Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To kids meal or not to kids meal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

To kids meal or not to kids meal

Flying a number of long haul segments in Club World. I am uncertain of the nature of kids meals offered in CW.

Do people typically order kids meals in CW or let them order off the normal menu? I understand it is partly dependent on the tastes of the individual children.

Thr children are 6 and 2.5yrs.

PS - I am not British but lived in London for a number of years. One of my colleagues thought it was abhorrent to refer to children as kids. So advance apologies to anyone I offend with my thread title!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
For the ages of your children I would order them children’s meal (CHML) as I think the contents would better suited for them.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
We generally wait until the menus are published and then make a decision about what the kids are going to have.

Mine are 11 and 9 now, and will eat anything so we tend to leave it up to them these days

When they were younger, there was a bit of discussion. They would always have a curry if one was on offer though.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Are they given a choice of kids meal or is there only one option?

Surprisingly I think the 2 year old would pretty much eat anything on the adults menu.

The 6 year old has been on at least 8 long haul business class flights and for some reason I have never ordered a kids meal. Although on a recent flight poor thing waited two hours for the adult meal only to find it did not fit the description (or at least what he imagined). Hence my interest in the kids meals.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:30 am
Suspended

On our flight from LHR to IHD the kids meal was quite good both the hot and the cold meal. On the return both meals were identical to the regular meal just in a "kids box" and of course it arrived way earlier than the regular meal. I think its good for kids, it had some sugar free snacks (i think it was dried mango), a little cake, pasta in tomato sauce and fruit.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by teddyflyer
Flying a number of long haul segments in Club World. I am uncertain of the nature of kids meals offered in CW.

Do people typically order kids meals in CW or let them order off the normal menu? I understand it is partly dependent on the tastes of the individual children.

Thr children are 6 and 2.5yrs.

PS - I am not British but lived in London for a number of years. One of my colleagues thought it was abhorrent to refer to children as kids. So advance apologies to anyone I offend with my thread title!
You may be better off referring to them as "rug rats" then
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Why not just order one....at worse then they can both pick and choose bits off that tray to share.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
We always go with the adult menu, there's always something to eat and the kids' meal tends to be things like chicken pasta or nuggets, that sort of thing. We don't have a kids' menu at home, after all, the toddler eats what we eat in smaller portions. So why would it be different in the air?
marshy11, flygirl68 and BA5E like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Whilst neither BA nor Club, my kids (perfectly acceptable term!) both had the Child Meal in Y on KLM. It consisted of beef burger patties, bread roll, chips and ketchup. The adult meal was Chinese chicken with rice and veges. My younger (7) would have eaten the chicken without any issue, but my older (9) would have refused point blank. They both have autism. The second meal was a pizza, for both child and adult meals. On the return they slept through the first meal, and the breakfast was almost identical. In short, I'd always order the child meal.
signol
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by teddyflyer
Are they given a choice of kids meal or is there only one option?

Surprisingly I think the 2 year old would pretty much eat anything on the adults menu.

The 6 year old has been on at least 8 long haul business class flights and for some reason I have never ordered a kids meal. Although on a recent flight poor thing waited two hours for the adult meal only to find it did not fit the description (or at least what he imagined). Hence my interest in the kids meals.
Only you (and the other parent) know your children well enough to know what they will eat.

Are you able to pre-order and let them chose in advance?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
teddyflyer and tynmar like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
The above was the kids meal on a recent flight in F. My understanding is that this would have been the same meal served in J, butbplated differeently?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marshy11
Only you (and the other parent) know your children well enough to know what they will eat.

Are you able to pre-order and let them chose in advance?
The question was more around the quality/nature of the kids meals. For example, if it is a kids version of the adult CW meal I would be happy, whereas if it is something like nuggets then I would stick to the adult meal.

I might order one of each, although can imagine that might cause dramas with an irrational 2 year old.

I will also look at the pre order option.

The First meal shown above looks good and is something they would eat.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:18 pm

The two year old will eat and enjoy foie gras, caviar, rare Japanese beef , jelly fish and anything green with enthusiasm and thoroughly enjoy it. The six year old will only eat turkey twizzlers drenched in red sauce. Such is life. To retain a balance don’t send your child to school.
teddyflyer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
The above was the kids meal on a recent flight in F. My understanding is that this would have been the same meal served in J, butbplated differeently?

yep that reminds me of kids meal in First. The food was fine but the set up and serving for kids under 7 is utterly ludicrous. No kids cutlery and glass. It would be fine if you can sit with them but it’s OTT.

On on some occasions the F meal was served on a tray and was identical to the club tray. BA never were child friendly and made no effort. When tray served it invariably had packets of sweets and chocolate on it too so getting them to then eat greens was a challenge.

for it to work you need an and engaged crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.