Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Changes Codeshare Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Same Day Changes Codeshare Flights

Just wanted to report here something I didn’t know about free same day changes (SDC) and codeshares and wasn’t clear from the threads I’d read here or the fare rules.

I have previously tried to do a change at an airport from a BA ticketed EI operated flight and was denied. I’d assumed this was because of a policy for these changes only applying to BA tickets on BA metal.

Today (and from the app) I’ve just swapped from BA ticketed BA metal to AY metal for free. I’ve yet to try swapping away from another carrier back to BA but I have the feeling that would work too.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Just wanted to report here something I didn’t know about free same day changes (SDC) and codeshares and wasn’t clear from the threads I’d read here or the fare rules.

I have previously tried to do a change at an airport from a BA ticketed EI operated flight and was denied. I’d assumed this was because of a policy for these changes only applying to BA tickets on BA metal.

Today (and from the app) I’ve just swapped from BA ticketed BA metal to AY metal for free. I’ve yet to try swapping away from another carrier back to BA but I have the feeling that would work too.
ba/ay was definitely not possible before (though i believe ba/ib on mad was). So interesting if it is not a one off but a durable change
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by orbitmic

ba/ay was definitely not possible before (though i believe ba/ib on mad was). So interesting if it is not a one off but a durable change
I had succeeded to do SDC on the LHR-HEL route. I booked the BA ticket on the BA metal (because it was much cheaper on BA website) and I was able to change it to the AY A350 plane on the day at midnight without any issue. (Yes then it was a short sleep ) I'm not sure what is the official answer but it is doable if you call BA at midnight. Don't try it at HEL airport you will be refused as the ticketing agents have no clue about SDC...
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:25 am

Must be a glitch as free change on the day is only for BA prime flights.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
I might try an SDC to/from EI next week then ... see if this glitch is widespread. Thing is, I don’t see in the fare rules where it says it’s not allowed. IMO BA should be doing everything to make a codeshare look and feel and behave like a real BA flight, the inconsistencies really hack me off, and as a result I avoid them, which presumably is exactly what BA don’t want!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Krisz
I had succeeded to do SDC on the LHR-HEL route. I booked the BA ticket on the BA metal (because it was much cheaper on BA website) and I was able to change it to the AY A350 plane on the day at midnight without any issue. (Yes then it was a short sleep ) I'm not sure what is the official answer but it is doable if you call BA at midnight. Don't try it at HEL airport you will be refused as the ticketing agents have no clue about SDC...
Sorry, just to be clear: You did this by calling rather than online?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
Sorry, just to be clear: You did this by calling rather than online?
Hi, yes. In my experience SDC can work sometime online but most of the time it doesn't even if I book it on BA website the ticket. So I just have this habit now to just dial. Usually the agent checks my booking and usually has to send it to ticketing. Then it depends but from 10min to 2 hours the new e-ticket appears and I can check in, etc.
Also bear in mind that you can't really be too picky on the seats usually only 1-2 maybe 3 seats are free on the AY A350. (HEL-LHR)

Also as Anonba said it might be not officially permitted but staff can be confused the way BA implemented SDC. I think BA staff just checks the fare rule itself and if it looks like SDC and the flight has a BA flight number they just do it manually. I think until BA is not including SDC in the proper fare rules there will be confusion as I guess staff has to check the proper rules somewhere else outside of the ticket fare rule itself.

Also I think because AY LHR HEL route using exactly the same terminal as BA and IB as well that could be some explanation why you can do that whilst if it's EI it using a different terminal at LHR... No idea to be honest but goo luck.

Last edited by Krisz; Oct 16, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:20 pm

A free same-day-change is only permitted where the change can be made through a revalidation of the ticket, it is not available where it requires a reissue. This means that the call centre agent in the post above could potentially cause difficulties with your itinerary if the ticketing process spots the error and rejects it - something to be aware of.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Another data point — I cannot today make an SDC from BA to EI in the app or on the web. I might call in later.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Called in and was told I was on a basic fare so no SDC for free. Gah!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Another data point — I cannot today make an SDC from BA to EI in the app or on the web. I might call in later.
Free change on the day only applies to BA operated flights this is why it wont work.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba
Free change on the day only applies to BA operated flights this is why it wont work.
errr, well at least once, last week, it worked for me! Hence the thread...
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

errr, well at least once, last week, it worked for me! Hence the thread...
Yes someone inadvertantly changed your booking for free in error.
There is a set of eligbility criteria available to BA contact centre agents. It is absolutely clear that its only BA operated flights that it can be done on. Free change on the day involves a process that opens up the same booking class on new flight, this can only be done as part of as an automated BA revenue management process it couldnt be done on other carriers.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba
Yes someone inadvertantly changed your booking for free in error.
There is a set of eligbility criteria available to BA contact centre agents. It is absolutely clear that its only BA operated flights that it can be done on. Free change on the day involves a process that opens up the same booking class on new flight, this can only be done as part of as an automated BA revenue management process it couldnt be done on other carriers.
In addition - and again as stated above - a SDC is only available where the change can be made through a reval. A change of carrier does not permit this, it must be a reissue, and is therefore not permitted. A one-time glitch made in error does not set a valid precedent.
Anonba likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Confus

In addition - and again as stated above - a SDC is only available where the change can be made through a reval. A change of carrier does not permit this, it must be a reissue, and is therefore not permitted. A one-time glitch made in error does not set a valid precedent.
For the record i see the fact that there are set criteria for eligibility more important than it technically being a reval/reissue. Also a lot of people wont understand what the difference is or why a reval would be done versus a reissue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.