Gluten Free SML in F

Old Oct 13, 18, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Gluten Free SML in F

In a coule of weeks we are off to DEL in F. My friend is on a gluten and diary free diet and, having seen the menu for the outgoing flight on MMB, is considering ordering a SML.

Before going down that route we would like get any feedback from others who have tried GF offerings in F.

TIA
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:05 pm

Well I have no experience but often the special meals in First are not great. Many people prefer to adapt the original menu.
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
SPML in F and J are the same ones.
Old Oct 13, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Am not sure you can get a gluten and dairy free meal on BA. Gluten free meals are fairly likely to have dairy and vegan meals are fairly likely to have gluten. Asian vegetarian is probably the best bet but you still risk the meal having paneer cheese,
Old Oct 14, 18, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC (Bronze), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
Well I have no experience but often the special meals in First are not great. Many people prefer to adapt the original menu.
Special meals in F (or J) really aren't all that special !! My wife requires a gluten free diet, and as you say, has just adapted the regular offerings. In F at least. In Y or CE she just goes for the special meal.
OP, on your booking you should be able to see the menu prior to your flight, and it will list the allergens in each meal, so can choose and pre-order a meal that suits, assuming there is a gluten free AND dairy free option. On board, there is also the "chefs chat" sheet, which should again detail allergens in any menu items.

If you order a special meal, prepare for disappointment. Also, if you search the threads, there have been several in the last few years, I've commented on them. Or just search by my username, if easier.

Let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 14, 18, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Thanks for all the replies, they confirm what we already thought.
Old Oct 14, 18, 5:27 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
If you are properly allergic to or even intolerant of gluten then I wouldn’t risk this. In the LGW lounge now and every single hot choice has gluten in it, from the obvious as in pasta to the not at all obvious Indian curry.

Originally Posted by womble88 View Post
...Asian vegetarian is probably the best bet but you still risk the meal having paneer cheese,
Does Asian vegetarian tend to be Indian? Genuinely curious
Old Oct 14, 18, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
Thanks for all the replies, they confirm what we already thought.

You can see the menu for First about a month before the flight and that menu shows allergens. I would look at that first and then choose a special meal if nothing works from that menu.

and yes, Asian vegetarian tends to be curry from other threads on here.
johnaalex and JohnnyColombia like this.
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post

Does Asian vegetarian tend to be Indian? Genuinely curious
On BA, yes IME. Mrs O orders it fairly often, and it has always been Indian food. The quality is usually fairly decent ex-UK, a bit more variable when catered from outstations (ex-India tends to be ok too )
JohnnyColombia likes this.
Old Oct 14, 18, 10:24 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
After seeing and commenting on this thread yesterday I had a gluten free meal booked in Club Europe to Valencia

The experience was actually pretty helpful. The FA got to me and said “We’ve got a gluten free meal for you, or you can choose from the menu”

She brought the tech data sheets for the main menu. The sweet pea risotto and cold salmon salad were gluten free too.

In terms of adapting the menu, the tech data sheets only apply to the whole dish, so the butter chicken was listed as containing gluten but it came with naan bread. It would not be possible to know if it still contains gluten if you throw the bread away.

Worth asking for a or a gluten free meal anyway though as the dessert had a biscuit base and the cheese on the regular tray came with wheat crackers.
johnaalex likes this.

Search this Thread