Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin lights not dimmed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Cabin lights not dimmed

Whilst flying back from GLA to LHR on BA1474 on Sunday, even though our takeoff and landing were carried out at night the cabin lights were not dimmed which I thought was strange. Am I right in thinking that it is a rule that pilots dim the lights in the event of an unscheduled disembarkment needing to take place? If it is a hard rule that must be followed then I am unsure how neither the captain or first officer realised that this had not been carried out prior to takeoff or landing.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
It should be done but it is the duty of the cabin crew, not the flight deck crew to action as they are the only ones who know when they have finished in the cabin and can turn the lights down / up.

Pilot37
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Pilot37
It should be done but it is the duty of the cabin crew, not the flight deck crew to action as they are the only ones who know when they have finished in the cabin and can turn the lights down / up.

Pilot37
Thanks for the quick response! Maybe it was a new CSM that forgot to follow protocol.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:50 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by pcod9

Thanks for the quick response! Maybe it was a new CSM that forgot to follow protocol.
Some CSM's can be a bit dim and some would think that in itself will suffice.
bil, zarkov505, HMPS and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by pcod9
Whilst flying back from GLA to LHR on BA1474 on Sunday, even though our takeoff and landing were carried out at night the cabin lights were not dimmed which I thought was strange. Am I right in thinking that it is a rule that pilots dim the lights in the event of an unscheduled disembarkment needing to take place? If it is a hard rule that must be followed then I am unsure how neither the captain or first officer realised that this had not been carried out prior to takeoff or landing.
There are no cabin light controls in the flight deck. Some functions of load shedding in the event of generator failure kill reading lights galleys etc but this is an automatic feature.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: none
How many points are you going to request for this oversight?
TTmex, nancypants, DLBryon and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Exec
I don’t believe it would have been a CSM that was responsible, as that job title, when applied to flying crew based out of LHR only applies to Mixed Fleet SCCMs . I believe it is Eurofleet that currently operate flights between LHR and GLA, unless Mixed Fleet crew were called to operate the OP’s flight as a one-off.

Either way, yes the cabin lights should have been dimmed by the SCCM for take off and landing during the hours of darkness. Either they forgot, or it is possible that there was a malfunction that meant the SCCM could not change the light setting - it has happened before, it will most likely happen again. If it was the latter, the SCCM will most likely have submitted an Incident Report.

The FAP (“forward attendant panel”) on the Airbus consists of either a touch-screen panel or push button panel which controls multiple functions including interior cabin lighting. On the A32x series it is located next to the forward left hand door. The FAP has been known to “freeze” rendering all functions such as cabin lighting inoperable. On the older, push button FAP, the only way I know of fixing this problem is by resetting the relevant circuit breaker, and this - as far as I am aware - can only be done on the ground.

Other than that, in this scenario, there is little else they could have done.
Dover2Golf and 1Aturnleft like this.

Last edited by Bar Operator; Oct 16, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I'm not sure how often this happens... but it also happened on an A380 from HKG to LHR at then end of the august. I'm not sure why they didn't do it, I was kinda thinking "well if they oversight this security issue, how do they check other things?". It is important that cabin light dim during the ours of darkness (you need to accommodate to a lower light intensity in case of an emergency) - however I didn't ask why they didn't do it.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by tobsw
I'm not sure how often this happens... but it also happened on an A380 from HKG to LHR at then end of the august. I'm not sure why they didn't do it, I was kinda thinking "well if they oversight this security issue, how do they check other things?". It is important that cabin light dim during the ours of darkness (you need to accommodate to a lower light intensity in case of an emergency) - however I didn't ask why they didn't do it.
Not quite sure how this is a security issue, safety but not security
:D!, KeaneJohn and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:27 pm

How can I find my shoes, glasses, magazines, coat, iPad and similar, souvenir glasses and teaspoons, duty free and suitcase if the lights are down?

Leave them up; the CSM was bright not dim.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

It is policy, and it is good to do, and everyone would like them to be dimmed, but it’s not a no-go issue, for one simple reason:

”Cabin Crew 10 mins to landing”
”Crap the system is broken. Hmmm I can’t make the lights go off”
”Hello Captain, yes it’s SCCM here. I’m afraid you can’t land, the lights are on and someone might die not being able to see in the dark”
”Oh yes I see. Ok. I’ll stay airborne until you work out how to fix it”
[A bit of flying around in circles]
[Bang/Crash/Wallop]
”Oh dear, we ran out of fuel, seems we’re in a field over Enfield”
”Oh look Captain, everyone’s dead”
Alfie007, TWCLAM and kingstontoon like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew back from Chicago a few years ago, overnight. The lights werent dimmed at all during the night. They had broken and no one could turn them off.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Greenpen
How can I find my shoes, glasses, magazines, coat, iPad and similar, souvenir glasses and teaspoons, duty free and suitcase if the lights are down?

Leave them up; the CSM was bright not dim.
Er.... the light above your head, over the seat?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:52 am

If you ever fly Peach Aviation in Japan, they will never turn off or dim any lights for takeoff or landing at night. I have asked them why, but the cabin crew says it is the Peach Aviation rule to not dim the lights. Go figure. Just like everything else in Japan, it has to the Japanese way. I mean backwards to the rest of the world.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Travelin_the_world
o figure. Just like everything else in Japan, it has to the Japanese way. I mean backwards to the rest of the world.
I don't see why this is peculiarly Japanese. For many years, QF's procedure was to have the cabin lights fully on for take-off and landing - although I haven't done enough night flights with them recently to recall whether that has now changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.