Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC two-factor authentication

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:06 am
eae
In memoriam

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GfL
Sadly this actually makes the BA login flow *less* secure. Using SMS for two-factor is worse than not having two factor at all as it gives a false sense of security.
At least it's consistent with the ridiculous "security" questions they ask when you call in... where all the information needed to answer them is available in the PNR.

Security theatre.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:51 am
09R

Locked out of Exec club account - not receiving 2FA code

I've been locked out of my exec club account for over a week now. When I try to reset the password, I receive the reset password link in my email but then the process on BA.com goes on to ask me to verify my identity by entering a 2FA code to be sent to my email address.....except this never arrives (have tried sending it multiple times). I've called up the helpline numerous times but only get through to an overseas call centre - they said they will send the code manually and it will take 24 hours...72 hrs later still not got it. Called again and they said 7 working days.

Getting a bit frustrating. Anyone had something similar and know how to resolve?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by eae
Sadly this actually makes the BA login flow *less* secure. Using SMS for two-factor is worse than not having two factor at all as it gives a false sense of security.
At least it's consistent with the ridiculous "security" questions they ask when you call in... where all the information needed to answer them is available in the PNR.

Security theatre.
How does this make it less secure? I don’t follow your logic.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I have had the 2-step authentication, it is not required for every login - when I was selected the SMS message was sent immediately and I was logged in in a matter of seconds. SInce this was introduced I have not been required to beat the CAPTCHA challenge - thank goodness.
Exactly how it worked for me. I had it saying it was following suspicious activity, I had the day before bought 3 redemption flights for a friend, her daughter and another daughter's boyfriend, so 3 flights in different names, none of which were mine, I did wonder if that was suspicious, albeit just helping a less fortunate friend.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
How does this make it less secure? I don’t follow your logic.
Many apps on your phone can have access to text messages so if one of them is malicious then they can forward the code on.

Another issue is if your number is switched to another SIM without your consent (anecdotally this seems to happen more in the US than the UK but that might be just the tech news I read)

SS7 which is the underlying network protocol is woefully insecure too

So there are many ways SMS messages can be intercepted.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

An update:

I used Twitter to contact BA (via direct message), and I received this reply within the hour, without supplying any further credentials (my Twitter handle is a verified - i.e. blue tick - account with my real name; I don't know if that has anything to do with it): I'm sorry to hear you have been experiencing problems accessing your account online. Please can you try logging in again, as this issue should now be resolved.

Indeed it was resolved. From their response it sounds like the non-arriving verification code is a known bug.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I just wish that [x] Remember Me ever worked
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dajdavies
Many apps on your phone can have access to text messages so if one of them is malicious then they can forward the code on.

Another issue is if your number is switched to another SIM without your consent (anecdotally this seems to happen more in the US than the UK but that might be just the tech news I read)

SS7 which is the underlying network protocol is woefully insecure too

So there are many ways SMS messages can be intercepted.
Whilst I don't have the knowledge to dispute any of the above points, I still don't see how this makes the account less secure? You've offered potential means by which one of the two security factors could be hacked.

Surely one of the most base purposes of 2FA is that it requires two quite different hacks to overcome it?

I'm not suggesting it's perfect, but I'm pretty certain even text message 2FA would be broadly considered to be more secure than password alone.

Out of general interest are there any reported cases of widespread 2FA attacks? Would say google authenticator be considered more secure than text message 2FA?
Old May 5, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Bumping this thread up, as I am facing the same issue: a request for 2-factor authentication, but the code is never delivered, be it via email or SMS. I tweeted BA, they forwarded my request to BAEC, but I'm still locked out after two days. Very frustrating.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I got a request for 2FA yesterday - but I did get the code via SMS pretty much immediately.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I also had the request for 2FA a few days ago, numerous requests for a code sent by text or email and it never arrived. This was on a my work laptop, using Chrome.
Once i got home that night, I tried again on my own laptop and it was delivered immediately. Using Chrome again, go figure.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:55 am

I had a 2fa challenge yesterday, but wasn't told about it in the app, the app just refused to update data and any attempt to log in failed with a generic login error.

It wasn't until I went to the website and logged in there that I was challenged.

Yet another poor set of IT work from BA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.