Wiki Posts
Search

767 weekend daytrip; MAD or FRA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
767 weekend daytrip; MAD or FRA?

So... I’m torn between these two, both are £88 return this weekend. Only the outbounds would be on the 767 as I fancy a wander round the cities before coming home. Return from MAD would be on 777. Which is an easier city for a daytrip?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
MAD is lovely, FRA is grim.
SKT-DK, mjh0, ppp909 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I would combine this with a Latam Z class FRA->MAD and do both. Nice little round trip.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Genius1
Second that ... FRA is grim
mjh0 and Genius1 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAEC

Second that ... FRA is grim
Thats a little harsh! It may not be stunning in a classic sense but there are certainly enough points of interest there to spend a day. The city centre food (and wine) market alone is worth a couple of hours.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1
+1
If you decided on FRA, you would end up complaining about being bussed to/from the plane, getting exasperated by the gate security and finding the lounge to be well below par.
In addition, Frankfurt really doesn't have that much to offer. There are quite a few threads on here about people going to Mainz or Wiesbaden instead, which says a lot about Frankfurt!

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Oct 17, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:32 pm

FRA is really not that grim and is actually a good choice for a day trip because you don’t need to spend any longer than a day there, whereas you can fill several days in Madrid.

I’ve enjoyed a few hours wondering around Frankfurt on the weekend.

Weather is key though - take advantage of the fact these fares can be booked last minute to pick somewhree that’s going to be dry and ideally sunny on the day.
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Hi...

I've done a day trip with BA to Madrid and thoroughly enjoyed the city so would recommend this one. I am a bit of a footie fan so my main focus during the day was a visit to the Bernabeu Stadium. I arrived around 11am and took the train into the city and then left around 7iish - I think. The MAD lounge is excellent and relaxing after a lot of walking!

I have also done Nice in a day which was also very good and believe or not you can walk directly from the airport into the town centre along promenade des anglais.
mikeyfly and GBobon like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
As someone who has done both I would go for MAD. The. 777 on the return is great especially if they open Premium Economy for Economy on the return.

The CX lounge in FRA is marginally better than the JALmone but the IB lounge in T4S in MAD knocks socks off both the others
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
FRA is really not that grim and is actually a good choice for a day trip because you don’t need to spend any longer than a day there ...
Damning it with faint praise! I’d definitely say Madrid, couldn’t imagine spending longer in Frankfurt than actually necessary. It’s like a German version of Birmingham.
ppp909 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would go for MAD too!

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:57 pm

Madrid is a world class city stuffed full of history, culture and good food. Frankfurt is somewhere even bankers don’t want to go to.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take a look at the weather forecast for Madrid this weekend. Looks wet while Frankfurt looks dry.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If MAD (which I’d thoroughly recommend) do watch your valuables on the airport metro. I’ve been a victim once and so has a friend. I know all cities you need to be careful, just seems rather more common on these lines.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
FRA is boring, MAD is full of culture, art, history y Paella! At the FRA airport even the lounge staff told me there is not much in the city. LOL
Genius1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.