Plug sockets available whilst in flight?

Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Plug sockets available whilst in flight?

Noticed this plug socket open on a 767, I assume its for the cleaning staff to plug in hoovers etc. Do you think it is in operation during flight?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Domestic electricity operates at a 50Hz frequency. Even if these were energised during a flight I suspect you could do damage to your device if you plugged it in since this is at 400Hz.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:24 am

No, not for use in flight. The cover should be on it.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Seems to be endemic from Wednesday past:

I did put the cover back on, but it promptly fell off again!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ahh! Haha! As I was boarding the cleaners were still hoovering the back of the plane 🤣
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by djtriggz
Ahh! Haha! As I was boarding the cleaners were still hoovering the back of the plane 🤣
So that nasty dirty plane in the photo has just been hoovered...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
To be fair, the aircraft is in its last few hours of life with BA.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
110VAC, 400Hz. They are powered while the aircraft is in flight. Your switched-mode power supply will get *very* hot at best, or let the magic white smoke out at worst. Not recommended.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
BA really should fit better covers or at least put a large warning label above the sockets.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Am fairly sure I have seen the same by row 62 on 747s also with covers (or in that case a little flap) left open. I knew it was 110v so was tempted to recharge my devices but did not know about the 400Hz. Whats the rationale for that frequency do you know? Wouldnt it be easier to use a frequency any appliance can be plugged on?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Am fairly sure I have seen the same by row 62 on 747s also with covers (or in that case a little flap) left open. I knew it was 110v so was tempted to recharge my devices but did not know about the 400Hz. Whats the rationale for that frequency do you know? Wouldnt it be easier to use a frequency any appliance can be plugged on?
They use 400Hz as the transformers/motors needed to generate power at this frequency are smaller/lighter than those needed to generate electricity at 50Hz. Of course, smaller/lighter is better on planes!

For reference, the reason they dont use 400Hz on the ground is because higher frequencies generate more losses when transmitted long distances via power lines; such losses are less relevant within the short confines of a plane fuselage!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Be careful. I saw some girls plug their hair straighteners in a cleaners socket on a train. Followed by a loud bang, a bright flash, a burning smell and screaming girls. Wouldnt be good on a plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.