Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US route - confirmed as Charleston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I might have been tempted to switch a MIA flight next summer if it had been the 789. I’ll stick to MIA for F.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:20 pm

'Wont be from Heathrow if only twice a week'
Mmm...
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...9947a444b.html

Finally confirmed.

British Airways will launch two nonstop routes each week between the Holy City and London, starting April 4, the airline announced Thursday. The Thursday and Sunday service will continue through Oct. 24, 2019. Tickets go on sale Friday. The price has not been announced.
I didn't know the Vatican had an airport!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:43 pm

Damn, that was disappointing. Of all the potential destinations, this was certainly not anywhere near my top 10. Sadly, it won't be seeing any business from me. However, hopefully it'll be of some utility to others and will grow into the success stories of other destinations like Austin and Nashville.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Nice!!! Though bit of a shame re-the late-ish flight times...
Agreed... rotten timings for leisure pax. However, undoubtedly works for some. I will stick to a scenic routing via DUB if we head that way.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Talking Penguin
Damn, that was disappointing. Of all the potential destinations, this was certainly not anywhere near my top 10. .
Really? I must say I really like it. It's probably the nicest of any we discussed though! In fact, the only 'destination' city while the others would have been closer to 'origin' cities for the most part!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Agreed... rotten timings for leisure pax. However, undoubtedly works for some.
Reasonable timings for leisure pax in the opposite direction though. I suspect ex-US the primary market for this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Sean Doyle, British Airways’ Director of Network and Alliances, said: “You can’t help but get sucked in to the old-world charm of Charleston; its cobblestone streets, colourful houses and historical buildings make it a unique city.”
I thought London was in the old-world already...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Reasonable timings for leisure pax in the opposite direction though. I suspect ex-US the primary market for this.
Agree with the last point. But from my POV getting there late evening to collect car and find hotel in the dark isn’t fun. And checking out at 11am for a 10pm flight isn’t helpful either. I’ll pass on this one.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

And with Boeings Dreamliner assembly line in CHS what were the chances of a 787 to operate the route? I wonder if Boeing are a corporate that made the route viable?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Really? I must say I really like it. It's probably the nicest of any we discussed though! In fact, the only 'destination' city while the others would have been closer to 'origin' cities for the most part!
The overwhelming amount of my travel is for business purposes (university admissions and recruitment). As a result, I've benefited greatly in recent years from BA's expansion into various US cities and the transatlantic joint business with AA. The prospect of adding another such destination was rather exciting, particularly since there is a focus to expand away from mature markets. However, Charleston (and the wider region around it) is really of no use to me sadly. There is no current interest in investing resources in this region in the short or medium term. Hence the disappointment. Likewise, if Honolulu, San Juan, or other leisure destinations were announced I'd probably be the sole person on here disappointed. I'm sure it'll be appreciated by many others though.
orbitmic and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s the BAEC diaspora ... some are leisure, some are focussed business.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Wouldn't have picked Charleston in a million years! I'm not sure how this can be a viable route. Might be good pickings for TATL rewards, I guess!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The awkward part is that it is also - if I understand correctly - a seasonal route from April to October, but June-September is actually a horrid season to visit Charleston. It is wet, hot, and sticky I'd personally much rather go there in February-March...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Agree with the last point. But from my POV getting there late evening to collect car and find hotel in the dark isn’t fun. And checking out at 11am for a 10pm flight isn’t helpful either. I’ll pass on this one.
Funny how people are different isn’t it... for me, this would be fantatic for maximising time for leisure. Leave after a full day at work, go straight to hotel and sleep on arrival. Then to come home, you’ve got a full day (including dinner) in the US, before a flight back that’s late enough actually to sleep on, and landing late morning is perfect as I always try not to be tempted to go straight to work the same day.

For me the worst is a lunchtime flight out (effectively spending the whole day travelling) followed by a 6-7pm flight home - being on one of the first arrivals at Heathrow is hell for my body clock and I can never sleep on those flights. CHS and PIT have fairly similar schedules and I look forward to trying them both
flygirl68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.