Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Proper service flows in J on short overnight flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses

Flew back last night from YYZ on a 788 with a very green crew. 30 minutes after takeoff they asked me if I wanted to eat. I said no food, just a glenlivet please. This took more than another 30 minutes to arrive as they took no effort to serve drinks first or even drinks only orders first. My drink arrived after my seat mate received her entire starter tray with drink. My colleague who was in the forward J cabin had the same experience and actually confronted the crew when her single glass of wine hadn’t arrived 75 minutes after takeoff. They again explained they were preparing food. Most of my short J flights are UD 747 and generally with well oiled WW crew but is this common on other aircraft? This can’t possibly be the actual perscribed service flow?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I've had this too! Especially in the rear cabin; I've also had it in First sitting towards the back where inexperienced crew were so focused on Row 1 and 2, they forgot about the rest of the cabin!! 20 mins after boarding, I've had to go and ask for a glass of champagne whilst Row 1 got the drink, bag, menu
Some may disagree, but since mixed fleet took over the Toronto route, first and biz have not been as consistently good as long haul crew. They may have been a tad more cranky, but they knew their stuff, the right shortcuts to take (especially on night flights) and could gauge PAX much better on what sort of service they should provide.
All that said, an hour for a drink is poor - really poor! Perhaps the revamped biz service will speed things up. One crew on each aisle doing a tray drinks service after take off with half the cabin already alseep shouldn't take that long!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On overnight flights speed is a very most important factor, I think that the more experienced crew are able to deliver the adhoc service more quickly with customers receiving what they want when they want it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.