Wiki Posts
Search

BA to AA connection at Miami

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
BA to AA connection at Miami

I have a trip to Orlando soon traveling BA ticket and metal via MIA. Can anyone let me know if bags will be checked through and if so is there security when transferring to my AA flight. Can’t see anything on previous threads so any advicc will be much appreciated, thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Your bags will be tagged to MCO, but you will have to collect them and drop them off again at the AA desks after immigration, and then go through security.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
No experience with MIA specifically, but my understanding is that generally speaking while the bags will be checked to your final destination, you'll still need to pick them up in MIA, carry them through customs and then drop them off again.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's the same whether you fly BA or AA - you have to clear US immigration on your first arrival in the US at MIA, and also collect any checked bags to carry them through customs and then re-check them. Bit painful after a long flight, but same at every US airport on a connection.

There is then further security for your onward flight. When I last did an international to domestic connection in MIA (AA to AA) it was all fairly chaotic at the "connections" security, so someone from AA ended up taking us landside and back through the 'regular' security. All in all, a bit of a mess and not a wonderfully smooth connection. The one thing I will say is that AA handled the immigration side of it really well - I got handed an "express connection" pack at the arrival gate which then got me through some diplomatic immigration channel and into the US with zero queue at all. Fab. I don't know why I got that - wasn't a hugely tight connection (2-2.5 hours to MCO?) but I was in business and BAEC Gold so don't know if that helped or it's just AA policy for connections below X minutes?

The one advantage of connecting BA to AA in MIA (as opposed to say Chicago or New York) is that you don't actually have to change terminals.

The new(ish) Flagship Lounge at MIA is great if you have the time. Way better than the old 'premium' lounge still offered by BA.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guessed maybe I had to collect luggage but wasn’t sure. Have a 2.5 hr connection and was hoping for a quick shower and a bite to eat in the Flagship lounge. Let’s hope it all goes smoothly.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Right - on a 2.5 hour connection, I'd think you'll have time for 45-60 mins in the Flagship Lounge if all goes to plan - it's nice, for a US lounge especially!

Look out for the Express Connection bods when you come out of the arrival gate - maybe it's just an AA thing (though it looked more OneWorld to me), but that's where they hang out. I had a 2.5 hour connection to MCO as well, and I see you're Gold too so unless it's just random we share a lot of the criteria for them to give you the EC / immigration fast-track.

Don't forget to check which gate your MCO flight will leave from once you get back airside - some of the gates can be a looooooong walk from the Flagship Lounge so your 45 minutes could become more like 20 if you're not careful...I made that mistake and was plum last to board my connecting flight!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by ratypus
...snip...
Don't forget to check which gate your MCO flight will leave from once you get back airside - some of the gates can be a looooooong walk from the Flagship Lounge so your 45 minutes could become more like 20 if you're not careful...I made that mistake and was plum last to board my connecting flight!
The airtrain is a few steps from the entrance to the Flagship lounge, so if your Orlando flight is way down at either end of the terminal (below 20 or above 50), you can use the train and save some time walking. Check the screens to see if there are delays and note that AA sometimes starts boarding 5 minutes before the normal 30 minute time printed on your pass.
By the way, the showers at the FL (and the AC opposite gate 15) are really nice and I like the C.O. Bigelow Apothecaries lime and coriander products. The AC also has great guacamole in the afternoons (fresh hand-made).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again guys, some really helpful advice.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

QUOTE:
The one advantage of connecting BA to AA in MIA (as opposed to say Chicago or New York) is that you don't actually have to change terminals.

We connect in Chicago on the way home and have a 6hr layover! Was hoping to stay at our arrival terminal in Chicago to use the Flagship lounge there. Am I right in saying I won’t have to collect luggage on my return to London? And am I also right in saying there is a terminal bus connection service that allows pax not to have to clear security again?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Finavia
QUOTE:

We connect in Chicago on the way home and have a 6hr layover! Was hoping to stay at our arrival terminal in Chicago to use the Flagship lounge there. Am I right in saying I won’t have to collect luggage on my return to London? And am I also right in saying there is a terminal bus connection service that allows pax not to have to clear security again?
Hi,

on one ticket , your bags will be tagged through and you will not have to collect them at ORD en route back to london. There is an airside terminal connection bus from T 3 (AA ) to T5 (BA) but I would leave sufficient time to catch it.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.