Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fair compensation for no meal in J LCY-FRA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
As a data point, I used to get 10,000 Avios for lack of first choice of meal on LCY flights, which subsequently dropped to 6,000. That was a couple of years ago though.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In general terms, that's what compensation normally involves: repaying someone the amount that they actually lost (which they often have a legal duty to reasonably minimise).

If they actually spent €12 that they should not have had to, then the compensation is €12 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.

If they actually spent €30 that they should not have had to, then the compensation is €30 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.

If they actually spent €300 that they should not have had to, but they could reasonably have restricted the actual amount spent to €30, then the compensation is €30 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.
the meal costs far more than 30 to the passenger, who pays a large premium for the experience. Cost to the airline is meaningless in this scenario.

as an American flyer with no BAEC account, I would ask for a voucher in my own situation
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by footballfanatic

as an American flyer with no BAEC account, I would ask for a voucher in my own situation
What would you wish the voucher to be used for ; and what value do you feel would be appropriate ?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

What would you wish the voucher to be used for ; and what value do you feel would be appropriate ?
that’s the question, and it does seem from the frame of your response that this is not common on BA at least in your experience. The voucher would be good toward future flights within a defined period, usually 1 year from date of issue (this is what American does sometimes). fair compensation would be some % difference between Y and J which does exceed the actual cost of food (adding up the actual costs of J products leads to a far smaller difference in marginal cost than the fare difference suggests). I could care less what the actual costs are to BA...we pay a higher fare for the overall experience.

i would expect no less from AA for BAEC members.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Many thanks for coming back footballfanatic ^

There is of course a wide spectrum of views as to how, and to what level, anyone affected should be compensated.

I’m not sure the voucher towards a future flight is ideal in all cases (and I can’t say I have the perfect solution myself) ; but I’m 100% on the same wavelength as yourself in terms of the ‘overall experience’ being a key factor when it comes to an airline addressing such service failures.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by Mike P
No, you are trolling this thread and not helping the OP in the slightest.
Or you, or anyone else on this thread, simply don't like my way of thinking. Having an alternative opinion to the majority is far from trolling. I personally don't believe the OP deserves anything at all and is not worth fighting for.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Or you, or anyone else on this thread, simply don't like my way of thinking. Having an alternative opinion to the majority is far from trolling. I personally don't believe the OP deserves anything at all and is not worth fighting for.
Having an alternative opinion with no basis other than your own prejudices which you forcefully state repeatedly in a condescending manner whilst failing to respond to any of the reasonable counterarguments put against it however, is not far from trolling.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:22 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Who Posted?

Total Posts: 67

Username Posts
ilcannone 8
subject2load 4
mario 4

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
Before we all head round in circles, perhaps some of us might like to consider whether we are actually adding anything more to the thread, or merely piling-on. It is common courtesy, once you’ve had your say, to cease dominating the thread and allow others to make their point so we get a wider, possibly more representative, set of views. @:-)

/mod
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I just got 15k Avios for no CE meal LCY to DUB (ie a salad). Seemed quite generous and above my expectations (5k Avios).
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Personally. I would out on the receipt for the meal, likely to be valuable to me than the small Avios gesture and would have been a significant meal at €35.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:09 am
formerly JackDann

When I complained to BA and they refused to offer me any compensation I took them to court for the entire cost of the upgrade I paid for and they caved in and paid it.

Reality is I probably would have accepted some Avios as compensation, alternatively i’d charge them for a Meal at either end of my journey or anything bought on board.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by FEMW
yes it is - it is the principle that people paid a premium to fly in CE. BA advertise the Club Europe ‘experience’ of lounges and lovely food (whether it is crummy or absolutely delicious). They are breaking advertising standards by failing to provide.
I agree. Also, the more this happens, and the more people write here we shouldn't bother complaining, the more we let BA off the hook and they believe they can get away with not loading enough meals etc etc.

It's also about meeting expectations. One thing I find about this board is most people are avid flyers, but forget many people (who probably don't post....) fly very rarely, maybe once or twice a year. They pay for CE for the entire experience. It's a privilege and part of their well-earned vacation.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mario
Yesterday on the 7pm flight to FRA there were no meals in J, ”as the wrong catering had been loaded".

What would you consider fair compensation for this?
a) 4,500 Avios as that was what the upgrade from Y cost
b) £69 as this is their usual advertised upgrade offer
c) 35 EUR as this was the cost of dinner in Frankfurt (I have the receipt)
d) None of the above
whenever my special meal failed to materialise, I got 5,000 Avios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.