Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Empowers LHR staff to assist with any travel issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Empowers LHR staff to assist with any travel issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
(Offtopic...)
If y'all have wireless noise cancelling head phones, they work fine as phone headsets. I use mine for conference calls all the time, I rarely take out my dedicated phone-bluetooth-headset any more, just put on the Boses, switch the pairing to the phone, and hit 'dial'.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:44 am

If this news means that more agents have the flexibility to get GGL/CCR members onto earlier flights (without change fees), I'd be most happy ^

I hate having to stand at the GC Ticketing Desk for someone with some ticketing skills to tap away to make the change - and it usually takes a while. Thankfully, BA have been kind to me over recent months and got me moving quicker than my booked (inflexible) ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

#BAInvestment4U

^^^
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that the posts suggesting that staff are already helpful miss the point. Of course, we still have to see if the initiative genuinely creates what it claims or if those are just words, but if it is genuine, this could be one of the most important improvements in a long, long time.

At the moment, staff are still very strictly tied to a number of existing procedures and "one size fit all" rules. Empowering them means giving them not only the right but the legitimacy and encouragement to display judgement and depart from those rules where there is strong reason to do so. At the moment, this is extremely difficult to do, and if BA are genuinely telling their staff "go ahead, now we trust you to make that call", this can be a true revolution. It is not (and should not be) a case of "free dinner for everyone" and allowing everything, but just simplifying the process through which staff can and feel legitimate to go beyond the rules where unique circumstances justify it, but it would be a true customer-centric change of perspective. Let's hope it is for real but if so it will be worth applauding.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The akill-set of these staffers would require them to be regular readers of BAFT

How often have we had reports where the BAFT Pax knows more about the rules than the Agent? It’s a very complex world out there.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Do the staff actually want this ability though?

I know many people who are happy doing what they do and don't want to take on extra responsibility that may well not be paid accordingly, if at all, or once you start doing it, it's expected.

Sure somewhere along the line a load of jobs will be shed ss they'll have these agents doing it instead
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

A friend used to work in a factory manufacturing pies and other similar products for many different supermarkets and individual shops big enough for their own brands. She told me to avoid anything with the word family on it. It meant cheap and nasty, poor quality basic ingredients and loads of “stuff” to make it seem palatable.

So, any reference to family from BA probably means much the same!
HMPS, T8191 and Calchas like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I'm a firm believer in incrementalism. A small incremental change is much more likely to take hold than trying a large sweeping change. So in that sense I think that even if thinking that this isn't a cure and there's plenty of work to be done, this can still be a good thing. Moving in the right direction should be applauded even if it leaves more to be desired.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:30 pm

... until we start to see in a few months’ time

”but your colleague did this last time”
”but I thought you were helpful now”
”but flyertalk told me you could change my non-flexible ticket”
”but I thought you were empowered to break all the rules for me”

and so on.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I wonder whether or not they will extend this empowerment to the call centres outside the UK?
The contact centres outside the UK have the same policies available to themas those in the UK, they are as empowered as UK contact centres.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191

How often have we had reports where the BAFT Pax knows more about the rules than the Agent? It’s a very complex world out there.
Indeed....the pax is often wrong.

Let's hope this new initiative will benefit those passengers who are less savvy than others. Personally I've always found a smile and realistic attitude is enough to motivate staff into doing their best to help you.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Ten things that BA can't or won't do on the ground today and probably won't tomorrow:
1. Through-check your bags when travelling with BA"s airline partners on separate tickets
2. Bypass BA's spiteful "conformance" stooges at security, whose only job is to throw you off the flight 35 minutes ahead though your flight may not even have started boarding yet
3. At check-in, direct you to your gate rather than concealing the gate assignment until the last minute in the hope you'll spend more in the shops
4. At check-in, change you to an earlier flight if space is available (compare AA, UA etc)
5. Or, put you on a same-day-standby for earlier or even later flights (compare AA, UA etc)
6. Enable the GA to assist you with rebooking on standby or misconnections (compare AA, UA etc) see posts above
7. Ensure that families are seated together if/when they haven't coughed up BA's ludicrous price to pre-assign seats, even for J customers
8. Direct you the shortest route to the lounge rather than walking you past a row of overpriced shops and back again
9. Take heed of the priority sticker on your checked bag
10. Some, any electronic process to identify the location of your lost checked bag
wyvern, dylanks and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to save everyone from piling in - points 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 above are incorrect, 6 and 8 is possible for those with status. 9 is correct as stated, since it is actually barcode controlled rather than sticker controlled, however the LD3 process generally works, but I agree non-consistently.

More generally, I'm not actually sure what the news is here, since the tablet rollout has been ongoing for some time now. I guess they are now training more agents into using the features mentioned, but looking at the list they've been in place for a while.
orbitmic and Calchas like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Anonba
The contact centres outside the UK have the same policies available to themas those in the UK, they are as empowered as UK contact centres.
Indeed, (in my view desirable) news would be more to empower contact centres with some of the rights of exceptions airport counters have that contact centres don't.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
More generally, I'm not actually sure what the news is here
If the bit about 'it's about trusting people and empowering them' is genuine and not devoid of any meaning, the news as I understand it would be about entrusting individual agents with some level of discretion in specific scenarii, which they currently do not have and which requires clearance from station managers or equivalent. That would be in line with what AF started doing a bit over a year ago. I agree there is nothing new about the technical/ipad/walking side.

Incidentally it is unclear what will change at outstations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.