767 weekend daytrip; MAD or FRA?

Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Haven't been to FRA but still, Madrid seems like the no brainer as all boxes get ticked. Nice city (even as one who goes there often enough to be completely blasé about it now), both aircraft are good, the T4S lounge is spotters paradise.

Enjoy
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Genius1
MAD is lovely, FRA is grim.
FRA is fine for only a day. The subway from Madrid airport to city center takes much longer than the train from Frankfurt airport to center of city
If you fly nto FRA, you have the option of taking the train in the opposite direction to Maintz, which has a lovely Christmas fair. The fair starts sometime in November.

Last edited by Bowgie; Oct 18, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
FRA is really not that grim and is actually a good choice for a day trip because you don’t need to spend any longer than a day there, whereas you can fill several days in Madrid.

I’ve enjoyed a few hours wondering around Frankfurt on the weekend.

Weather is key though - take advantage of the fact these fares can be booked last minute to pick somewhree that’s going to be dry and ideally sunny on the day.
Originally Posted by volar

Thats a little harsh! It may not be stunning in a classic sense but there are certainly enough points of interest there to spend a day. The city centre food (and wine) market alone is worth a couple of hours.
Originally Posted by Bowgie
FRA is fine for only a day. The subway from Madrid airport to city center takes much longer than the train from Frankfurt airport to center of city
If you fly nto FRA, you have the option of taking the train in the opposite direction to Maintz, which has a lovely Christmas fair.
With you guys on this. As a frequent visitor to FRA I agree 1 day in Frankfurt is enough, Madrid will need longer.
Travelling into Frankfurt city from the airport is easier than MAD.
FRA will give you enough to see to fill a day when you add in some food/drink.
The return is always crappy because of the bus gate but arrival in a 767 is right into the airport so you're not wasting time.

Heading to Frankfurt on Sunday myself, will be there til Tues but plenty of work to occupy me!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
MAD. Head to Cava Baja (La Latina area) for tapas bars. The mercado is a good choice for brunch and a walk around. Easy to get from MAD to the centre of Madrid on the subway too. Think we timed it as 45mins once from T4 to Sol.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
The CX lounge in FRA is marginally better than the JALmone but the IB lounge in T4S in MAD knocks socks off both the others
Am I the only one who does not like the new lounge at T4S in Madrid? it's hideous and smells.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by megaloman
Am I the only one who does not like the new lounge at T4S in Madrid? it's hideous and smells.
of elderberries?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

maybe that was a one off? Or is it rverytime you’re there? I like it, it had lots of seating and good food, including sushi!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Have gone with FRA; decided Madrid was easily worth more than a day and so will head there for a long weekend at some point. Looks like there’s plenty to do for a day in FRA, plus these day trips are meant to be a little bit random; thanks for the comments and thoughts.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Have gone with FRA; decided Madrid was easily worth more than a day and so will head there for a long weekend at some point. Looks like there’s plenty to do for a day in FRA, plus these day trips are meant to be a little bit random; thanks for the comments and thoughts.
Ah, the beauty of the internet! 20 people tell you to go to MAD and you go to FRA regardless!

If you must, get the S-Bahn to Hauptwache - there’s not a lot around the Hauptbanhof (main station). It’s basically cash only at the ticket machines - I’ve never worked out how to buy a ticket with a UK card. Then just wander from there. Romerplatz is very definitely worth a look and you’re not far from the cathedral quarter and there’s a fairly pleasant walk along the river too. Hard to suggest anything more as every time I’ve been there it’s been a bit, well, meh. But the beer is OK and it all just works.

As my colleague often says, “what’s the wurst that can happen?”
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BobServant
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Have gone with FRA; decided Madrid was easily worth more than a day and so will head there for a long weekend at some point.
Ah, the beauty of the internet! 20 people tell you to go to MAD and you go to FRA regardless!
- although one has to recognise that the logic is impeccable.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:31 am
Original Poster

LOL I know, right... impeccable logic... plus this day trip is with a friend and I’d rather go to Madrid for a few days with my wife. So your recommendations have been noted for a future trip
Genius1, Ldnn1 and BobServant like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:41 am

When are you there @TheFlyingCyclist?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Tomorrow (Sat 20th) all day.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Four years ago the lounge was dire. I spend around 2hrs there in transit to Miami. There were a lot of transatlantic flights departing and very selfish users occupying say 3 sofas of 2 seats for 2 people though the food and drink offerings were above average.

Not sure when they had their refurbishment but seating great with lots of single and pairs of seats with plugs lights and tables. Food again better than most out stations and the hidden ice cream fridge too. Fast track security at MAD also pretty fast!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by BobServant

If you must, get the S-Bahn to Hauptwache - there’s not a lot around the Hauptbanhof (main station). It’s basically cash only at the ticket machines - I’ve never worked out how to buy a ticket with a UK card. Then just wander from there. Romerplatz is very definitely worth a look and you’re not far from the cathedral quarter and there’s a fairly pleasant walk along the river too. Hard to suggest anything more as every time I’ve been there it’s been a bit, well, meh. But the beer is OK and it all just works.

As my colleague often says, “what’s the wurst that can happen?”
The ticket machines for the S-Bahn at Frankfurt Airport certainly take a UK Amex - I mentioned it in my report here: A business traveller's day in Frankfurt on BA

But I would have gone to Madrid to prop up the Mercado de San Miguel for a few hours with plenty of rioja, tapas, jamon and gin. And maybe a sherry to wash it down before careering back to Barajas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.