Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade offers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Upgrade offers

Does anyone know what the criteria is for BA to offer reduced prices for upgrades? I have two upcoming flights SFO-LHR and return. We received an offer to upgrade WT to WT+ on the return flight and I really want to do the same on the outward flight. However the normal upgrade price for the flight out is showing as $5k! If anyone could shed some light on the logic behind it I would appreciate it.......thank you
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Primarily, it's to try to get some incremental revenue for seats in the higher cabin that would otherwise go empty, but without damaging market discipline (ie if you expect to be seated in the higher cabin, you must pay for it).

The danger in these schemes is always that people learn to expect to be able to upgrade on the cheap, and therefore don't buy a ticket in the higher cabin even though they want to be seated in it.

If your outbound flight is already very heavily booked in the higher cabin, then the chances of you being offered a cheapie upgrade will be correspondingly slim.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
i've just been "offered" an upgrade from PE to J from YYZ to LHR next month. At $729 single, it brings it up to the original J price. I get it that an upgrade is what its worth to you personally. Had I wanted an club flight, I would have purchased it at the time of booking the flight! IA friday night out of Toronto is not busy in biz or PE and it's unlikely the flight is full. If BA are serious about additional revenue, then offer it to me for 200/300 bucks (a night in a hotel) and I'd buy on the spot. I accept protecting a product ie club through not offering deals is important, so make it random who it's offered to. As a silver, I already get priority check in, fast track, priority boarding, 2 bags at 32kg and the lounge on arrival, plus an enhanced (if only!!) biz type meal, and so the 729 bucks is for a flat bed and a hot breakfast!

The big plus of these upgrades is the additional TPs and so if you're just short of a threshold for a higher status, this can get you over the line
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
i've just been "offered" an upgrade from PE to J from YYZ to LHR next month. At $729 single,
I had the same offer at the airport desk at check-in in YYZ and I found it noncompetitive and declined it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If BA are serious about additional revenue, then offer it to me for 200/300 bucks (a night in a hotel) and I'd buy on the spot.
But BA and other airlines are not as pointed out earlier in this thread in selling at any price because the people who do pay for J or PE don't want to subsidize people who know that airlines will "routinely" sell upgrades for a pittance, then everyone starts angling for that method.
Some airlines like CX know they have the passenger on board anyway at a price which must cover the marginal cost of that passenger for say, coach service, and have no interest in moving people from coach to PE or PE to J at all, at any price, which is how it should be done.
Want PE or J? Buy PE or J, 100% success rate for me since 2003.
anniegray likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
As a silver, I already get priority check in, fast track, priority boarding, 2 bags at 32kg and the lounge on arrival, plus an enhanced (if only!!) biz type meal, and so the 729 bucks is for a flat bed and a hot breakfast!
While not disagreeing with your logic, I don’t think BA price these upgrades differrently for status or non-status holders or for differrent tiers, so for someone without status they whole package is worth more. You might be able to add Heathrow arrivals lounge access to the list above.

This often comes up with Club Europe upgrades which can be quite good value at £60-100 for non-status holders just for the ground and luggage benefits. YMMV.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:32 pm

Best way to get a free upgrade?

So my friend and I are going to the philippines and we’re flying Cathay pacific (not together). Is there any way I can get a free upgrade to business class or even first class? I’m currently flying premium economy.
other info: my flight was booked via miles redemption (70,000 Avios from British Airways), I have priority pass, and I’m an AMEX platinum card holder, and 18, if that matters. Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by joscar3
So my friend and I are going to the philippines and we’re flying Cathay pacific (not together). Is there any way I can get a free upgrade to business class or even first class? I’m currently flying premium economy.
other info: my flight was booked via miles redemption (70,000 Avios from British Airways), I have priority pass, and I’m an AMEX platinum card holder, and 18, if that matters. Thanks!
OK, so the best thing to do here is to go to the gate, and as subtly as possible, flash your AMEX platinum card at one of the agents, giving a flamboyant conspiratorial wink. She or he will nod imperceptibly - don't approach too closely - and type some stuff into the computer. Wait 5 minutes, refresh your app, and you'll find yourself in J or F (depending on the quality of the wink).

Don't tell anyone I gave you the secret procedure either as I'll get chucked straight off the board if they find me out.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
OK, so the best thing to do here is to go to the gate, and as subtly as possible, flash your AMEX platinum card at one of the agents, giving a flamboyant conspiratorial wink. She or he will nod imperceptibly - don't approach too closely - and type some stuff into the computer. Wait 5 minutes, refresh your app, and you'll find yourself in J or F (depending on the quality of the wink).

Don't tell anyone I gave you the secret procedure either as I'll get chucked straight off the board if they find me out.
Cant tell if serious or not lmao
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;

@bisonrav - you naughty person! You shouldn't be giving out that information on an internet chat site. shame!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Cathay indeed have their own way of doing this (or perhaps not doing this) but for anyone brought here by Google the definitive BA guides for upgrades is to be found in this forum's Dashboard .
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
In fairness to @joscar3, here's a quick and less flippant summary of the real situation. Getting free upgrades to premium cabins is usually more difficult than turning up and asking. Generally it requires cabins beneath the one you want to get into being oversold, and usually the way upgrades are allocated is automatic and works on the basis of what previous status you have with the airline. I don't know exactly what CX do for free upgrades, but that's possibly not important as they do have a system where you can bid for an upgrade into the next cabin - whether this applies for you on a BA redemption ticket is probably best asked on the Cathay Pacific board, but you can get fairly cheap upgrades to business class if you hit lucky.

Whether I would or not in your position is another question. PE is pretty good on CX, and if you consider that a bargain upgrade bid might be £500 to £800, you need to think whether you can deal with 12 hours of relative comfort in PE or choose marginally additional comfort in business class and a slightly better meal, given the alternative is a chunk of cash to spend in the Philippines where it will buy you a hell of a lot more than a lie down seat. One of the benefits to being 18 is more resilience when travelling, so may be a good opportunity to use that.

Nothing to stop you asking politely on check in to see if anything is available free, if you do, best tactic is to be polite and personable and take the almost inevitable rejection with good humour. But good luck anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I'd love to be proved wrong.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by joscar3
In fairness to joscar3, here's a quick and less flippant summary of the real situation. Getting free upgrades to premium cabins is usually more difficult than turning up and asking.
Indeed - because the first question to be asked is always: What you do you think is so different or special about yourself that you should be able to get an upgrade that other premium economy passengers won't get?

If you could get one just by asking, why shouldn't everyone get one just by asking?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Indeed - because the first question to be asked is always: What you do you think is so different or special about yourself that you should be able to get an upgrade that other premium economy passengers won't get?

If you could get one just by asking, why shouldn't everyone get one just by asking?
Because this unfortunately seems to be what most travel blogs and articles suggest you do - along with dress smartly and smile, "Just in case". Which has probably been asked by the previous 200 people in the queue! Much harder to do this with automated check in desks and bag drops.

I tend to ask "is it a busy flight" not so much for an upgrade, but to get a seat in a less busier part of the cabin - if it exists of course.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I had the same offer at the airport desk at check-in in YYZ and I found it noncompetitive and declined it.
I'm very surprised by this, as I was offered the PE to Club one-way upgrade from YYZ for $355. I accepted, but was in the middle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.