Year End Question

Old Oct 13, 18, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Year End Question

My year ended on 8 October and I should have dropped to Bronze, however, my account says to Retain Silver 600 more points needed and tier points collection year ends 8 October 2019. Does this mean I have retained Silver?

I actually want to drop to Bronze as Iíve booked MAN-CPT-MAN on Qatar next week and then 4 BA flights so I can keep Silver for 2 years.
Old Oct 13, 18, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Membership year ends on the 8th of the month but yiur statue year ends on the last day of the following month - so in your case 30th November.
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:31 pm

I may miss something here but what advantage would dropping to Bronze have in this case. If you're Bronze you'll get back to Silver and keep it for close to two years. If you have been given leniency and given Silver until 2019 and would retain it until 2020, i.e. the same length of time as if you drop to Bronze and earn it backÖ
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by hypercrypt View Post
I may miss something here but what advantage would dropping to Bronze have in this case. If you're Bronze you'll get back to Silver and keep it for close to two years. If you have been given leniency and given Silver until 2019 and would retain it until 2020, i.e. the same length of time as if you drop to Bronze and earn it backÖ
I think what OP means is they spent money on the QR trip (partly) to get back up to Silver from Bronze, so may not have done so if Silver anyway.
Old Oct 13, 18, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
I think what OP means is they spent money on the QR trip (partly) to get back up to Silver from Bronze, so may not have done so if Silver anyway.
Thatís correct. By dropping to Bronze and then going back to Silver I get 23 months of Silver instead of one year of Silver.
Old Oct 13, 18, 2:37 pm

I think you end up with the same outcome, whether you drop to Bronze or not.
Old Oct 13, 18, 3:05 pm

Yes maybe OP is misunderstanding.

As above, whether you drop to Bronze or not makes no difference to what you'll get by (re)qualifying for Silver from your QR trip.

The only annoyance (which is what I thought was your concern) is that if you actually have qualified for Silver already until next year, you wouldn't have needed to do the QR trip now, i.e. it would have been potentially unnecessary spend at this stage. But either way, you will get Silver until November 2020.

Also re-reading your first post, I think it's clear you haven't retained Silver this year anyway. Your (new) tier point collection year ends 8 Oct 2019, but your current Silver membership ends 30 Nov 2018. You will be Bronze from 1 Dec 2018, until the QR trip and BA qualifying flights post.
Old Oct 14, 18, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn View Post

Thatís correct. By dropping to Bronze and then going back to Silver I get 23 months of Silver instead of one year of Silver.
There seems to be a lot of confusion here.

The OP is correct in that if the QR flight were in the old year (before 8th of month) that would trigger renewal for new year (I.e. 12 months), but if the OP drops to bronze, the flight will trigger 23 months of silver as BA give you the status you earn when promoted for your current year and the following year.

If the OP wants to know how BA are treating year end in the period where old year status still applies for following month, have a look at the order items bit of the executive club. Itís where you order bag tags and replacement cards. In the status bit it will say something about silver renewal pack pending or downgrade to bronze pack pending.

By the way what OP is doing gives most bang per buck as you only notionally drop a tier. Provided you are promoted back to old tier by end of next month you miss out on nothing through the status drop.

For reference I had this happen to me and got the 23 months with no lack of benefits as the OP describes.
Old Oct 14, 18, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FrancisA View Post

There seems to be a lot of confusion here.

The OP is correct in that if the QR flight were in the old year (before 8th of month) that would trigger renewal for new year (I.e. 12 months), but if the OP drops to bronze, the flight will trigger 23 months of silver as BA give you the status you earn when promoted for your current year and the following year.

If the OP wants to know how BA are treating year end in the period where old year status still applies for following month, have a look at the order items bit of the executive club. Itís where you order bag tags and replacement cards. In the status bit it will say something about silver renewal pack pending or downgrade to bronze pack pending.

By the way what OP is doing gives most bang per buck as you only notionally drop a tier. Provided you are promoted back to old tier by end of next month you miss out on nothing through the status drop.

For reference I had this happen to me and got the 23 months with no lack of benefits as the OP describes.
I logged in this morning and my order status is showing Silver renewal pack pending. In other circumstances I would be very grateful for BA retaining my Silver status without achieving 600 tier points. Iím going to see if they will downgrade me to Bronze.
Old Oct 14, 18, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I logged in this morning and my order status is showing Silver renewal pack pending. In other circumstances I would be very grateful for BA retaining my Silver status without achieving 600 tier points. Iím going to see if they will downgrade me to Bronze.
I donít see why you would want that to happen. Sounds like your QR flights* will retain silver for year to Oct Ď19, so youíll have silver status until end Nov 2020. If you drop to bronze youíll regain silver with your QR trip, which will be good until end Nov 2020. Same outcome.

*plus your 4 BA qualifying flights
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 6:25 am

There is absolutely zero point in downgrading to Bronze. By doing your QR trip you will retail Silver for an additional 12 months starting in 11 months, so you'll be silver for 23 months one way or the other.
Cymro and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Congratulations on the free renewal - it will make zero difference to when your next silver expires though!

Indeed, the reason for the renewal may even be that BA has looked ahead and seen that you have travel planned, so wants to keep you as a loyal customer.
Old Oct 16, 18, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

H
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Congratulations on the free renewal - it will make zero difference to when your next silver expires though!

Indeed, the reason for the renewal may even be that BA has looked ahead and seen that you have travel planned, so wants to keep you as a loyal customer.
I know I should be very grateful. Just a bit frustrating that I had booked a, now unnecessary, GLA-LHR-DUB-LHR-GLA trip.
Old Oct 16, 18, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
having not flown much in the last year as a Bronze, I had only 180 TPs at my membership year end last month but have just had a new Bronze card in the post, somewhat to my surprise. It's not even if I was close to the required 300 points.
Old Oct 17, 18, 6:46 am

H

I know I should be very grateful. Just a bit frustrating that I had booked a, now unnecessary, GLA-LHR-DUB-LHR-GLA trip.
Maybe you can use it as a push for Gold?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: