Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crying baby [neighbouring passengers moved to de-escalate the situation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crying baby [neighbouring passengers moved to de-escalate the situation]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I do not think it's actually nice for babies. Babies tend to cry on flights because they don't like the environment and are feeling uncomfortable. For their own welfare I wouldn't subject my baby (if I had one) to flying because the environment is horrid.

Noise, dry air, lower oxygen concentration, unfamiliar environment, vibration, altitude change and not being able to equalise their ears, strangers all around them, possibly people coughing and sneezing nearby etc. which might even be something a bit more exotic than a common cold.

I'm surprised more babies don't get stressed out and cry more, to be honest.

I haven't had babies cause serious issues in flight - they tend to cry but their lungs generally are not developed enough to be too loud and they don't tend to run around, so I don't mind them but I really do feel sorry for them when they cry.

It's screaming, tantrum-throwing, scampering toddlers with disinterested parents who drink themselves to stupor and ignore their children that caused serious issues to me on BA flights to such an extent that it's so far cost me thousands of pounds in extra costs for taking a stop-over (extra costs incurred from stopovers + hotel + transport) so that I don't fly straight through between Australia and Europe. I had the custom-fitted ear earbud noise-cancelling in-ear earphones and then had the noise-cancelling headsets on top, without sufficient reduction as they were just incredibly loud (I do have noise sensitivities, admittedly) and they were running about the cabin incessantly - wasn't just one, but multiple of them! Bad luck, really...

After going without sleep for 36+ hours on two return trips, I always make the point of stopping for a night in SIN in case it happens again. On those flights I unsuccessfully asked for a downgrade from F to anything including WT on all sectors but they were full (even the jump seats).
Fully agree that some parents are absolutely appalling when it comes to taking care of kids - and its the worst in premium classes. When we travel with our little guy - I drink probably 30% of the alcohol I normally do when flying. My wife and I are a team. Sometimes we operate in shifts. But taking care of him and minimizing disruption is the top priority. Once in J from DOH-DPS, I watched an infant rise from her bassinet while her Mom was passed out drunk with noise-canceling headphones on. Eventually the passenger across the aisle played with the baby. Mom at one point woke up, looked over, smiled, and went right back to sleep. My jaw dropped.
SK, LTN Phobia and ConfusedByBAEC like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, all those factors are good, always have been, always will be. I think everyone has to throw their baby/small kid feelings out here at some point instead of just reading, or avoiding, those threads. It’s a bit like getting a parking ticket, or having blood taken. I’ve never posted about it before, so it’s done now. And of course, the above script is by no reason written in stone, just written in the moment. Doesn’t alter the fact that there are masses more babies and small kids traveling than ever before.

But just referring to it as public transport, as if I didn’t know it, sort of kills the discussion. Public transport or not, it is a confined cramped space where, unlike on a bus or a train, you can’t get up and change cars or simply get off.

EDIT - Sorry, this post was in response to ConfusedByBAEC in post #28 above. I didn’t see there had been other answers.

EDIT2 - Some great responses above, thanks. Good to remind a non-parent like myself of the various factors involved with babies and little ones, so as to not become too judgmental. That’s what I like about this forum, it is possible to provoke some intelligent discussion!!

Last edited by Concerto; Oct 21, 2018 at 5:34 am Reason: further responses
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound

Fully agree that some parents are absolutely appalling when it comes to taking care of kids - and its the worst in premium classes. When we travel with our little guy - I drink probably 30% of the alcohol I normally do when flying. My wife and I are a team. Sometimes we operate in shifts. But taking care of him and minimizing disruption is the top priority. Once in J from DOH-DPS, I watched an infant rise from her bassinet while her Mom was passed out drunk with noise-canceling headphones on. Eventually the passenger across the aisle played with the baby. Mom at one point woke up, looked over, smiled, and went right back to sleep. My jaw dropped.
This I do agree with. We are always 'on it' and doing our best to minimise any disruption. We have been lucky that he is generally very relaxed and takes everything in his stride.

Whichever one of us isn't driving at the other end will generally stay awake to be on call for anything he might need.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Why do these little creatures have to adapt to the adults’ lives?
Why shouldn't they? They're an enormous time and money drain - the least they could do is adapt. And isn't that what we're taught to do throughout our entire childhood - modify our behavior to fit in with society etc.?

Not to mention, happier parents = happier baby. I take it you've never had kids?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Saint4805
I just bought another brand called Moldex Pura Fit 7700 which have great reviews, are cheap and available in the UK but haven't tried them yet.
Amazon have various retailers selling variety packs of ear plugs. Those are the ones I settled on for sleeping and buy them in bulk.
Not noise blockers, and I can still hear downstair’s baby crying when it’s being put it it’s pushchair in the hallway, but I’m not wakened by it.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp

Amazon have various retailers selling variety packs of ear plugs. Those are the ones I settled on for sleeping and buy them in bulk.
Not noise blockers, and I can still hear downstair’s baby crying when it’s being put it it’s pushchair in the hallway, but I’m not wakened by it.
Yeah they don't block noise but rather reduce it which can still be of great help. I received those Moldex ones a few days ago. I like that each pair is individually wrapped which means it's easy to throw one or two in my cabin bag.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
One of my best friends took the whole shift caring for two toddlers on a 11 hour night flight his wife could sleep after a hard week. About two hours before landing he went to the toilet and 45 mins later he hadn't returned. She assumed he was in the long queue for the toilet that had formed, but on further investigation realised he wasn't. FA knocked on the door a number of times and eventually opened it from outside to find him fast asleep (fully clothed, luckily) sat on the loo. People saw the funny side of it when they realised he was with two toddlers and had spent all night trying to keep them both entertained in the face of repeated requests of Daddy, daddy, daddy...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:50 am

To be fair, the worst incidents of disruptive behaviour on flights I've been on tend to come from the fully grown sized child
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
I'm reading the OP's post to be that three pax were moved to WT+ to escape the crying baby, not that the baby party were moved. They stayed where they were, with several other pax moved around the spare space in WT too.
And as others have said, it's public transport, even in F/J. If you want to avoid crying babies, take a private jet. You can bet the parents aren't enjoying the situation either ! I would know.
I still take the view that if there's something bothering a customer, whether it's because they're hungry, there's someone kicking their seat, there's a loud noise near to them, they can always politely ask a crew member. If the problem is communicated politely and discreetly, then the crew member can determine whether or not they can help. Perhaps they can't help because there's no alternative solution or because they're really busy with something else when asked, but perhaps they can help.

My work is in the hospitality sector and hotels, not aircraft, but it's infuriating if a customer reports to us that they're upset after the event something that we could have fixed. If a baby is crying on board an aircraft, then the crew might be able to find some ear-plugs, or even offer another seat in some circumstances if there are some available.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
OP - I would have been cheesed-off to have a previously empty seat next to me taken by someone else. I think the majority on here would be as well. But that’s an in-the-moment reaction. On balance (and without knowing exactly what was happening in WT) this seems like a good resolution by the CC.

Re babies on planes. They cry, I don’t blame them or their parents, I just deal with it but it isn’t pleasant. I’d be lying if I said seeing a baby near me on boarding doesn’t make my shoulders sag a bit.

Yes I don’t have children, and I’m sure it isn’t pleasant having to do long haul with your baby. Just giving my 2 pence worth from a singltons perspective.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Yep. Just one of those things I guess. Happy days for the guy next to me who got 7 hours in WTP for his troubles. Clearly hadn't flown in PE before as he politely picked up the amenities bag with the headphones and mentioned I had left them on the seat. When I told them they were his, his face lit up and he looked a little confused. Haha. He also only found the leg rest when we were landing.

Shame the baby wasn't loud enough for them to move me up to CW.
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
One thing which I think needs to be said, is that while a crying baby is annoying for passengers, it is equally frustrating and potentially embarrasing for the parents. Embarassing not in the usual sense, but from a perspective that you'll have tried as much as you can, to keep the baby happy.

If an older child is running around, the parents have a little more say in the matter. If a baby decides to cry though, and the parents have checked the usual, there really isn't anything that can be done.

It sucks, and is exceptionally difficult on a long-haul or night flight, but most crews do as much as they can to try and help the parents (from my experience).

M
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
One thing which I think needs to be said, is that while a crying baby is annoying for passengers, it is equally frustrating and potentially embarrasing for the parents. Embarassing not in the usual sense, but from a perspective that you'll have tried as much as you can, to keep the baby happy.

If an older child is running around, the parents have a little more say in the matter. If a baby decides to cry though, and the parents have checked the usual, there really isn't anything that can be done.

It sucks, and is exceptionally difficult on a long-haul or night flight, but most crews do as much as they can to try and help the parents (from my experience).

M
As a single childless person, even I get that babies cry.
It happens, it’s annoying, but there’s not a lot you can do.

What is irksome, and will get people’s backs up, is if the parent or guardian is doing zilch, especially for older children.

As for loud, obnoxious adults...
SK, LTN Phobia, muji and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
My toddler being disruptive.

Prospero, flygirl68, muji and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Concerto

...does everyone really think that babies and tiny children should be jet setting around the world just because their parents want to? Why do these little creatures have to adapt to the adults’ lives? I know that in times gone by the parents traditionally adapted their lives to the life of a new infant, which is how it should be. Children are often not complicated little beings, they enjoy relatively simple things such as a visit to the local beach, local funfair, a game of marbles, whatever. They don’t need constant flashing lights and first class cabins, or even economy ones. No wonder they cry, it’s all so strange, so much weird loud noise, strange dry air. Does nobody think of these little lives anymore? It seems not....
LOL. If parents want to travel with their kid, it's not up to you to dictate whether they should or not - and I don't even have kids.

If a parent wants to fly in F with their child, they should be allowed to as long as they're willing to pay for it. Life isn't all blankets and pillows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.