Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

£100 off Longhaul Y for 5,000 Avios - this weekend only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

£100 off Longhaul Y for 5,000 Avios - this weekend only

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I chose the Radisson too - was it a free airport transfer?
No, booked through the hotel it worked out about £30 each way. Given the BA flight times it felt a lot for the actual journey time since the roads were quiet, but the driver I got was great at explaining the city and offering recommendations on the arriving trip. He also took me on a short detour to point out some of the main buildings which was nice. Local taxis are no doubt a lot cheaper but if I return I'd do the same hotel option, since the roaming vehicles are quite 'intimidating'.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You can also use Allo Taxi (they have quite a good app), very reliable, about £13 to the airport and £15 from the airport (including meet and greet with a sign board in the arrivals hall). Perhaps take the hotel car on the way in and a pre-booked taxi on the way back.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The £60 voucher for the price guarantee came in fine overnight.

i used Agoda to book the Radisson and they offer a £20 meet and greet. So all set now. Very pleased with this as a deal.
BA6501 and stevebintley like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Excellent deal, just booked a long weekend in NY in January on the exact weekend we were looking at being in the US anyway, for £220 and 5000 Avios. Would have been even cheaper from Gatters but worth the extra for us to use Heathrow. Can’t complain about value like that.

(Hotels in NY are as good value as I’ve ever seen them as well)
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:20 am

If I select hand baggage only both ways it does not give me the offer. The normal check-in fare either one way or both does.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Greenpen
If I select hand baggage only both ways it does not give me the offer. The normal check-in fare either one way or both does.
It seems to be based on the total fare, if it's below a certain level it won't offer £100 off, there was one booking I tried where the most it would offer me was £90 off (which cost a lot more Avios as it was using regular prices).

I've never booked long haul economy with BA before and I've noticed they're trying to be misleading by listing food and drink only as an advantage of the regular fare and not the basic fare.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Call me out all you like on this but reckon this has got to be one of BAs best offers that I’ve seen for ages. It’s relatively minor all things considered but a return weekend to New York in 3 weeks time for £230 and 5000 avios seems exceptionally good value to me
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stevebintley
The hotel (Radisson Martinez) picked me up from the airport but everything else was by foot. I walked eleven miles on the Sunday!
I chose the Radisson too - was it a free airport transfer?
That's also the CWS approved hotel for Beirut. I tend to use Uber (some security concerns with this) or 'Allo Taxi, without reserving in advance, it's not too tricky getting a taxi even for BA's early morning departure. If your driver drives safely and seems honest you can think about hiring him to take you for an out of town excursion to see the cedar trees over the Med. I studied in Beirut in the dim distant past and my old apartment - which no longer exists - wasn't too far from that hotel, near the Anglican church. That hotel (there are 2 Radisson Blus) is kind of in the centre, without being in the centre. A lot of places are within a 20 minute walk, including the less interesting bits of the Corniche, and the modern Zaytouna Bay marina development, but Hamra and Makdisi streets have more character. Beirut is actually quite hilly so have your walking shoes with you. CWS approved restaurant 20 minutes walk from there is Mezyan - Armenia meet Morrocco, which can only happen in Beirut.

I think CAI, TLV, BEY and AMM are good uses of this particular offer.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the security concerns in using Uber in Beirut and do they apply to taxis in general there?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:43 am

Uber isn't liked by the authorities as I understand things, but there was a high profile murder of a diplomat by an Uber driver in Beirut.

I doubt there's any significant risk that's different for any ride sharing service, and there are probably similar levels of risk in other places.

Probably worth adding that the risk in many destinations in the Middle East, India and far East is from traffic more than crime. You have to take it in your stride really, otherwise you'd never go anywhere, but never feel embarrassed to ask a driver to slow down or reject a taxi without a seatbelt.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber isn't liked by the authorities as I understand things, but there was a high profile murder of a diplomat by an Uber driver in Beirut.

I doubt there's any significant risk that's different for any ride sharing service, and there are probably similar levels of risk in other places.

Probably worth adding that the risk in many destinations in the Middle East, India and far East is from traffic more than crime. You have to take it in your stride really, otherwise you'd never go anywhere, but never feel embarrassed to ask a driver to slow down or reject a taxi without a seatbelt.
I'd generally prefer to use a local company (if they're dependable) to Uber but when I go somewhere new if I'm not sure on whether the local firms are honest with tourists then I find it's a safer option, if it's available.

I remember my first time in Cairo, as usual when stepping into a car I put my seatbelt on, the driver looked offended "it's OK I'm not a bad driver" (or similar) I had to explain in the UK that we always wear them and it'd feel odd not wearing them.

I didn't encounter any scary taxi rides when I was in Israel or Jordan (but with Jordan it was a hotel provided car to/from AMM), so it sounds like Beirut might be similar in experience to Egypt when using taxis.

Any advice on Hiltons in Beirut?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:55 am

I scanned a few hotels, and the best compromise for location/price/quality seemed to be the Radisson. There are a couple of Hiltons but they were much more expensive and the redemption rates were unattractive. Seems like a couple of people have reached the same conclusion as me by different routes.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Question- if I was to book this for myself and someone else that isn't in my HH avios account, can I apply the discount to both?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:19 am

You can get a fair way into the booking without committing, so why not try it out?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
OK, here's a nice TP efficient possibility I just booked, which stacks everything available to the max.

I'm booking LHR to Beirut 16th November to 18th (Sunday). Turns essentially into a Saturday in Beirut because of the timings. The outbound is 15.15 on the Friday and it returns Sunday morning, so minimal holiday required.

Base fare is £308, reduces to £208 with the 5000 Avios discount. As a gold, I get 6498 Avios back, and because it's in the double avios this year period, I get double base avios too, which I think totals 2166. So net 3664 avios.

There are cheaper dates for a long weekend in Beirut, BUT, this weekend the fare is available via travelpack (and few other OTAs, easiest route is to look via Skyscanner) for £278. So assuming BA allow the claim (no reason why they shouldn't, it seems very clear cut) that will bring back £60 as a voucher via best price guarantee double the difference. So we are getting about £95 back on vouchers and avios. So nets out to a very reasonable £120ish return.

Books in N so 70 TP.

I'm quite pleased with this one - main risk factor being the price promise and obviously if you're not gold you won't get the full avios stash returned.

Anyone who wants to join me is very welcome. I'll be trying to get the remaining value of the fare back in LPGS in the CCR and could probably do with help.

Quite possible something similar can be constructed using other destinations, always worth checking on the price promise I think.
Hi bisonrav,

Thanks for the really helpful post. You've inspired me, and I've decided to follow in your footsteps... have just booked Beirut for the same weekend as you.

Will also book the Radisson as well. Look forward to meeting you at LHR (and anyone else who might be joining).

Cheers

estrangeiro8
bisonrav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.