Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally made Gold!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by stewaran
for me:
First Wing is usually between 0-2 people queuing (big exception on early Monday mornings)
l
how bad is Monday AM, and when does it settle down? Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BA GGL
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the benefits. Despite the doom and gloom that is so often posted on here, Gold status really is a nice step up.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius

how bad is Monday AM, and when does it settle down? Thanks
I only have a couple of recent data points, but at 6-7am there is a que for each aisle back to the entry machines.

Whenever i have flown monday mornings over the last few years the flights seem to have more people in priority boarding than normal
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:13 pm
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
I only have a couple of recent data points, but at 6-7am there is a que ...
A what?
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by TSE
A what?
Its similar to a queue like you may find at the normal fast track, but slightly shorter :-)
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Its similar to a queue like you may find at the normal fast track, but slightly shorter :-)
But think of how those whose first language is phonetic view this abomination (spelling-wise) of a word. In Spanish it's Kweigh-weigh. In Croatian it's koo-ay-oo-ay (with the "ay" the same as "eigh"). Even as an American I always do a double take when I look at it and wonder how the British got "kyoo" out of that amalgamation of four consecutive vowels when "cue" (as in a stick used to play billiards) would have been so much simpler. :-)

And to the OP, congrats on making Gold. enjoy the first wing, the T3 lounges and the extra Avios and redemption availability for double Avios.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
British spelling was one of the levers we used to achieve global domination and Empire. While the untutored foreigners were struggling to work out what we had written, we crept in through the back door and took over their countries.
rapidex, stewaran and bisonrav like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Shhh, don't tell hevereyjuan
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
So glad that no one has taken the DYKWIA stance of ‘you’ve forgotten GGL/CCR/PRM’. As a silver one day gold wannabe there can sometimes be a lot of snide oneupmanship goes on in this forum!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
So glad that no one has taken the DYKWIA stance of ‘you’ve forgotten GGL/CCR/PRM’. As a silver one day gold wannabe there can sometimes be a lot of snide oneupmanship goes on in this forum!
As a new Gold having achieved a massive 1,505 TPs I sneer at your mere Silver status.

Until 1 Jan 2020, that is, when I will get busted straight back down
T8191, firstlight and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
Never understood that to be honest - some travel more than others, that's fine! Not sure why people choose to call that out. To be fair, most of the GGL's that I've met so far (albeit very few) have been really fantastic!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Honestly, silver is the rational sweetspot for status. You get most of what gold gets, at least from outstations and it's fairly easy to maintain with a mix of work travel and private.

Then gold gives you some decent perks and I don't know many people who having got it would want to slip back - more redemption availability is good, and you earn faster so it's easy to take RFS flights when you want them. The flounge is pretty good really, and being able to take front row seats and be in Group 1 is nice. So I think you'll enjoy gold.

There is a bit of status willywaving, but most of the GGLs I've met have been lovely people. I do intend to buck that trend myself, but mostly it seems to be the case with others.

But at every level, you have to set expectations. The CCR isn't the Fat Duck, and it wouldn't even rate a mention in a regional restaurant guide. You don't get fawned over and constantly upgraded. Most continental lounges offer processed cheese and salami with a coffee machine and a fridge of coke and beer. Etc.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Honestly, silver is the rational sweetspot for status. You get most of what gold gets, at least from outstations and it's fairly easy to maintain with a mix of work travel and private.

Then gold gives you some decent perks and I don't know many people who having got it would want to slip back - more redemption availability is good, and you earn faster so it's easy to take RFS flights when you want them. The flounge is pretty good really, and being able to take front row seats and be in Group 1 is nice. So I think you'll enjoy gold.

There is a bit of status willywaving, but most of the GGLs I've met have been lovely people. I do intend to buck that trend myself, but mostly it seems to be the case with others.

But at every level, you have to set expectations. The CCR isn't the Fat Duck, and it wouldn't even rate a mention in a regional restaurant guide. You don't get fawned over and constantly upgraded. Most continental lounges offer processed cheese and salami with a coffee machine and a fridge of coke and beer. Etc.
Agreed re Silver. My annual TP earn through work is almost nothing but despite that it's pretty easy to hit through leisure, and as you say it gets the most important benefits (lounges and seat choice IMO). My main Avios earn is through AMEX spend, which is enough to give me all the RFS and redemptions I need, so whilst the extra Avios with Gold is a nice to have it's hardly a game changer. Group 1 is good, but Group 2 is no hardship, although row 1 and First Wing are decent benefits.

Having achieved Gold, all of 2019's long-haul will be J on non-OW airlines and using 241s in J/F so almost a total waste anyway
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav

Spot on. I'd like to think of myself as a reasonably nice bloke who doesn't engage in much if any willy waving, but I do have my gold tags, I do mention my tier status in my FT status description (as do most) and I do complain if my status privileges are not upheld- e.g. no priority boarding, fast track etc- so maybe I am a willy waver . I doubt I'll be Gold for life and therefore I will have to prepare myself for a fall from grace at some point. I do occasionally fly with airlines where I have no status and/or which are LoCo, and I wouldn't say I behave any differently, except my expectation levels are different. The status/loyalty game definitely creates a sense of entitlement, which sometimes can drive unreasonable behaviour or expectations. It's an interesting topic, and my impression is that airlines seem to have taken it further than most other businesses. After all, Tesco's club card only comes in one form (I believe??!!) and there is no separate check out for gold card holders, or special trolley for anyone silver or above......
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I received the Gold Achieved on my app this morning for the first time, looking forward to the colour change tomorrow!

Main reason I've gone for gold is:
1) It was possible and I enjoy flying/travelling.
2) I'll be spending a lot of Avios next year and wish to maintain Silver. The main reason being that I value lounge access and few airports have F lounges.

I'm actually planning a day or two in Hong Kong in 2019 just to use the Emerald Lounges for what may be the only possible time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.