Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crying baby [neighbouring passengers moved to de-escalate the situation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crying baby [neighbouring passengers moved to de-escalate the situation]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Incidentally, SQ's LCC Scoot has what they call "ScootinSilence" quiet zone in the forward cabin of their 787, but not in ScootBiz. Just a forward section of their standard cabin, where no-one under the age of 12 is allowed to sit.

I hope they also disallow loud conversations as well though!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I thought MH had an actual policy forbidding infants and children under a certain age in some cabins (like upper deck J on the A380 I think?) but may be wrong! AF did exactly what you said here and I personally think that it is a very fair compromise. People who want to are welcome to take their kids in their wonderful P cabin, but they have to have their own seat and they will pay the full price of it.
It's quite interesting how different airlines deal with this issue, or have tried to, and often given up. Etihad has (had?) a 'flying nanny', although I remember they were not permitted to actually carry a child, rather just watch and 'entertain' them. I remember Richard Branson toying with the idea of a kids' cabin for VS, which I think was always going to fail from a safety standpoint, so that always felt like a PR stunt. China Airlines had that family couch idea in economy, which I believe they have discontinued.

I remember last year DL tried the opposite approach to that which OP witnessed: the cabin crew asked a mother and crying baby to move from F to Y. That really was a PR disaster, partly (or mostly) because the mother in question had a huge social media following.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I thought MH had an actual policy forbidding infants and children under a certain age in some cabins (like upper deck J on the A380 I think?)
That's pretty much what I said I think
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:30 am

Babies often start howling during the climb and descent when the cabin pressure changes. Their middle ears are not fully developed which means they experience pain in their ears as they aren't able to pop their ears like adults.
Giving them something to suck, a finger for example, can help with the pressure adjustment and also tends to inhibit the crying directly.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
They got rid of the child and infant fares in F if memory serves me right. Under 12's could still fly First but at the adult fare where everyone was assigned an actual seat. That pretty much solved the "screaming baby in First" scenario for the majority of flights. Those who stumped up the cash for babe in arms were relatively light on the ground as you might imagine. Business Class on the upper deck of the 744 was a child/infant free zone however. Parents flying Business Class with children /infants needed to book seats downstairs. I seem to remember that Economy zone E (rear most cabin) on the 744 was either child free or where families were allowed to assign seats (forget which it was). I always thought this was a most sensible policy at the time and an airline I'd definitely fly with some day..... I'm still yet to fly MH tho
ba.com will let you book an infant into MH F for 10% avios. I had such a booking in 2014 when their policy definitely existed (whereas now there do seem to be 10% cash fares), but never flew it in the end as we came up with a better redemption and BA accepted the policy as a reason to cancel without penalty.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto

Care to share some details about the earplugs? I think it’s time I invested in some, although despite being a musician I hate having things in my ears.

It’s clear on this forum that most are baby apologists, so I tend to avoid these threads and not get involved in the discussions. But does everyone really think that babies and tiny children should be jet setting around the world just because their parents want to? Why do these little creatures have to adapt to the adults’ lives? I know that in times gone by the parents traditionally adapted their lives to the life of a new infant, which is how it should be. Children are often not complicated little beings, they enjoy relatively simple things such as a visit to the local beach, local funfair, a game of marbles, whatever. They don’t need constant flashing lights and first class cabins, or even economy ones. No wonder they cry, it’s all so strange, so much weird loud noise, strange dry air. Does nobody think of these little lives anymore? It seems not.

Of course, sometimes you have to change countries because of your parents work, that happens in life. That happened to me once as a baby and twice before the age of 9. So kiddies do end up having to move around. But I’m still questioning how much of it is really necessary.
90% of the cases, it is not necessary at all. Too often parents want to live the same life they were living before they had kids and drag them in what is indeed not the best experience for them. I also find frankly inappropriate to shuttle teenagers in J or even worst F, as I am not sure of the message it sends (unless you are so popular that you require some real privacy for your family).

Back to OP, albeit I agree with CWS on this being a good will gesture by the crew to de-escalate a situation, in the end premium passengers paid the price for it and it should not be this way.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by frandrake
In the end premium passengers paid the price for it and it should not be this way.
What price did these premium passengers pay?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
What price did these premium passengers pay?
They were woken up from a nap on a long haul daytime flight.... not sure how many GBP that equates to.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I got moved once into F from UD CW mid-flight after sitting on a disruptive passenger while the cabin crew got the handcuffs. I'd have been sitting next to said disruptive passenger once he was back in his seat so the crew moved me.

I remember then that the adjacent passenger in F made his miffed-ness known to the flight crew as he was using the spare F seat to store some of his stuff. However some of the other pax in F came to ask me if I'd been involved in the huge bang from upstairs and wanted to know what had happened!
flygirl68 and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I got moved once into F from UD CW mid-flight after sitting on a disruptive passenger while the cabin crew got the handcuffs. I'd have been sitting next to said disruptive passenger once he was back in his seat so the crew moved me.

I remember then that the adjacent passenger in F made his miffed-ness known to the flight crew as he was using the spare F seat to store some of his stuff. However some of the other pax in F came to ask me if I'd been involved in the huge bang from upstairs and wanted to know what had happened!
I'd be the one kicking up a fuss if my seat was on top of another passenger!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:47 am

I'd say your move was rather well-deserved after sitting on the disruptive passenger!

Er... I wasn't sure whether to say this or not, but I'll say it since I'm too tired to have too much inhibition after being on the move for nearly 55 hours and spent most of the time working: I hope you broke wind on him as punishment for his disruptive conduct while you were sitting on him !!
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
That's pretty much what I said I think
Sorry if I misunderstood. I read your comment as suggesting that infants/children could fly all MH cabins but some only at full fare, whilst I believe that they are actually disallowed in some specific cabins like the 388 upper deck. By contrast, AF just got rid of the fare discounts specifically so in that case the infants/kids can fly but only at full fare.
LTN Phobia and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'd say your move was rather well-deserved after sitting on the disruptive passenger!

Er... I wasn't sure whether to say this or not, but I'll say it since I'm too tired to have too much inhibition after being on the move for nearly 55 hours and spent most of the time working: I hope you broke wind on him as punishment for his disruptive conduct while you were sitting on him !!
i should have done in retrospect but it all happened so quickly that I’d had no time to prepare 😁 Once he’d assaulted a CC member I did my hero act (heaven knows why as it’s not my usual approach to life!) all quite frightening now I look back on it!
flygirl68, LTN Phobia and geerat like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:44 pm

i should have done in retrospect but it all happened so quickly that I’d had no time to prepare �� Once he’d assaulted a CC member I did my hero act (heaven knows why as it’s not my usual approach to life!) all quite frightening now I look back on it!
Kudos to you for intervening. Definitely a well-deserved in-flight upgrade (despite your gross failure to break wind on him )!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 25, 2018 at 2:35 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Kudos to you for intervening. Definitely a well-deserved in-flight upgrade (despite your gross failure not to break wind on him )!
Thank you, Lady Phobia. Will make sure I bear it in mind for next time (clearly hoping against hope there won't be a next time)
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.