Wiki Posts
Search

Flight load check - Sunday's BA274

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Flight load check - Sunday's BA274

Can anyone tell me what the load is like on tonight's (Sunday 21/10) BA274 from LAS?
Need the info to decide whether to buy an upgrade from WT+ to J (if available) or take my chances - have been lucky a few times on this route in the past.

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by finnrolo
can anyone tell me what the load is like on tonight's (sunday 21/10) ba274 from las?
Need the info to decide whether to buy an upgrade from wt+ to j (if available) or take my chances - have been lucky a few times on this route in the past.

Thanks.
f1 a1 j6 c0 d0 r0 i0 w1 e0 t0 y6 b1h1 k1 m1 l0 v0 s0 n0 q0 o0 g0
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:56 pm

Booked loads:
12/47/37/234

Config
14/52/36/235
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Interestingly the W cabin is fully seat-allocated yet they are happy to sell a full-fare W ticket. There are still quite a few unallocated seats in Y.

I don’t know the ins and outs of when LAS flyers check in etc but on similar loads and seat reservations from other destinations (SIN, BKK) I have generally left it to luck and been rewarded.

Please feed us with a data point whichever option you decide to pick.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bananahead
Booked loads:
12/47/37/234

Config
14/52/36/235
Great info - where did you get this info from?
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Thanks for the info guys.
Yes, I will update with how things go.
mikeyfly and Takiteasy like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Interestingly the W cabin is fully seat-allocated yet they are happy to sell a full-fare W ticket.
Quite normal when there's space in a front cabin to roll people forward if necessary.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

@FinnRolo - If your not aware there is an existing thread on requesting loads here.

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads
FinnRolo likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
@FinnRolo - If your not aware there is an existing thread on requesting loads here.

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads
There is indeed a specific thread for this. On the only occasion I requested some information I never received an answer. Not sure why, but it happens.

Doc Copper
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by navylad

f1 a1 j6 c0 d0 r0 i0 w1 e0 t0 y6 b1h1 k1 m1 l0 v0 s0 n0 q0 o0 g0

Originally Posted by bananahead
Booked loads:
12/47/37/234

Config
14/52/36/235
Fascinating insight here. I can understand y6 despite the already oversold cabin given the possibility of rolling forward upgrades. Equally I understand w1 given the spare space in Club World. What I am struggling to understand as a simple customer is why they are only offering f1 a1 when there are 2 seats free in First. Why isn't this f2 a1 to maximise revenue?
Cymro likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stuart_f
Fascinating insight here. I can understand y6 despite the already oversold cabin given the possibility of rolling forward upgrades. Equally I understand w1 given the spare space in Club World. What I am struggling to understand as a simple customer is why they are only offering f1 a1 when there are 2 seats free in First. Why isn't this f2 a1 to maximise revenue?

Edit: I sort of get it now having thought about it - I think they are actually offering 2 seats in first, one in the A bucket and the other in the F bucket but some flexible business user might want F2...
they are only offering one in First as A is a subset of F.

while F2 might be revenue maximising it may well not be profit maximising - J and W are reputedly more profitable. If history shows the likelihood is that late bookers are more likely to buy those cabins and they are more profitable...then you’d offer those and restrict First.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Perhaps another POS has F2, or married segment logic at play - some other origin would have F2.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter

while F2 might be revenue maximising it may well not be profit maximising - J and W are reputedly more profitable. If history shows the likelihood is that late bookers are more likely to buy those cabins and they are more profitable...then you’d offer those and restrict First.
that would only make sense if the F fare minus the cost of servicing was lower than the J fare minus cost is servicing which is unlikely (not to mention that some F demand would covert to J product)
Cymro likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Given how close we are to travel, it could also be a broken seat in F or reserved for staff travel (if that isn't accounted for in the internal load figures).

As there is no need to roll forward into F, my money is on a broken seat. I don't think there would need to be an extra crew member if they filled that last empty seat in F and while I can see logic in different availability in different points of sale, I can't see how it can maximise revenue to refuse to sell a full F fare when you have the seat, even if J is more profitable (because at the very least, doing so would free up an extra J seat).

I'm confused how you can have Y6 W1 too, given that those 6×Y would mean a total of 8 people rolling forward from W (the one oversale in W + the one existing oversale in Y + six more from Y taking up full seats in W and pushing forward, with a possible downgrade and offload as a result?). Surely you could just take a W fare and move them forward and close Y if you sold more W so that the W/Y availability could be more aligned - the marginal cost* of another ticket sold to BA will therefore be exactly the same whether the next ticket sold is in Y or J (they can't serve any more Y/W pax, so have to put an additional person into J), so why not take W as well even if they don't reduce the Y bucket as a result?

* Ignoring taxes and fees but those are passed through to the passenger. And of course no shows can change this entirely.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Can you go through this slowly - I'm confused. Presumably, you're saying J and W are more profitable, because you've allocated a cost-per-seat to a seat in each cabin, and subtracted this from the expected revenue to get the profit, and this number is higher for J and W than for F. But the reality is that the plane is flying anyway, the costs are almost all already incurred (okay, maybe the first class meal costs a few pennies more than a business meal, and that will need to be paid for), so it now makes sense to maximize revenue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.