Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens to a TA ticket if the TA goes bust?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

I have a flight to NBO on 28 October with BA booked through Omega travel. Tried contacting Omega today and found out that they had their ATOL licence revoked on 3 September. I cant see if the company is in adminstration or not but they arent answering phones or replying to emails. I called the BA line today to see if they could take ownership of the ticket so I could make a change, but they couldnt. What worried me was that I was told that the ticket was on hold and that they couldnt say if id be able to fly or not. For now, it looks like I can but was told, anything can happen between now and then.

For now, as the ticket looks like its still flyable, I cant do anything but just wait and see..I was under the impression that once the e-ticket was issued i'd be ok to fly regardless but that wasnt the advice I was given. Is there anything I can do here, other than just wait and keep my fingers crossed?

BTW ticket was issued before 3 September when they did have an ATOL licence
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:56 am

Did Omega issue you with an ATOL certificate when you booked? They have for all mine in the past.

Assuming so, and if the company is insolvent and your ticket has not been issued or is cancelled, you will get your money back in full from ATOL. You will not however be entitled to replacement flights, assuming you have not yet flown outbound.

Note, if a ticket is sold with ATOL protection it can still in theory be cancelled post-issue if unpaid by the agent. A ticket should not be sold without ATOL protection if the airline has the right to cancel it if the agent fails to pay.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
You need to find out from BA if the Agent has paid for the ticket or not.

If the Agent has paid for the ticket your'e golden - if not then you're in trouble. If the ticket is not paid for it depends on if you paid for it with a credit card or not, whether it has ATOL or not. First line of defense is ATOL if not you will need to rely on Section 75 if you paid on a CC as the CC is jointly liable.

I had a similar issue that the agent I booked for a CX ticket when bust but thankfully they had paid up so I was able to fly.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrploddy
You need to find out from BA if the Agent has paid for the ticket or not.

If the Agent has paid for the ticket your'e golden - if not then you're in trouble. If the ticket is not paid for it depends on if you paid for it with a credit card or not, whether it has ATOL or not. First line of defense is ATOL if not you will need to rely on Section 75 if you paid on a CC as the CC is jointly liable.

I had a similar issue that the agent I booked for a CX ticket when bust but thankfully they had paid up so I was able to fly.
I asked on the phone specifically if it had been paid and the agent said they didnt know/couldnt see that info. The ticket was bought in March, so I guess there's a chance they paid. I called BA again and they wont give any more info, other than to call the agent. The lady also said that the ticket is ok for now, but it could change.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
How did you pay for the ticket, if by credit/debit/charge card which company 'took' the payment?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
How did you pay for the ticket, if by credit/debit/charge card which company 'took' the payment?
Omega Travel Ltd on 12 March this year. Paid with Visa Credit card.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
I booked a BA-operated TATL issued on AA stock on March 2 with Omega.
Due to a schedule change, I called AA and after explaining the situation, they checked to confirm the ticket was paid for.
They (reluctantly) took control of the ticket, made the necessary changes and re-issued it.

It sounds like you already have an e-ticket issued. I could be wrong, but I thought an e-ticket only gets issued after the agency has paid.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by BA707
I booked a BA-operated TATL issued on AA stock on March 2 with Omega.
Due to a schedule change, I called AA and after explaining the situation, they checked to confirm the ticket was paid for.
They (reluctantly) took control of the ticket, made the necessary changes and re-issued it.

It sounds like you already have an e-ticket issued. I could be wrong, but I thought an e-ticket only gets issued after the agency has paid.
I may be wrong but I believe agents are billed in arrears ?. Tickets get issued but then if agencies don't pay up the airline has the right to block / put a hold on the ticket.

Look what happened with Tripsta.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Omega Travel Ltd on 12 March this year. Paid with Visa Credit card.
It sounds like you need to persist with BA and get to someone further up the chain of command.

If all else fails the fact that it was paid for with a Visa CC and if you don't have an ATOL then Section 75 comes in to play.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:05 am

It sounds like you need to persist with BA and get to someone further up the chain of command.

If all else fails the fact that it was paid for with a Visa CC and if you don't have an ATOL then Section 75 comes in to play.
The advice we had in the contact centres was that Omega travel still have control of their own bookings, regarding changes or cancellations. We havent received any information on whether tickets remain valid or not. And there isnt any way to check if the travel agent ‘paid’ or not in the bookings.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
I may be wrong but I believe agents are billed in arrears ?
No necessarily. In many cases, particularly for flight only bookings, the airline bills the customer card directly.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
No necessarily. In many cases, particularly for flight only bookings, the airline bills the customer card directly.
Oh yes I know I've seen that myself with Expedia - Cathay billed me and Expedia took a booking fee.

But the OP stated he was charged by Omega Travel so its subject to the murky world of Agent billing.

Does anyone with TA experience know how far behind BA bills TA's ? It might help the OP to establish if the ticket has been paid for or not.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP needs to persist with BA. Go up the "chain of command" if necessary. Front line agents are trained to simply tell callers to deal with their TA on TA-issued tickets.

I would also call your CC issuer. They track the financial health of merchant vendors very closely and you will not be the only customer with a problem (or non-problem).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

The advice we had in the contact centres was that Omega travel still have control of their own bookings, regarding changes or cancellations. We havent received any information on whether tickets remain valid or not. And there isnt any way to check if the travel agent ‘paid’ or not in the bookings.
Thanks Anonba, that's pretty much exactly what I was told on the phone. It was suprising to me to hear that the agents don't know if a ticket is valid or not, or if its been paid or not as these are key pieces of information. It seems like I will only know when I check in.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Lufthansa , British Airways, IHG, Hilton, Marriott
If we issue a ticket - its billed via Bank Settlement Plan (BSP) part of IATA. We pay IATA every 14 days (some agents are weekly or daily)

Omega have had there IATA licence suspended as well - Which means they cant issue or change any existing tickets - Source here. - https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/7191...nce-suspended/

You need to find out if an Eticket has been issued.... Its possible Omega have taken payment and not issued the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.