Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fair compensation for no meal in J LCY-FRA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by technical_bob
> c) 35 EUR as this was the cost of dinner in Frankfurt (I have the receipt)

This one. In many cases we're stuck wondering what fair value for compensation is, but in this instance we simply know exactly what your replacement dinner cost, so there's your compensation figure.
So you're saying that fair compensation is based only on what was spent? If you grabbed a €300 dinner instead of a €12 sandwich in this situation, that would be appropriate compensation? And the person with the sandwich should have spent €300 instead just to bill it to someone else?

€35 may be a reasonable request here, but the logic does not follow that simply having a receipt means that the item was equivalent to what was not available in flight as planned.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd ask for nothing less than enough Avios to cover a one way CE redemption from LCY to FRA. The cost of the meal you kept the receipt for has nothing to do with it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
It's refreshing to get sensible answers and frustrating that some may think of what the Op asks as a joke.
I know that a forum is open for any member's opinions but why do so many need to give a 'clever' answer?
GlasgowBlue and James91 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I received 3000 avios for a lack of meal on a flight from Manchester to London. For a slightly longer flight, I think 4500 avios is entirely reasonable. A lot of people board the plane expecting to have something to eat so wouldn’t have eaten beforehand, however much the food is despised by some! I quite like the cold food options on BA, personally.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mausmaus
So you're saying that fair compensation is based only on what was spent?
In general terms, that's what compensation normally involves: repaying someone the amount that they actually lost (which they often have a legal duty to reasonably minimise).

If they actually spent €12 that they should not have had to, then the compensation is €12 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.

If they actually spent €30 that they should not have had to, then the compensation is €30 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.

If they actually spent €300 that they should not have had to, but they could reasonably have restricted the actual amount spent to €30, then the compensation is €30 to restore them into the position in which they should have been.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
..... in which case, 9000 Avios in order to climb up to 30,000+ feet and eat a meal similar to what should have been received also seems completely reasonable, since that would restore them to where they should have been.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Not really. But it is the principle (for me).

BA markets a certain product, but fails miserably to deliver. BA should be held accountable for this.
Originally Posted by cayohueso
Every perk that an airline, or any business, offers to induce one to spend their money or to spend more money should be provided. The airline has obviously assigned value to these inducements to get you to pay for them, they are not complementary. Of course the failure of a business to provide what you bought and paid for should be refunded (but here couched in the term compensation).
Originally Posted by FEMW

yes it is - it is the principle that people paid a premium to fly in CE. BA advertise the Club Europe ‘experience’ of lounges and lovely food (whether it is crummy or absolutely delicious). They are breaking advertising standards by failing to provide.

Crummy food or not, BA should automatically compensate those who do not get meals or whose bags get delayed instead of the continuous obfuscation of copy/paste sentences which do not even relate to the actual flight.
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
exactly -- furthermore the "price" you pay is inflated toward the cost of the ticket. the sum of CE benefits is 2-3x eurotraveller, not $5 per benefit.
Originally Posted by bostonkarl
" Is compensation for the lack of a bit of crummy airline food on a 90-minute flight really worth fighting for? Or even necessary/justified? "

Yes. If no one complained, BA wouldn't load any food at all. When I pay for a service (and, yes, Avios are currency) I expect to get what I pay for.
Originally Posted by Gig103
You know what? I think it is. Not because of the actual value or inconvenience to OP, but on the principle of the matter. BA has committed to delivering a certain product and did not, and should be held accountable to that.
I think a lot of the above really need to consider that travel isn't a right for many people across the world, it's still a luxury. Even business-related travel could class as a luxury. The fact is that you got from A-B (presumably on time) safely and securely and a little bit of onboard food really is not worth moaning about. Had you been delayed or inconvenienced in one way or another, I could understand, but simply not getting it...come on, get a grip already. It's this kind of arrogance and compensation culture that really grinds my gears on this forum.

Originally Posted by Stormbel
It's refreshing to get sensible answers and frustrating that some may think of what the Op asks as a joke.
I know that a forum is open for any member's opinions but why do so many need to give a 'clever' answer?
Well, to be honest, it is a bit of a joke, but not a 'haha' joke.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by ilcannone
I think a lot of the above really need to consider that travel isn't a right for many people across the world, it's still a luxury.
And pointedly, it's a luxury that people pay for, in return for a promise of services to be rendered. When that promise is broken, it is reasonable for those paying for the service to feel aggrieved.
ijgordon and allturnleft like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
And pointedly, it's a luxury that people pay for, in return for a promise of services to be rendered. When that promise is broken, it is reasonable for those paying for the service to feel aggrieved.
Again, it's a little bit of food. Hardly the end of the world. People, IMHO, are just too overentitled these days. I'd be darn grateful to get anything in a catering mishap!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Again, it's a little bit of food. Hardly the end of the world. People, IMHO, are just too overentitled these days.
The food is pretty much the only differentiator between CE and ET out of LCY, and people often pay quite a premium to sit in CE. Therefore if you're happy to not have food, buy a ET ticket. But for those who have paid for CE I can see them getting upset when the main part of the CE difference over ET isn't delivered.
adrianlondon, wrp96 and James91 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
The food is pretty much the only differentiator between CE and ET out of LCY, and people often pay quite a premium to sit in CE. Therefore if you're happy to not have food, buy a ET ticket. But for those who have paid for CE I can see them getting upset when the main part of the CE difference over ET isn't delivered.
More fool then I guess.

I mean, christ, there are FAR worse things that could have happened...delays, cancellations, rerouting, etc...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
More fool then I guess.

I mean, christ, there are FAR worse things that could have happened...delays, cancellations, rerouting, etc...
Absolutely irrelevant in this scenario
ijgordon, adrianlondon and James91 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
More fool then I guess.

That worse things could have happened doesn't justify lesser wrongs. It doesn't take much thought to understand why that's true.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Any notion that an airline should
1) take money from passengers for provision of a premium onboard service,
2) fail to deliver the key distinguishing element of that service, but
3) then keep the whole of the amount paid anyway ..........
strikes me as totally indefensible.
ijgordon, PAL62V and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What do I get if one carrot slips of the plate as the meal is served?

Can't spend too much of the rest of your life worrying about the small things. Take whatever it is and be done with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.