Search

Long-haul Y booked with OTA - tips?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Long-haul Y booked with OTA - tips?

Hi all

Booked the following through an OTA (TravelUp) this morning for New Year in Portland. Very different to my previous trip (a 2-4-1 F redemption via SJC on the 787-9..!), and so looking for any tips as to how to minimise trouble, and maximise comfort. I understand that BA 289 departs from T3, not T5.

Last time I booked through an OTA I had a horrible experience, so hoping to avoid similar this time! A particular concern is that I land at LGW at 11.15 on 29/12, and depart LHR at 14.35. For example, December is notorious for fog at JER - would BA auto re-book me onto another TATL flight if my JER-LGW leg was delayed?

It was a very cheap fare for the time of year (Ł377), especially given that it includes checked baggage. Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I am not sure how in Y on the vintage 747 you can increase comfort!!! Slim chance they'll be new seat covers and IFE, I'd definitely prepare for not though, so bring your own decent entertainment
ouennais likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

I'll definitely be packing a very well pre-loaded iPad!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes BA would rebook you if your JER-LGW flight were to be delayed.

Why did you book via an OTA - were they considerably cheapet than bookign direct with BA?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes BA would rebook you if your JER-LGW flight were to be delayed.

Why did you book via an OTA - were they considerably cheapet than bookign direct with BA?
I priced up the exact same itinerary with BA just before confirming with the OTA. Came to almost Ł1,200. So, yes - considerably cheaper. Not sure why..?!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:25 am

I find the pairs of seats at the rear of Y the 747s allow for more comfort, especially the windows which have a space between seat and wall to put your stuff. That said, I also think that the Y seats on the older 747s seem a little better padded than on the newer aircraft.

Don't go with any high expectations and you won't be disappointed. And yes, bring your own entertainment as the older style 4 x 3 tiny screens are awful!
ouennais likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:23 am

Be aware that BA do a 'best price guarantee'....I NEARLY booked with an OTA because they were cheaper - then discovered the 'price match'. Booked with BA and jumped through the (numerous) hoops (must be same day as booking) and got twice the difference back from BA (as a voucher - which is fine as a regular traveller).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
If there's any problem, BA will rebook you. I booked via OTA number of times and never had any problem. Even got upgrades to WT+. Had economy flight in B747 recently, got one of the last available aisle seats (rebooked due to delay) and survived no problem. It wasn't first class, but doable :-)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booking with an OTA can be problematic in case of schedule changes in advance of the flight. OTOH, for irrops on the day, there is IME no significant difference between booking with an OTA and with BA themselves. BA will have control of the ticket at that stage and will rebook you as required in the same way, whether your ticket was originally issued through an OTA or directly by BA themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.