2 hour transfer BA to AA at JFK

Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

2 hour transfer BA to AA at JFK

I understand the MCT at JFK for this (international BA-domestic AA) is 90 minutes. I have 120 minutes between flights (sold by BA on the same ticket) but travelling Y and with family and don't see how we would reasonably make the internal flight.

Has anyone got experience of making this connection, even with an on-time flight? We arrive 11.30am on a Thursday. Obviously we are protected but would rather not have the hassle of having to sit in JFK waiting several hours for the next flight.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:37 pm

Many people make this connection time every day of the week at JFK. It is a well trodden route from BA T7 to AA T8.

Provided your BA flight is on time, you'll have no issues at all. Take the Airtrain from T7 to T8, and you'll be fine. The main snarl up will be CBP - but at that time of the day in T7 it should be ok. If you have GE then the CBP challenged is removed completely

I wouldn't worry in the slightest I've done this transfer more times than I care to remember.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Depends on how fast immigration and luggage delivery are at T7 and how long the security lines are at T8 but if you're on time, you should make it with time to spare. Don't remember about where you will have to re-check bags (i.e. T7 or T8).
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You sound unhappy with the connection time, as if it wasn't your choice. Was the flight retimed or some such? If so - and depending on the details - then you can ask for alternative options and timings. If HBO this would be a good, perhaps overlong connection. With baggage it should be OK, 90 minutes would indeed be a sensible minimum, and if you are 45 minutes late you are still in with a chance of making the domestic flight.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by bigmerv
I understand the MCT at JFK for this (international BA-domestic AA) is 90 minutes. I have 120 minutes between flights (sold by BA on the same ticket) but travelling Y and with family and don't see how we would reasonably make the internal flight.

Has anyone got experience of making this connection, even with an on-time flight? We arrive 11.30am on a Thursday. Obviously we are protected but would rather not have the hassle of having to sit in JFK waiting several hours for the next flight.
The MCT for any T7 <> T8 connection is actually 120 minutes, so while you have exactly the minimum the airlines will allow, it is still ok. Immigration should usually be alright coming off the BA117, the only other international arrival around that time is ANA from Tokyo which is only a problem if it is late. You can drop you bags off with AA in T7, just turn right as you come out of customs and the desk is at the end on the right. You then head outside and across the street to get the AirTrain. For people with status I would normally recommend taking your bags to T8 yourself because this gives a much higher chance of them making the connection, but for non-status travelers in Y it's probably best to drop them in T7 to avoid T8 queues.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. It sounds more promising, provided arrival into JFK is on time(-ish). I have status so that will assist if there is a rush at T8. I did have Global Entry but it has just expired, but in any event I don't believe I could use that to fast track the rest of the family unfortunately. To CWS' point, not retimed, just a case of booking and then realising afterwards that the connection seemed too tight - probably too many memories of transmitting in MIA and LAX pre-GE where I was still in the immigration queue 2 hours after landing....!
@Airprox ...where do you recommend best to head in T8 for status check in (or bag drop if I already have boarding passes)? I believe check in cutoff for domestic is 42 minutes (45 minutes less 3 minute grace period) as we have bags (would be 27 minutes with HBO).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Without GE I did this in 35mins last time.

I originally had a 1hr 59min connection from BA to AA, but as that's 1min shy of the T7-T8 MCT American automatically adjusted the ticket to the next flight.

Tip: pick seats that get you nearest the exit door of aircraft and get moving. Every person behind you in the line is a roughly a minute saved.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
These days, that connection seems OK to me. The US CBP kiosks have made a world of difference to CBP processing times and queue lengths.

Don't dawdle and have your life in order (paperwork out, don't carry anything requiring extensive inspection, make sure the family haven't stashed fruit or a sandwich in their bags, etc) and it'll be fine.
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by bigmerv
@Airprox ...where do you recommend best to head in T8 for status check in (or bag drop if I already have boarding passes)? I believe check in cutoff for domestic is 42 minutes (45 minutes less 3 minute grace period) as we have bags (would be 27 minutes with HBO).
If you are OWS then you go to the Premium Checkin which is roughly in the middle when you come up the escalator from the corridor from the AirTrain. If you are OWE then you go to Flagship checkin which is through a glass door to the right identified by the podium at the entrance.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
If this on one ticket and the luggage is tagged through to your final airport, you can drop the bags immediately after customs (last time I went through JFK BA->AA it was to the right side coming out of the customs door). Then make sure to take the train going the right direction otherwise it will take a long time.
JFX1764 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
These days, that connection seems OK to me. The US CBP kiosks have made a world of difference to CBP processing times and queue lengths.
You're right - but when the kiosks are out of order (as they were the last time I was in JFK T7 in August at exactly this time of day) it is a bit of a nightmare. The queue snarls all the way back up through the passageway and it can take a while. Not sure if it's been fixed since then, but echo the advice to get off the plane ASAP to minimise your wait time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.