Anticipated BAEC "Enhancements"

Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Anticipated BAEC "Enhancements"

So, what's the latest on the much anticipated upcoming changes to BAEC?. It's gone awfully quiet (according to Dr. Google).

I have a strong personal interest, as I already have my 1,500 TP's to renew Gold status, but haven't yet flown any of the required 4 BA flights (they are booked and paid for March and May next year, which may be too late?). Should I bring them forward, I wonder.

Any thoughts would be interesting...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
you'll be fine. any proposed changes would have a significant lead time.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
We don’t know that there are changes being planned. If you took your 4 qualifying flights now you will be able to enjoy your Gold status privileges for the rest of this Membership Year and the whole of the next.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
We don’t know that there are changes being planned. If you took your 4 qualifying flights now you will be able to enjoy your Gold status privileges for the rest of this Membership Year and the whole of the next.
OP is currently Gold so is enjoying them already.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:13 am

I suggest that this thread does not descend into the typical turkeys voting for Christmas type of discussion....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Whatever happened to those mid-April (?) changes that were absolutely guaranteed.......
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
I thought the main change upcoming is that redemptions would be dynamically priced rather than a fixed number of points (with only peak/off peak rates). Basically an extension of part pay with avios, only a slider will go all the way to paying 100% of the ticket with points. Plus booking redemptions would be moved to a separate website, common to all airlines using avios.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Who are these people ‘much anticipating’ changes?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Who are these people ‘much anticipating’ changes?
Customers with Avios should be dreading BA/IAG management's corporate pirate mentality - a mentality that wants to raid and pillage and more and thereby decimate the value customers in the main get out of Avios points.
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Whether for good or bad, whether the end result is ‘favourable’ or not ..... there is little doubt that changes are being planned. That much is no secret.

Alex Cruz touched on impending changes during an event I attended almost exactly 12 months ago (the annual World Travel Market, Excel Arena, London. I can’t recall right now whether the comments came in the speech itself or in the subsequent audience Q&A, but he said he was about to hold internal discussions with the guy who runs Avios.

And since then, much more perspective has been added on this in a piece ran a while back by HfP, where relevant sections of an interview given by AC to the South China Morning post - and which included much discussion on BAEC - is carried.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...es-avios-baec/
tooblue and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
We've already seen enhancements as US-based EC members ... $1400-$1500 taxes/fees on RT Club/First redemptions to the UK ...

What more could be enhanced?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by skippythelizard

In Italian there is a say "worse knows no limit" thus I am pretty sure our dear Alex will surprise us.

I am betting on variable pricing for avios redemptions, which is why I am spending quite casually my Avios these days. I am quite confident they will devalue soon. To be fair, I often manage to book same day redemptions with just 8k Avios round trip in EU for flights that retail for 400 quids or more. Not sure any other airline is so generous, which is why I think BA can reasonably touch it without losing to the competition.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by A P Yu
you'll be fine. any proposed changes would have a significant lead time.
Let's hope so, but that wasn't the case with the recent changes ("enhancements") to QRPC.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:08 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Grace B
Let's hope so, but that wasn't the case with the recent changes ("enhancements") to QRPC.
BAEC is most assuredly not QRPC. BA depends on its FFP much more heavily than QR does to attract business, and indeed many will say it’s the jewel in the airline’s crown in terms of marketability. I would seriously doubt BA would do anything major that would put that in jeopardy - have no doubt that it is very high thought of internally and has a massive profile within Waterside.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
We've already seen enhancements as US-based EC members ... $1400-$1500 taxes/fees on RT Club/First redemptions to the UK ...

I was going to post just that. At this price point, it’s approaching 100% of various paid fares such as OTP-PHX. I’d be slightly less offended if BA awarded tier points for travel on award tickets given the high surcharges as it’s closer to a part cash part Avios with these surcharge increases.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.