Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fair compensation for no meal in J LCY-FRA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Can’t believe people are defending lack of meal on here
Apparently this happens quite a lot on the FRA route
Would you be happy if you got on board and were sat in Y when you had paid for CE
First world problem?
You pay for an expected level of service
BA shouldnt sel CE if they can’t deliver
if you think its not important just fly ryanair
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jagboi
The food is pretty much the only differentiator between CE and ET out of LCY, and people often pay quite a premium to sit in CE. Therefore if you're happy to not have food, buy a ET ticket. But for those who have paid for CE I can see them getting upset when the main part of the CE difference over ET isn't delivered.
I agree with this. I assume LCY-FRA is on an Embraer? So there is no middle seat to block, no lounge - aside from the food, the only other difference is the tier points and avios?

Whether paying for J is worth it is a separate question. If you have paid for J, and don't get the one thing that is the differentiator, then I would expect the difference between J and Y back.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ilcannone
I think a lot of the above really need to consider that travel isn't a right for many people across the world, it's still a luxury. Even business-related travel could class as a luxury. The fact is that you got from A-B (presumably on time) safely and securely and a little bit of onboard food really is not worth moaning about. Had you been delayed or inconvenienced in one way or another, I could understand, but simply not getting it...come on, get a grip already. It's this kind of arrogance and compensation culture that really grinds my gears on this forum.
I fail to see how you can interpret "I paid for X and did not receive it" as "arrogance and compensation culture." If you ordered 12 shirts from an online shop, and only 10 showed up, I find it hard to believe you would shrug and say "Oh well, there are many people across the world who don't have a shirt."

Someone who just wants to fly from A to B books World Traveller, or Easyjet, or Ryanair. When we start talking business class, you're darn right it's luxury travel, so don't give me the same WT seat and take away one of the differentiators. BA doesn't even provide extra legroom like KLM!

Last edited by Gig103; Oct 16, 2018 at 12:53 am Reason: Fixed typo that changed meaning (would shrug, not wouldn't)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
The fact so many people are getting SO defensive over a poxy meal kind of proves my point all along to be fair.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
The fact so many people are getting SO defensive over a poxy meal kind of proves my point all along to be fair.
It really doesn't. I am pretty sure that you are just winding some people up. Successfully.

Just recently, on a CE flight from MRS-LHR, I'd ordered a gluten free meal and was given only three tiny sandwiches, nothing else. I was given 3000 Avios by the CSM in compensation which is fair, IMO. Poxy or not, it's what we have paid for.

Last edited by offtothehills; Oct 16, 2018 at 2:28 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I think a lot of the above really need to consider that travel isn't a right for many people across the world, it's still a luxury. Even business-related travel could class as a luxury. The fact is that you got from A-B (presumably on time) safely and securely and a little bit of onboard food really is not worth moaning about. Had you been delayed or inconvenienced in one way or another, I could understand, but simply not getting it...come on, get a grip already. It's this kind of arrogance and compensation culture that really grinds my gears on this forum.

Well, to be honest, it is a bit of a joke, but not a 'haha' joke.
Fair enough. They failed to deliver the advertised service but we all make mistakes. Next time I am at fault with BA, e.g. missing my flight and being asked to pay a change fee+fare difference, I'll let them know how once I didn't pursue compensation for a missing meal and how a new seat on another flight doesn't cost them a lot. What's a seat in the millions of seats they sell every year?

ll even quote you verbatim if they dontd bulge.

​It's this kind of arrogance and compensation culture that really grinds my gears​​​​​​
and I'll let you know if that made BA waive the fees.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
That worse things could have happened doesn't justify lesser wrongs. It doesn't take much thought to understand why that's true.
Hah, we could be given new ideas to BA's copy-paste robot at customer services here:

"Dear Customer, thank you for getting in touch about your recent flight in First. We're sorry to hear that your seat didn't recline, you didn't have any food or drink, your IFE didn't work, we lost your bags, and the flight was 6 hours late. However, the plane didn't crash and nobody died, so unfortunately we are unable to offer you any compensation on this occasion. Thank you for choosing British Airways."
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:03 am

Yes, it is ONLY a small amount of food but here's the thing - BA (like so many large companies) strictly force their customers to play by the rules, BA's rules. They will use any infraction by the customer to penalise them. These pages are filled with issues that are clearly their fault yet the customer has to jump thru hoops for compensation for issues that are clearly the fault of the airline. It's a one-way street in so many cases that it stands to reason when, in a case like this the customer decides on a matter of principle to require the company to stump up for not providing something that is already paid for.

BA would have no qualms about going thru the fine print and standing its ground on any number of small yet insignificant issues instead of using a common-sense approach. If they were a touch more human, more flexible, it would mean that the customer goes away knowing they were treated fairly. Is it any wonder then that when the shoe is on the other foot, customers demand to be compensated as almost a pay-back for the "computer says no" way of being handled in the past? Yes, I will agree that there are instances of CS operators who show a certain amount of common sense and try and sort an issue out but this is the rare exception and not the rule.

You reap what you sow and this is BA's (and many other company's) legacy.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by offtothehills
It really doesn't. I am pretty sure that you are just winding some people up. Successfully.

Just recently, on a CE flight from MRS-LHR, I'd ordered a gluten free meal and was given only three tiny sandwiches, nothing else. I was given 3000 Avios by the CSM in compensation which is fair, IMO. Poxy or not, it's what we have paid for.
See, that I can see as being a worthwhile reason, particularly given how dietary requirements can be critical etc.

But I am actually quite serious in my own opinions, just like everyone else is with theirs. It just so happens that my opinion is a very unpopular one and is going to cause outrage, unfortunately. So believe what you will.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Hah, we could be given new ideas to BA's copy-paste robot at customer services here:

"Dear Customer, thank you for getting in touch about your recent flight in First. We're sorry to hear that your seat didn't recline, you didn't have any food or drink, your IFE didn't work, we lost your bags, and the flight was 6 hours late. However, the plane didn't crash and nobody died, so unfortunately we are unable to offer you any compensation on this occasion. Thank you for choosing British Airways."
cx said something along the line once. i got told to wait at the F checkin desk outport whilst the F agent summons a Y pax. i complained and cx said i did eventually get checked in there (after me complaining) so they didnt give a ....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In general terms, that's what compensation normally involves: repaying someone the amount that they actually lost (which they often have a legal duty to reasonably minimise).
You're conflating two separate issues: what was lost and what was spent on a non-identical replacement. What you voluntarily spend on the replacement is not a factor in the value of the loss.

If your car is deemed a total loss and you choose to buy a more expensive car, the insurance payout has nothing to do with what you chose to spend on your replacement car. It has to do with the value of the car that was lost.
If they actually spent €12 that they should not have had to, then the compensation is €12 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.

If they actually spent €30 that they should not have had to, then the compensation is €30 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.
No. Passengers A and B on the same flight, who missed the same meal service, are owed the same compensation, even if Passenger A spent €35 and passenger B spent €12 on food. Restoring an affected passenger to the position they would have been in with the meal is not a case-by-case issue; the item not delivered is a commodity, not situation-specific. An airline meal is hardly more than a starter on a short-haul flight like this. "Actual expense" is meaningless if the item being purchased is not comparable to the item lost, and you'd be hard-pressed to spend €35 on a like-for-like replacement for that small plate.

That person chose to replace a light meal missed on a flight with a full meal in the airport. It's a reasonable response, but it isn't a valid valuation of the loss. 3500 Avios or €35 is probably a pretty typical amount in this situation, but it has exactly zero to do with having a receipt for €35 from an airport eatery. It has to do with the actual value of the meal (€20 more than covers it) plus a reasonable, customary (i.e., not compulsory) gesture for the inconvenience.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Thumbs down

See, that I can see as being a worthwhile reason, particularly given how dietary requirements can be critical etc.

But I am actually quite serious in my own opinions, just like everyone else is with theirs. It just so happens that my opinion is a very unpopular one and is going to cause outrage, unfortunately. So believe what you will.
No, you are trolling this thread and not helping the OP in the slightest.
mrow, rapidex, KARFA and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:56 am

Is it possible to NOT eat food on short haul J and be compensated by default 5000 Avios instead?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
As a data point: 5000 Avios after an initial attempt by them to give zero was rebuffed (Oct 2018).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mausmaus
You're conflating two separate issues: what was lost and what was spent on a non-identical replacement. What you voluntarily spend on the replacement is not a factor in the value of the loss. What you voluntarily spend on the replacement is not a factor in the value of the loss.

If your car is deemed a total loss and you choose to buy a more expensive car, the insurance payout has nothing to do with what you chose to spend on your replacement car. It has to do with the value of the car that was lost.
Oh dear, I knew that I should not have broken my usual self-imposed restriction to try not to go anywhere near issues that look too much like real-world work - like discussing different methods of valuing a loss, or how an insurance payout is the payment of a contractual amount and not of compensation.

So if you'll forgive me, I will now respectfully bow out of this conversation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.