343907)
Hi all,

Trying to achieve the almost impossible by getting a return flight to South Africa in December 2019.

Now I know that without the voucher, I could "just" get the two flights at just after midnight T-355.

How does it work with the voucher:
  • Does availability on avios.com update the same time as ba.com?
  • Is there any way to use "half" the voucher first, and the other half a week later? If so, is there any Avios phone number open at midnight?
Don't want to waste yet another voucher on a European flight...

Thanks!

I have had a recent similar experience with a flight to Osaka for the Rugby World Cup, so will share what I have learned.

The Avios site will not let you book just one, one-way flight - only a return, or two one-ways.

As such I chose to nail my flight with full Avios on BA.com a few seconds after midnight GMT with the hope that the second Business seat released at the same time would still be available when the Avios phone lines opened the following morning.

Thankfully the second seat was still available the following morning, although strictly speaking the criteria above should still be met. However the helpful lady on the phone said that because the return leg wasn't yet available she would put a note on the booking system that it could be added at a later date, when seats are released.

I subsequently cancelled my original booking on BA.com which incurred a £35 cancellation fee. However all the Avios were immediately re-credited as was the tax, less £35.

It remains to be seen whether there will a charge for amending the Lloyds upgrade booking by adding the return.

One question I have myself is whether the return leg has to be added before the expiry date of the voucher now that the voucher has technically been used, or whether it can be added much later. Any info. on this welcome.

Ldnn1 Oct 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by NicholasMAN (Post 30344592)
I subsequently cancelled my original booking on BA.com which incurred a £35 cancellation fee. However all the Avios were immediately re-credited as was the tax, less £35.

There should be no cancellation fee if you cancelled within 24h of booking.

One question I have myself is whether the return leg has to be added before the expiry date of the voucher now that the voucher has technically been used, or whether it can be added much later. Any info. on this welcome.
Don't know, but did the lady specifically confirm that the voucher discount would be applied to the return leg when you added it? i.e. not just that you could add it without a change fee?

NicholasMAN Oct 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30344596)
There should be no cancellation fee if you cancelled within 24h of booking.

Don't know, but did the lady specifically confirm that the voucher discount would be applied to the return leg when you added it? i.e. not just that you could add it without a change fee?

It was more than 24hrs after the original booking. I sat on the original one for a day or so in case any mates wanted to do a name change.

I think there may be a change fee, but its a small price to pay for the benefit of saving a further 36000 Avios.

Ldnn1 Oct 22, 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by NicholasMAN (Post 30344642)
I think there may be a change fee, but its a small price to pay for the benefit of saving a further 36000 Avios.

You misunderstood my question, which was did she specifically confirm that the voucher discount would be applied to the return leg if added later?

In other words, did she confirm you would save that further 36000 avios?

NicholasMAN Oct 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30344657)
You misunderstood my question, which was did she specifically confirm that the voucher discount would be applied to the return leg if added later?

In other words, did she confirm you would save that further 36000 avios?

Not explicitly, no - but I didn't specifically ask the question. However the implication was that the "other half" of the voucher could be used when the seats became available because it could not be used now due to the T-355 situation.

just_starting Oct 23, 2018 11:48 am

I decided it's not worth the risk/hassle and have now booked a Cyprus weekend break using the voucher. Paid just under 20,000 Avios plus just under £50 for what is currently £1,000 face value... Feels a bit of a waste still, but at least it's better than using it for my usual hop to Germany!

Travelling Inspector Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am

That's the sort of thing I've done with upgrade vouchers - RFS to further destinations (Corfu, Albania, Kalamata) which have high CE fares; 17,000 Avios + £50 seems a very worthwhile saving. For comparison, I've never done Reward flights for long haul ex UK as the 'taxes' are so high, but I did do Boston ex Dublin recently. And as an Aerclub member my Avios.com account remains open and active, so Lloyds Avios get credited there and can be moved to BA or IB if/when I need to.

BrianDromey Oct 23, 2018 12:03 pm

My Avios.com account is also an AerClub account, so that should save it from closure and allow me to use the voucher online. I think and hope, but can’t be 100% sure.

That said, I used my last voucher over the phone. The complication of vouchers from an Avios.com HHA and Avios coming from BAEC was easier to do over the phone.