Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Connection LHR (SFO-LHR BA286 3pm to KLM cityhopper 5:50pm)

Old Oct 20, 18, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out if I can make this work - I'll be on a business class reward flight from SFO to LHR (BA286), and need to find a way to continue onwards to Europe at xmas time. Cheapest option is an onwards flight with KLM at 5:50, so less than 3 hours turnaround.

So - xmas time, busy airport, checked luggage & separate tickets are the risk factors, EU passports, business class incoming are the positives - what are the chances of making this work? What if there is no checked luggage?

Thanks,
fechter
Old Oct 20, 18, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm going to assume the onward service is KL1030, which is indeed a Cityhopper Embraer 190 service from LHR T4 to AMS. Cityhopper is also associated with LCY airport.

If your inbound is on time then you will have plenty of time if hand baggage only, it's a connection that could be done in an hour airside, just about, so nearly 3 hours is fine. If you have to recheck luggage then you're going landside and therefore would have to enter the UK via the UK Border and then take a bus round to T4. Three hours would be OK for this, you should have over an hour spare but it's a lot more hassle. You then have to consider your risk appetite if you are late arriving into LHR and miss the onward flight, which could result in buying a new walk-up ticket to AMS, or taking the train. The least hassle (and probably cheapest) would be a BA service to AMS and amending your existing booking to add that in, I'm guessing you are not seeing availability.

Also check cash fares if KLM is a redemption. If you are not in a hurry and would be able to go to other airports in London then you may find a revenue fare not much more expensive than a KLM redemption. If KLM is a revenue ticket, then consider paying a bit more for a BA service to avoid the connection experience.
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the thorough reply & help! You are spot on, but KLM would be a cash fare. I actually need to connect to the MUC/VIE region, but see absolutely no availability or sensible prices either on the same or next day from any of the LON airports to pretty much anything between MUC, VIE & BTS. I went with a LH onward connection & a cheap stay o/n in dus...
Really appreciate the guidance!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: