Malpensa v Linate - technical diversion

Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Malpensa v Linate - technical diversion

I see BA570 diverted to Malpensa from Linate due to a technical issue

Would this be because it was felt the engineers available at Malpensa were better able to resolve the problem?

Last edited by scottishpoet; Oct 21, 2018 at 4:59 am
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
I think your 'from' and 'to' are the wrong way round.

Assume you meant into Malpensa not Linate? If so would imagine its just more flight options at Malpensa than at little Linate.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I see BA570 diverted from Malpensa to Linate due to a technical issue

Would this be because it was felt the engineers available at Malpensa were better able to resolve the problem?
Maybe because of the longer runways at MXP?

4000m v 2500m
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
I think your 'from' and 'to' are the wrong way round.

Assume you meant into Malpensa not Linate? If so would imagine its just more flight options at Malpensa than at little Linate.
Thanks, I have fixed the original post
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Very much doubt that dispatchers working with ATC make diversion decisions based on rerouting alternatives.

An aircraft at takeoff is almost certainly too heavy to land back at a smaller airport. The longer the runway the less time it has to spend in the air and the less fuel it has to dump (a last resort for emergencies). Thus, diverting to a longer runway will always be a priority if all other factors are at least equal.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

I would assume the fuel used from LHR to Linate and Malpensa would be roughly the same so I doubt the reason for the diversion to Malpensa was it being too fuel heavy toward the end of the flight
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Thats only one reason- things like flapless landings, loss of reverse thrust, etc etc, all require a longer stopping distance
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Hydraulics issue, longer runway needed for landing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Very much doubt that dispatchers working with ATC make diversion decisions based on rerouting alternatives.

An aircraft at takeoff is almost certainly too heavy to land back at a smaller airport. The longer the runway the less time it has to spend in the air and the less fuel it has to dump (a last resort for emergencies). Thus, diverting to a longer runway will always be a priority if all other factors are at least equal.
We don’t have dispatchers, they’re a North American thing not used in many other parts of the world. All decisions are made by the flight crew.

A320s can’t dump fuel.

In the event of a failure affecting landing performance there are a big set of tables which give the new landing distance required. There’s a strong possibility that Linate would be too short for some of these failures especially as there is pretty much normally a tailwind at Linate.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Oct 21, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
Thats only one reason- things like flapless landings, loss of reverse thrust, etc etc, all require a longer stopping distance
Reverse thrust is not factored into landing distance required.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:36 am

Was it a technical issue with the plane, or a situation such as fog? MXP isn't as affected by it as LIN, for instance.

From an engineering point of view, both airports are now outsourced. I think in both cases the line maintenance is provided by Alitalia; their engineers are usually quite good. MXP also has the advantage of a fully-equipped hangar, owned and used by Lufthansa Technik, where they do Line and service checks on EasyJet and various carriers; I don't know, however, if BA has any agreement there with LHT besides the usual spares sharing system.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

according to thebasource it was a technical diversion

return flight was cancelled, aircraft may still be on the ground in Milan but is scheduled to go to reykjavik tomorrow morning
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by rapidex
Reverse thrust is not factored into landing distance required.
not officially...but if you were on the borderline otherwise and knew you had an issue, would you risk it?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

We dont have dispatchers, theyre a North American thing not used in many other parts of the world. All decisions are made by the flight crew.

A320s cant dump fuel.

Really? Why would that be? What about other Airbus aircraft?

Sorry to batter your with questions.

I can totally understand why they'd divert from Linate. It is in the middle of a large housing development and very close to downtown. MXP is miles from anywhere and has long runways. If there was a problem, the one runway was bocked, Linate would close. It would have no option.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by nancypants

not officially...but if you were on the borderline otherwise and knew you had an issue, would you risk it?
Thats not actually correct anyhow. You can take credit for use of reverse thrust in landing calculations.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.