Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting miniature spirit bottles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
So to be clear we fill a glass with one third ice half a miniature and top it up with the mixer, it is not able saving money or being mean but our new service standard which has been brought in to make the service more premium, what you paid for your ticket has no significance.
If you prefer to mix your own just tell the crew as we are more than happy to let you do it yourself and save us the job.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fotographer
BA never gives me enough ice for my G and T
and while I am at it, I prefer lime over lemon... Who drinks a G and T with lemon?
I will tell you who, people like me with good taste.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Just to clarify the title "Splitting miniature spirit bottles"

Is this only happening to gin? If I ask for a whisky - will I get a 'single'?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
This presumably means when one asks for a large whisky, we will now only get one miniature rather than the previous two?!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander

Taking a G&T as an example, the BA mixer comes in 150ml can and the spirit in a 50ml bottle. Mixing these together gets a reasonable proportion of gin to tonic, but placing the entire 50ml of spirit in a glass (already containing ice) and then adding mixer leads to a stronger drink than most people prefer (1:1 ratio is the at the strong end of most G&T mixes). So if you want to serve a glass of G&T in BA glassware, you should not empty the whole container of spirit into the glass.
!
This!! On a non-Ba flight the other day I ended up with a gin and ice. The poor tonic didn't really get to come out of the can due to the glass size and it wasn't a pleasant drink. That said I'd rather they just had bigger glasses...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:50 am

Last flight EDI-LHR they gave me three bottles. I think that’s pretty generous for an hour flight.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Malibu Stacey
Last flight EDI-LHR they gave me three bottles. I think that’s pretty generous for an hour flight.
Hello! Welcome to the Forum and the friendly crowd in here. Your three bottles ensures you will fit in well - excessive drinking is apparently the norm around here
Malibu Stacey likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I questioned him on it, quite politely, and was told BA now have to split these size bottles between customers.

He then said on other flights those bottles have to be split between three people. But as mentioned above that might have been different sized bottles. But he volunteered that information as if I was getting a good deal by having half a bottle.
It sounds like he has his service standards all mixed up!

I generally like mixed fleet, but the service can be a bit random, particularly on the short LBA and MAN flights, where its usually a bit frantic.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Perhaps à consommer avec modération, as they say in France? Welcome nevertheless to Flyertalk Malibu Stacey, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of your in future. I can get 4 cups of tea in between NCL and LHR but that, as they say, is different.
T8191 and Malibu Stacey like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

That's pretty decent! In general I've been mostly tee-total for a few years now so the G & T topic doesn't personally affect me however let me add my welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Board Malibu Stacey.
Malibu Stacey likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Just to clarify the title "Splitting miniature spirit bottles"

Is this only happening to gin? If I ask for a whisky - will I get a 'single'?
All spirts, if you ask for a whisky without any mixer you will get the whole miniature which is a double.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by krispy84
It’s a sad day when a pub optic is the basis of pouring a G&T in a business class cabin. 25ml (or even 35ml) of gin mixed with 150ml of tonic (or less tonic but with ice that then melts) is a complete washout.
Absolutely. While it is a matter of personal preference, I completely agree with your post that 25 or 35 ml of gin mixed with 150 ml of tonic is utterly non-standard.

No competent bar would mix that for you, unless specifically requested. Wikipedia G&T entry says a 1:1 to 1:3 ratio of gin to tonic. With a particularly strong gin (think close to 50 per cent of ABV or even higher), you might go in the direction of 1:3.5 or so.

tl;dr A ratio of 25ml:150ml = 1:6 has little to do with a G&T.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Splitting miniatures and gin:tonic ratios aside, I’ve always found BA crew to be very generous with the booze. Remnants of the old “fill them up and let them snooze” maybe?

I imagine PUCCI poured(s) a good drink!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not as well as she drinks one, she is probably in a drunken stupor right now.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
It was the same on both my Gatwick flights at the weekend, no cans or miniatures in the cabin.

Works fine in a small CE cabin with frequent and proactive top-ups (my outbound was 10 out of 12 CE seats filled), but less successful when it's busy (the return was all 20 seats occupied).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.