Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
How did you get on @FinnRolo ?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
they are only offering one in First as A is a subset of F.
Yes, I know that, hence my question, "why they aren't selling 2 seats?"

I think Cymro has got it with the broken seat theory.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by bananahead
Booked loads:
12/47/37/234
I would also be interested to know how you get that info.

Originally Posted by stuart_f

I think Cymro has got it with the broken seat theory.
EF defaults to USA POS which, in my limited experience, often shows 1 lower F availability to UK POS. Not sure of logic for this, just what I've observed.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:01 am

Yes, the way airlines work out seats available for sale are an art form. I believe things like overbooking profiles are based on years and reams of historic and predictive data for each particular flight, particular route, particular day, whether or not there are school/other holidays that year etc etc.

The loads I gave towards the start of the thread were the actual booked loads. This will obviously differ to seats available for sale as the aim of the game is to fill the aircraft overall even if it means massively overselling economy closer to departure knowing there is plenty of space further up the jet to fit everyone (well almost in a very overbooked scenario). Most airlines will then try and sell upgrades, sometimes open up more miles/points availability for upgrades or as a last resort 'invol upgrades'. BA uses a 'Discretionary Upgrade Tool' (DUT) which is basically a list of those considered for an invol. If you aren't on the list, you won't be considered.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bananahead

The loads I gave towards the start of the thread were the actual booked loads. …...
I think this is what people are interested in knowing how you got these? There's a lot of discussion whereby people are trying to get to these numbers by using the "seats available" data and making assumptions. This is very handy detail
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I think this is what people are interested in knowing how you got these? There's a lot of discussion whereby people are trying to get to these numbers by using the "seats available" data and making assumptions. This is very handy detail
This is only available to certain members of BA Staff.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Yes, I know that, hence my question, "why they aren't selling 2 seats?"
Another possibility is that although the physical configuration is 14F 52J 36W 235Y, the selling configuration has been set at 13F or 12F (with bigger J, W and Y cabins), and in the latter case perhaps that F1 A1 represents the one F overbooking that BA is (reportedly) prepared to take.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
How did you get on @FinnRolo ?
Based on the loads advised pre-flight, I decided to take my chances and hope for an upgrade. However, I was disappointed.
There was actually one empty seat in the WT+ cabin during the flight, and I think someone purchased 3 upgrades to J at the check-in desk*, so this may have had a bearing.

I guess it's true that one should never be expecting an upgrade, that way you'll always be pleasantly suprised when it does happen.

*This is based on:
Even though I was on the F/Gold/Emerald line, there was a very long wait, as the "senior" agent was called away from one of the two "priority" desks to deal with an issue with a distressed couple checking in at one of the Y desks, and there was a man at the other "priority" desk for an absolute age - I could see a lot of talk going on between himself and the check-in agent, her checking the computer, showing him the screen and her then going over to another agent who came to the desk to assist, then him handing over his credit card and as I got to the next desk she was giving him 3 new boarding passes and tearing up his original ones.
Later on, as I was seating myself, I noticed the same person enter the J cabin.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The upgrades tend to happen when you least expect them to.. I spent ages analysing loads on a flight I was taking earlier this year with a view to an opup from WTP to CW which never happened. On the way back I didn't bother so much (the flight seemed quiet in W and J), and thats when the upgrade happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.