Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft type on BA177, October 30th

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Aircraft type on BA177, October 30th

Dear BA-folks,

I have booked BA177 on 30th of October. BA.com shows a Mid-J 744 flying that route that day (or, with some luck, a super high-J which is used some times without any visible pattern). However, according to flightera.net, last year from Oct. 28th on, that route has been served with a 777. Furthermore, expertflyer and flightmapper predict a 777 on this flight that day.

Can someone of you shed some light on that issue? Thanks so much in advance!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
If by ‘it’s showing’ you mean it’s showing as a mid J 747 when you go into select your seat, then you’ve got I’d estimate a 90-95% chance of this being your aircraft.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum jk1304, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

The overwhelming best guide to this area is the seat plan in Manage My Booking (MMB). If it changes, specifically a seat change, you should get an email (some FTers don't seem to get them however) but in the absence of that, a regular glance on MMB will be the best guide, and thebasource.com is the best way to check seats. Aircraft could change at any point, particularly at seasonal switch at the end of October and March when the clocks go back in the UK. Also when you head to 72 hours to departure there is a particular step since the precise aircraft is then allocated to the flight as it gets under the spotlight of the Flight Management and Scheduling units. But still, all paths lead to MMB. Flightradar24 will give you the registration of the aircraft, though it is not entirely reliable.

The other tools you mention aren't much used by FTers, from what I can make out.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I already thought about this issue pretty much exaclty like that. I was just curious how it's possible that other "predictions" are around which seem to have been picked out of thin air...
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jk1304
I have booked BA177 on 30th of October. BA.com shows a Mid-J 744 flying that route that day (or, with some luck, a super high-J which is used some times without any visible pattern). However, according to flightera.net, last year from Oct. 28th on, that route has been served with a 777. Furthermore, expertflyer and flightmapper predict a 777 on this flight that day.
I was just curious how it's possible that other "predictions" are around which seem to have been picked out of thin air...
To add slightly to what c-w-s has said, ExpertFlyer doesn't "predict" anything. It reports what has been filed in the GDS by the airline. What you are seeing in this specific case is a mismatch between the aircraft type shown in the flight availability display, and the seat map which has been loaded by the airline. This sometimes happens when the aircraft type planned to operate a specific flight has changed. You will see that the seat map on ExpertFlyer is for a mid-J 747, just as MMB shows a mid-J 747 - which is unsurprising because both of them draw live information from the actual reservation data filed in the GDS.

There is never any point looking up historical data about aircraft type when trying to find out what aircraft type is planned to operate a future type.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Globaliser
To add slightly to what c-w-s has said, ExpertFlyer doesn't "predict" anything. It reports what has been filed in the GDS by the airline. What you are seeing in this specific case is a mismatch between the aircraft type shown in the flight availability display, and the seat map which has been loaded by the airline. This sometimes happens when the aircraft type planned to operate a specific flight has changed. You will see that the seat map on ExpertFlyer is for a mid-J 747, just as MMB shows a mid-J 747 - which is unsurprising because both of them draw live information from the actual reservation data filed in the GDS.

There is never any point looking up historical data about aircraft type when trying to find out what aircraft type is planned to operate a future type.
Thanks for weighing in. What you said is what I pretty much came up with as well, I just have to rely on common sense and do not have the actual information, so thanks for substatiating that!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know why this flight was operated by a B772 yesterday, Oct. 22nd instead of the typical 744 service?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:42 am

Does anyone know why this flight was operated by a B772 yesterday, Oct. 22nd instead of the typical 744 service?
Because BA changed it.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to the BA board jk1304.
End of October is when the clocks change and the winter timetable kicks in, so not unusual to see new flight timings and aircraft allocations from that date, this year being Sunday 28th October.
As many have said, past information is no guarantee of future performance, so MMB is what you need to go by. Even if EF or flightera.net (never heard of that one so thanks for mentioning that site ) show it as a 777 and they happen to be right, there is nothing you can do about seating until MMB thinks its a 777.
Hope you have a good flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.