Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

£100 off Longhaul Y for 5,000 Avios - this weekend only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

£100 off Longhaul Y for 5,000 Avios - this weekend only

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
Managed to make use of this twice! I'm taking my gran, who has never been to America, to NYC as her Christmas present, and my partner to NYC for celebrating graduation (I hope)! As a student, these types of deals are really useful to me, so thanks for highlighting it!
I 100% agree with you, posts highlighting deals like this make my life as a student who loves to travel so much easier! I booked a flight for me, my wife and my mother-in-law with this discount.

Thanks again for those who highlighted it!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Quick report back on the trips that came from this -- my wife and toddler booked a week in Kuching via KL to visit the grandparents, and although I couldn't take the time for that I did a weekend in New York.

The calculation for NY worked like this - Base fare was £274.22 with 5000 avios taking that down to £174.22. I got a £50 best price guaranteed voucher, and 8650 avios returned, leaving net 3650 avios. Valuing those at 1p, that all nets out too £87.42.

Similar calculations on the KL fare for the family brought it in to about £525 total for both of them, plus the cost of getting to and from Kuching, which wasn't part of that.

I also used a Hhonors redemption for two nights in the Conrad downtown, so for me it was a very cheap weekend until I booked to see the brilliant revival of Oklahoma which was more than the flights and hotels combined.

It was interesting flying in Y, which I haven't done for a while, but obviously a couple of hours in the CCR at one end (where @teledude was in his habitual spot), and a similar amount of time in the JFK CCR on the return were enough to reverse any positive margin that may have been lurking in the deal for BA. I had a great seat on the way out: 29G on a 777 with infinite legroom and a clear row of three, and had a very good sleep. Zero recognition on-board though. On the way back I massively misjudged the seat selection and ended up crammed into a window seat in a normal row which was full - 40K on a 747 - it appeared on the seatmap to be a window bulkhead. But to be honest there aren't any really good seats on a 747-400 at the back, if I were doing this again I'd take a 777 in both directions.

I did get a cursory read of my name off a printout in passing this time, which I guess is progress. And then the bloke in the aisle seat of the block got a profuse welcome by another staff member and was sent a bottle of water on his request, having been pressed to take more. I have to say, this annoyed me, I'd have liked to have a larger bottle of water for the flight. He did have an expensive looking bag with some sort of Concorde tab, but hadn't had any sort of gold greeting from the printout.

The rest of the family had very nice experience on their trip too, with a nice greeting on the return last night and some postcards and notes from the Captain for the toddler to mark his 50,000 logged miles and silver status. The food was apparently pretty good too.

Hopefully they'll repeat this offer again soon.

But anyway, slept very well - the fold down headrests are ace - and would certainly do this again.
MrPrice16, wilsnunn and TTmex like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Quick report back on the trips that came from this -- my wife and toddler booked a week in Kuching via KL to visit the grandparents, and although I couldn't take the time for that I did a weekend in New York.

The calculation for NY worked like this - Base fare was £274.22 with 5000 avios taking that down to £174.22. I got a £50 best price guaranteed voucher, and 8650 avios returned, leaving net 3650 avios. Valuing those at 1p, that all nets out too £87.42.

Similar calculations on the KL fare for the family brought it in to about £525 total for both of them, plus the cost of getting to and from Kuching, which wasn't part of that.

I also used a Hhonors redemption for two nights in the Conrad downtown, so for me it was a very cheap weekend until I booked to see the brilliant revival of Oklahoma which was more than the flights and hotels combined.

It was interesting flying in Y, which I haven't done for a while, but obviously a couple of hours in the CCR at one end (where @teledude was in his habitual spot), and a similar amount of time in the JFK CCR on the return were enough to reverse any positive margin that may have been lurking in the deal for BA. I had a great seat on the way out: 29G on a 777 with infinite legroom and a clear row of three, and had a very good sleep. Zero recognition on-board though. On the way back I massively misjudged the seat selection and ended up crammed into a window seat in a normal row which was full - 40K on a 747 - it appeared on the seatmap to be a window bulkhead. But to be honest there aren't any really good seats on a 747-400 at the back, if I were doing this again I'd take a 777 in both directions.

I did get a cursory read of my name off a printout in passing this time, which I guess is progress. And then the bloke in the aisle seat of the block got a profuse welcome by another staff member and was sent a bottle of water on his request, having been pressed to take more. I have to say, this annoyed me, I'd have liked to have a larger bottle of water for the flight. He did have an expensive looking bag with some sort of Concorde tab, but hadn't had any sort of gold greeting from the printout.

The rest of the family had very nice experience on their trip too, with a nice greeting on the return last night and some postcards and notes from the Captain for the toddler to mark his 50,000 logged miles and silver status. The food was apparently pretty good too.

Hopefully they'll repeat this offer again soon.

But anyway, slept very well - the fold down headrests are ace - and would certainly do this again.
Having been inspired by your message and calculations at the time Bisonrav, I am off this weekend to NYC! I am however slumming it in the Vanderbilt YMCA for a bargain $60 a night. Wish me luck!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by MrPrice16

Having been inspired by your message and calculations at the time Bisonrav, I am off this weekend to NYC! I am however slumming it in the Vanderbilt YMCA for a bargain $60 a night. Wish me luck!
Not on the 13:10 BA0177 on Friday are you? I am on this offer.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by MrPrice16

I used to stay there ALL the time.. i found a better hostel that is for the same price (and sometimes even less). Its very basic but you are in NYC and dont want to be spending all your time in a room anyway.
MrPrice16 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GLABA
Not on the 13:10 BA0177 on Friday are you? I am on this offer.
Sadly not, on the 173 at 11:20. A staggering deal ended up at £120. Recently travelled to Dubai in WT on the 777 exit row seats more than acceptable for a flight of this distance.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue, SPG Silver
I have my fingers crossed this offer pops up once again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.